A Global Hero is a runner - Apply for the 2013 Global Heroes team today

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Verrry interesting. I passed this along to a friend who is a member of the Dallas Running Club. SHE's got RA and is not eligible, but I'll bet there are some eligible people here in Texas!

There are a few of us here that have been Global Heroes.... Kodi, Mark Siwik, myself tht I know of right now. It is a great program....

I agree with you Tom and thank you. The only thing is we didn't receive the recognition the Medtronics offer. :) I have submitted an application this year and you should too. Would be nice to run the Twin Cities Marathon together.

Thanks Rebecca, I applied - I don't think I'm what they're looking for as I wasn't allowed to run until I got my new valve at 40 years old, and I'm sloth-like now! :) But Minneapolis in October would be divine . . .

Thanks Rebecca, I applied - I don't think I'm what they're looking for as I wasn't allowed to run until I got my new valve at 40 years old, and I'm sloth-like now! :) But Minneapolis in October would be divine . . .

Fast/Slow doesn't enter into the equation as far as I can see. The only reason they might reject you outright is if you haven't run at least a couple 10 mile or greater races since your procedure.

I got the following email from Medtronics saying I have no "recommendations" yet. I find this somewhat disconcerting since I would have thought the applications should stand on their own. Apparently, they are weighing the input of others to make their selection and it is not enough to simply give your own history and hope for inclusion.

Jack

--------------------------------------------------

Hello,

We have received your Application for the Medtronic Global Heroes Program, however there have not been any recommendations submitted to date.

Please have your friends, colleagues, family or medical contacts submit a recommendation for you by visiting www.medtronic.com/globalheroes -- click in the NOMINATE section of the web site and follow the instructions from there.

This must be completed by the application deadline, which is FRIDAY, APRIL 26, 2013.

Thank you,
Mary Ann
Global Heroes Program Headquarters
[email protected]
+ 1 952 844 4580 phone Mon-Fri, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm Central

Interesting information Jack. I guess they get so many apps the recommendations help to narrow the field down. At least then let you know and it gives you another opportunity.

Plus maybe they aren't so interested since you have a competitor's valve. Sure don't make sense since they are looking for people who are living an active life with the help of medical technology regardless of who manufacturers it.

Plus maybe they aren't so interested since you have a competitor's valve. Sure don't make sense since they are looking for people who are living an active life with the help of medical technology regardless of who manufacturers it.

There is nothing in the application about device manufacturer. They have no way of knowing which one you have.

Jack called your doctor and see if he will send a letter of recommendation to Global Hero. Sometimes they may also want to be sure that you are medically ok to race. I would like to see you run in this race. For most of my life I have been told that if I can't say three words I am working my heart too much. A year and half ago at the age of 54 I finally had my valve replace and I am still told that if I can't say three words I am working my heart too much

Hi All, A piece of good news. The wait is over. I received an email today that said I was selected for the TC 10Miler. I was on pins and needles from the time I applied for it as soon as registration was opened. I too did not realize that they needed recommendations until the last minute and I had to hustle everyone I knew of my interest in running (very few, I might add) to submit a recommendation. I hope some of you who applied were selected.
Now comes the real work of training for the event. I look forward to advice from those who have already participated in this event.
I will keep you all posted of my progress.
Thanks again to all of you that have motivated me to apply for this event.

Same here, but then I didn't bother sending in recommendations. Next year I'll have more running under my belt, and I'll know about the recommendations earlier!

Jack - five years of no? Unfair!

SumoRunner,
Sorry to hear that. The email I received specifically mentioned the essay being a key selection criterion; more than the actual running experience itself, IMO. I think I might have gotten lucky with it. Hope it works out for you next time.

Congrats ek, sorry again Jack! Ek, enjoy the event it is something you will never forget!

Latest posts

Back