A year ago today I was waking up on the vent right about now!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

It's hard to believe a year has gone by since my mitral valve was repaired. I still think about the experience every day and am awed by the thought of what was done to fix me up. I believed I was asymptomatic at the time, but really just hadn't noticed my gradual decline. About eight months passed before I felt better than before surgery, and I am still noticing steady improvement in stamina. I have some misgivings about the minimally invasive (right thoracotomy) surgery, mostly from ongoing chest/muscle discomfort. Not convinced it is as great as it's cracked up to be. But that was a small price to pay to feel as good as I do now.

Something unexpected: I am much happier than before. I think it's from confronting mortality, giving up control, realizing how little I really need. I'm just so grateful to still be here.

Something odd: I’m still sleeping in the recliner. Mostly by force of habit at this point.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: Many thanks for this forum and all the folks on it. Y’all really helped me get through this. Especially in dealing with the fear.

Back