9 years of Toprol - Dr. says I can stop!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXGal

I had my mitral valve replacement in 2000 and since my surgery I have been on Coumadin, Lanoxin & Toprol. I've had very few A-fib episodes in which I've increased my Toprol and had an immediate reaction that helped slow my heart rate. I am only 30 years old and have gotten to a point in my life where I am tired of being tired! My B/P is always low (100/55 or so) and last night it was 98/47. I take 25mg every night, but decided to call my cardiologist and ask if it'd be ok if I tried living without Toprol to see if maybe then I'll have more energy. He agreed and said since my b/p is so low that it'd be ok, but if I have another A-fib then I would need to take Toprol again at that time. So, I am tapering off of it and am excited & nervous to see how my body responds.

I had several negative effects that occurred immediately following my mitral valve surgery in 2000 and have never been able to figure out what exactly caused each of them (surgery, meds, migraines??). Within months after my valve replacement my vision worsened dramatically and I ended up needing glasses to see in school. I was in college when I had my surgery and the semester before I had my surgery I had never had a problem seeing the board and had a 20/15 vision... but the semester after my surgery the board at school was a huge blur and I had to immediately get my eyes checked.

Also, I started suffering from migraines for the first time in my life and have for 9 years now. My main concern has been this "foggyness" I've had since my surgery. My long and short term memory over the years has been horrible! I blank out and loose my thoughts a lot and sometimes you can tell me the same thing over and over again and I'll forget it in the same day. I've tried explaining this to my husband and parents a hundred times over the years. I know who I was before my surgery and I know that something.. either the surgery itself (I've had 3), or the medications, or the migraines.. something has changed my sight and thinking process.

The most important thing I'm hoping tapering off of Toprol does is give me some sort of energy back in my life.. but I guess I'm secretly hoping that maybe this medicine has something to do with my foggy memory and blanking out problems and that my thinking returns back to the old me!

I've read several threads where people have said that Toprol caused foggyness, etc. So I'm praying that when I have this out of my system that some of my issues will be resolved! I'll let you all know the outcome! Thanks for listening..

:)

Well, I guess that means there's hope for me yet - I've been on a beta blocker since my surger just over two years ago; I have managed to get it to half of where it was initially, but no more (or less) than that, so far! I am hoping to get off everything fairly soon - 5 years post-surgery.

I hope this works for you - if not, maybe you could switch to another med of the same type, and see if your "fogginess" goes away?

Good deal Kristen, that sounds great..i hope it works out for you, so you can stay off of it. Keep us posted and let us know any affects that happens or doesnt happen from getting off of it.

Yay, Kirsten! : ) I totally know exactly what you mean about the fogginess and fatigue.

For a couple of years after my surgery I felt like I was truly "cooking with gas" and back to my old level of focus and mental sharpness. All of this started to decline, though, when I had to begin taking a seizure med. Then last March I was put on a beta blocker which I think has further slowed me down both mentally and physically. I talked to my cardio about getting off it but since I have an aneurysm she says I need to continue on it.

As a teacher I need every ounce of energy and quickness I can get to keep up with the kids so not a day goes by that I don't wish I could throw these meds in the garbage.

Still, this is great news for you and hope that you can stay off it for good.

Take care!

Cheers,
Michelle

Kristen,
I will be interested to see how you feel after being off of Toprol. I had my MV Repair 2 1/2 yrs ago and have been on Toprol, mostly 100mg, ever since. I have some other issues that I am not sure relate to this medication, such as my hands shaking. Come back and let us know how it goes. Good luck!

Chris

Yeah Kristen! I think you will feel so much better without the Toprol!

I was put on Toprol after my 3rd OHS & I felt absolutely miserable! Shakiness, fogginess, fatigue, low heart rate, you name it! :( As soon as the drs listened to me & took me off the Toprol, I felt like a complete new person!!!

I personally don't think ANYONE should have to take that medication or be kept on it for so long!!!

Good luck to you & let us know how you're doing.

They put me on Lopressor (metroprolol (sp?) before my AVR in a couple weeks. Just to try and strengthen my heart. I have low blood pressure and guess what its lowering it even farther. My heart rate however before meds is around 90-102. I am on the lowest dose now 12.5 twice daily. I was basically almost passing out with one dose. So they have told me I could just take it at night. I am hoping that I wont be on this after surgery. Not sure though.

thanks Everyone!

I'm hoping this works for me! I'm slowly weaning off (25mg every other day, then at the end of this week I'm going to go down to 12.5mg) even though my cardiologist didn't say I needed slowly taper off, all of the research I've done shows that it's necessary, so I'm taking all precautions to slowly get myself off of this drug.

Valerie - I know it must be hard getting on this drug and already having a low b/p. I've had my ups and downs with this Toprol and yes the higher you go the more fatigue you will feel. I've definitely had my moments/years where my heart was beating so slow and my b/p was so low I didn't want to do anything but lay around. I'm also on Lanoxin(i.e. Digoxin) to strengthen my heart and I don't know if I'll ever be getting off of this drug? Anyhow, best of luck with your upcoming surgery. I'd definitely talk to your doctor anytime you feel fatigue and keep a b/p machine with you if possible!

My late husband whom was awaiting a heart transplant was on Lanoxin and he never came off of it for 10 years. I wish almost they would put me on that other than this metroprolol...I hate being more tired than ever.

Good Luck though!

Back