A Long Story of Minor Injurie on ACT

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BDMc

I was trying to get into the parking garage at work yesterday (we have to stop and have security check the trunk) when my PC called on my cell. My INR was 6.0, and he was following up to go over what I would do, and to see why it was so high. I explained that I'd been away for the weekend and missed some meals, (which usually does effect my INR) and that I thought I'd hold a dose, and retest in a few days. After reviewing my other recent INRs he said to do that and go back to usual dosing today, since I've been pretty stable. He closed saying "Just be careful, and don't hit your head." I pulled into the gate at the garage, and it wouldn't let me in with my pass card. I backed up, parked and went into the garage office to get it straitened out. After running my credit card, the manager tossed my card to me on his desk. I was rushing so I wouldn't be late for work, and in my haste, picked up his keys with my card (it had slid under them on his desk). I dashed out, a car was just leaving, and the gate was up I walked under it, realized the keys weren't mine, spun on my heal to go back...Whack! the gate came down grazing my forehead, and knocking me to the ground. I got a nice little bump on the head, a few very minor cuts, and a big scare. I parked as quickly as I could, called the doc back to tell him, and went to work to make sure they'd let me work with a big bandaid on my head. I then got an ice pack, and kept applying that for the next hour off and on. I was lucky, it was a minor blow, but wanted to post this because the bleeding stopped very quickly!:) Brian

You will have to be cautious for several days looking for any signs of possible bleeding inside your head. Not that I want to scare you, but even a small trickle of blood going on for a while could cause symptoms. There isn't much room in the brain area for anything else but your brain.

So, if you have a headache, eye problems, unwarranted sleepiness, or other things that might indicate worsening problems, get someone else to drive you directly to the ER.

Make sure that your family knows about what happened and what to look out for.

Seriously. Be careful and watch for symptoms, just in case.

My husband lost his mother last week to a brain bleed due to a slip and fall. At 74 years old, she was still working part time.

I know she had heart problems with arrhythmias, but no one ever told us what meds she was on. I would not be surprised to learn she was anticoagulated. And if she wasn't, then all the more reason for us anticoagulated persons to be careful about smacks to the head.

Thanks for your support gang! I think I managed to dodge the bullet this time, as it was really a grazing(?) blow. Had it got me on the top of my head it would be a different story. Nancy I did tell the folks I live with, just to be safe, but think I'll be OK in a few days. My real point in posting, and I agree it could've been serious, was that even with the high INR the bleeding stopped very quickly. I need to come up with a good story for the wounds though. The truth doesn't seem dramatic enough. Thanks again, Brian

Wow. Glad you are doing fine. I do wonder about the doctor jinxing you!! :p Definitely worth telling him!

Good that you told your housemates.... that allows them to act in your best interest which is definitely what they would want to do!

Be careful for awhile, now!! Please!

:) Marguerite

quickly

quickly

hi brian

i had a similar experience a few months ago; our cat mauled my face, it bleed a lot but stopped bleeding very quickly when my inr was approx 3.3. i felt this was very encouraging given all the old wives tales that we are in danger of bleeding to death after the slightest cut!

Brian, glad you're ok.

Thanks for posting the story. It's a good reminder to all of us.

In December my INR was a 5.4 and the next day I bite the end of my tongue big time. It bled for a many hours even with me holding tea bags on it. Wife got a laugh out that. :)

Latest posts

Back