88 year old grandfather needs Aortic Valve Stenosis Surgery, need some reasurance..

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigKyle

Hello everyone, I hope this is the right section for this, but I need some help putting my mind at ease, if that’s even possible.

After talking to a cardiologist today, my 88 year old grandfather will need to go in for Aortic Valve Stenosis surgery. They are not sure if they are going to perform open heart or if they are going to go in through the leg and perform a more invasive surgery.

The Dr said, even though he is 88, everything is really healthy, great, blood pressure, kidney, liver, ect ect.

What brought him to the Dr was yesterday at My sons, (his great grandsons) soccer game, he was walking back to his car after the game, and was very short of breath, he even needed me to open back up his chair and sit down. He didn’t have any chest pains , or dizziness or anything like that, just was extremely short of breath. I convinced him to just stop by the Hospital emergency room just to get checked out. Turns out he had some fluid around his lungs, which we all thought maybe it was a minor case of bronchitis. He had a few tests, cat scan, chest x-rays then they decided they wanted to keep him over night, just to keep an eye on him and monitor the fluids around his lungs.

When I went to visit him today, they were just finishing up with the EKG, and about an hour later the Cardiologist came in to share the news that Aortic Stenosis, is the causing factor behind all of this, and even if they clear the fluid out, it will just come back if we don’t replace this valve.

I am happy that other than that valve he is in great health, but surgery really has me freaked out about it and I can’t even seem to focus on anything else, I’m really worried.

Has anyone had anyone around his age have successful surgeries, I understand with all surgery there is risk , but is this family straight forward and there is not that much need to get this worked up?

any light you can shed on this would be great.

Thanks
Kyle

At that age, any surgery is not going to be a walk in the park. But, if the surgeon think he is in good shape, and can tolerate the surgery, he is most likely correct.
My grandmother, at the age of 95, started having fluid buildup in her lungs, and had open-heart surgery to replace her heart valve. Like your grandfather, she was in excellent shape other than her heart problem. She recovered from the valve replacement surgery with no complications and went on to live for another 6 years, until age 101.

I hope that provides at least one example that gives some reassurance.

Best wishes for a successful surgery and recovery for your grandfather.

What brought him to the Dr was yesterday.........
Kyle

Getting to imminent heart surgery from an ER visit in 24 hours seems a little unusual. I would certainly get a second opinion and talk with a surgeon before going into surgery at his age. Mayor surgeries are tough, especially on the elderly, and quality of life afterwards must be considered. I had a "healthy" 92 year old grandmother go thru major surgery....she lived to age 96, but was not the person she was prior to the surgery.

when I was in having my Aortic changed in 2011 I was the youngest in the ward. Most were over 70, it all depends on condition. There was one fella there in his 70's who was a carpenter. He was complaining to me about helping his grand daughters husband work on their house. The young fella (also a carpenter) just couldn't do a days work without powertools. Seems they made them tougher back then.

I get passed on the cross country ski tracks by 80 year old bastards all the time in winter. At the top of a hill I'm trying hard not to puke and they just ski past as if they teleported there not even breathing hard ... I didn't even see them behind me at the bottom of the hill..

tereve

Getting to imminent heart surgery from an ER visit in 24 hours seems a little unusual. I would certainly get a second opinion and talk with a surgeon before going into surgery at his age. Mayor surgeries are tough, especially on the elderly, and quality of life afterwards must be considered. I had a "healthy" 92 year old grandmother go thru major surgery....she lived to age 96, but was not the person she was prior to the surgery.

I dont feel like they are rushing or pushing the surgery, we went to the ER on saterday, after bout 5 hours they transfered him to the main hospital (the ER was a satellite office) he stayed there untill last night, they they transfered them to a major hospital in the state. they said they still want to run a few more tests an make sure that surgery is still as needed as they thought

I'd second the suggestion to get a second or even third opinion. Yes, he likely needs the valve replaced, but what are the options. TAVR may be an option at his age and he could recover more quickly from it. Baloon valvuplasty might be an option at his age. It typically is not a permanent option, ie - it doesn't last. I hate to be morbid, but how long does he truly have and what quality of life does he expect? Obviously, that's easy for me to say. It's his decision.

If it is valve stenosis, it will kill him sooner than later, so his options are limited to surgery or death. If your grandfather has his wits about him, it's his decision, not yours. Rest easy with what he wants, he knows best his own life. His age has brought him wisdom you do not yet have.

My mother in law had the same problems at 83, it was stenosis and she chose surgery rather than death. They operated and afterwards told her she would have been dead within the week due to the deterioration. She had no problems related to the valve but she had complications due to her other health problems. She lived about 3 more years, but was not very mobile. She never regretted the surgery.

It is not uncommon for otherwise healthy people to have valve replacement surgery well into their eighties. His chances are excellent with the surgery but not so good if he does not have the valve replaced. Of course, it won't be easy on him (or you) but he most likely will do just fine.

It would be wonderful if they opt for the far less invasive replacement through his groin. Percutaneous (TAVR) Replacement would be much easier on him.

If the hospital where he now is won't do (doesn't do) Percutaneous replacements, you well may wish to get him to a major heart center such as Mass General or Brigham and Womens in Boston or one of the fine heart hospitals in NYC. Not all cardiac surgeons/hospitals are expert at it yet. I see you are in Connecticut which makes Boston or NYC relatively easy Before I'd agree to open chest OHS, I'd want more investigation into TAVR.

Let us know the decision and how he is doing.
All best wishes.

Back