A Date to meet the Surgeon

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Scottie

Just to keep you up to date ....four months and four days after being told I need surgery ..I will get to meet the surgeon ...got a date today for 24th April ...not too long a wait ...and once I've seen him ...I'll go on the waiting list for surgery ..should only be between six and nine months to wait then ...we are taking bets about whether surgery will be in 2002 or 2003 LOL....
just thought this news would make you folks across the big pond appreciate your Health Care ..even though you might feel it costs you dear !
from being told I had a problem to the end of surgery we are hopeful of being about two yrs ......just as well I'm a young un!..( well nearly a young un !)
Scottie

Thanks for letting us know, Scottie. It's been a long time and guess it will still be a while to go. But you keep us informed as it goes along. God bless

Surgery UK Style

Surgery UK Style

Hi Scottie,
so glad to hear that you are finally getting to meet the surgeon, its such a worry all the waiting,

I hope the waiting list for surgery is not too long,

Our health authority has been sending patients to Scotland for Surgery, our health service is in such a mess ,you wonder what the answer is,I can see us all being forced to have private health insurance in the near future,
I wonder if heart patients like us will be able too afford it.

Good Luck you remain in my thoughts

Jan

Hi Scottie

I really feel for you over there, but then again, we have our problems with our health care system too. Heck, it's been 5 months for me already and I still have yet to wade through the paperwork maze to the surgeon.

Please do keep us informed. :)

Hi Scottie-

Well, a little progress,eh? If you start feeling very unwell, do they move you up?

I'm hoping for you that your wait isn't too much longer than after your appointment. Others in your system have been pleasantly surprised.

Good luck

Hi Scottie

Great news that you have a date to meet the surgeon. At last things are happening for you. Unfortunately you then have the NHS waiting list. The waiting is the hardest part. Hopefully you will be taken sooner than they say. Give us an update after you have spoken with the surgeon. The day after you I go to the hospital for a checkup. Hopefully the routine tests will show that everything is ok. I have already been back to see the surgeon and he is pleased with things. I am feeling great other than I haven't quite got my fitness level back but I am working on it. Will be going back to work in a couple of weeks. :( Take care.

Scottie -

Good luck with your appointment! Let us know how it goes. Hopefully they won't keep you waiting too long.

I'm going to see the cardio on Tuesday and I'll let you know what he says about my valves ... we TOF-ers have to stick together! :D

Heather

Progress?

Progress?

Hey, Scottie, glad you are slated for the appointment for April...hope all goes well for you. Am interested in the question earlier asked...if you get worse do they move you up? Hopefully you won't have to worry about that anyway. Good luck.

hi scottie!
glad to hear you are finally getting to see the surgeon. hopefully, as all others here have said, they'll put you on that waiting list and take you sooner than later.
wishing you all the best and please let us know what the surgeon says.
be well,
sylvia

Scottie,
Good luck with the surgeon. I hope you get moved up on the list. Should we "bump off" the others ahead of you?
Sounds as if private insurance might be the way to go. Is it really that expensive?
Manky old NHS! who the heck do they think they are? I bet Tony Blair wouldn't go on a waiting list!

-Mara

Scottie

Scottie

Glad you are still here with us. I am glad you are now getting with the surgeon and too bad on the long wait. It can be hard to wait so long. My wait was hampered by an ditzy dentist. She is still practising for heavin's sakes. She had me wait so long that my aortic valve closed and it caused CHF. But I am doing better in that department, My only problems are water retention and salt. I love potato chips. But I am trying to quit. You keep hanging in there and keep busy somehow, the surgery time will be set soon. Good luck.

Caroline
09-13-01
Aortic valve replacement
St. Jude's valve

Thanks folks

Thanks folks

Thankyou all for your replies ....I asked my GP about being moved up the list ...she said that if my condition became life threatening ..like in an emergency then I would be admitted ..however she pointed out that because people are waiting so long many are admitted as ER cases and this causes the non urgent list to fall behind ...

Mara ..How are you and David doing?...Are you still planning a trip to Scotland this yr ?..I'd love to meet you both .

Caroline ..you keep trying to kick that potato chips (or crisps over here LOL...)

Heather ..what did your Cardio say ?

Peachy ..great to know you are doing so well ..well done !

Jan ..I remember my father saying many yrs ago when I had my first ops in London ..the no insurance would have covered the months I was in hospital and the ops and treatment I received ..He was old enough to remember life before the NHS and said he was so thankful that it was there for us in the 60's ...
although he said he would have sold everything he had to pay for treatment ..I for one am so glad he didn't have too ...Kids can feel guilty enough about being ill without family hardship because of their illness. Maybe we are the lucky ones ...

Thanks all ...Take care and stay healthy and safe
Scottie

Latest posts

Back