8 month check-up

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorraine

Just had my 8 month check-up today. My cardio says everythings appears to be fine. I had taken antibiotics to go to get my teeth cleaned this morning and my INR this afternoon was 4.0. Would this make my INR higher? This was the first time I went to the dentist since surgery. I was petrified that I was going to bleed all over everything when they cleaned my teeth so I didn'yt gpo at six months. There wasn't much blood at all though, so I was surprised when my reading was a 4.0 in the afternoon. Gina already lectured me about the importnace of getting my teeth cleaned regularly. I was just so afraid after surgery with being on Coumadin. I'm starting to settle down a little now about that. I also talked wit my cardio about getting a Protime Machine and he said he would sign the papers for me, so :cool: Has anyone out there that has gotten a Protime Machine had any problem with their insurance if their doctor did recommend it? I imagine it depends on the insurance. I have a Blue Cross/Blue Shield PPO. I feel great that I had my teeth cleaned without any problems and my report from my doctor was good. I'll always stay on guard with the Coumadin though. Take care, everyone!!

Hi Lorriane,

Hey,,, Congrats on the great checkup! Yes, antibiodics do have a tendency to raise your INR. Some more than others.

I would strongly suggest that you work with Lance or Brian at QAS to help you with filing for your home testing unit. Lance helped me. He filed all the paperwork, contacted my doctor, and delt with the medical review board at my insurance company. He was a great help.

My insurance company did not cover it at first. The medical necessity had to be reviewed by the insurance review board. So, I also wrote a letter explaining my condition, the frequency of my tests, my work, the travel involved, and the diet concerns while being on the road. My letter helped alot.

Hope this helps,

Rob

Last edited:
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the info about antibiotics. I kinda figured that same thing. I didn't think I would have been a 4.0 in the afternoon but hardly bled for the cleaning unless the antibiotics played a role in there somewhere. I'll have to remember next time I get a cleaning, not to do it on the same day as my INR reading unless the cleaning is a few hours after the INR reading.
I'm going to call Lance tomorrow. I'm pretty busy today. I want to get this rolling. I had read before how much they have helped various members get their Protime machines. Thanks for your help! :)

Latest posts

Back