~72 hours and counting

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

robertr

Monday Morning is the due date for my AVR. I had a Card Cath last Tuesday and the news was that my aorta has dialated lessening the prospects of having a Ross Procedure done. This was discuouraging to me becasue I was convinced that this was the best chance I had to not have another OHS in my lifetime as I am 46 years old. Plus I have one of the best Ross procedure surgeons available to me in Dr. William Ryan (Dallas). He said that *if* the Pulmonary root was thick enough that it might still be possible to do the Ross, but I think he felt those were slim odds. He said that the issues they have had with the Ross are when the aortic root is not strong enough (at least I think that's what he meant), and he would opt not to risk performing the Ross unless the Pulmonary root is thick and strong, or "Perfect" in his words (Again, I think that's what he meant). He is leaning towards a Medtronics Stentless Porcine Valve, which was my 2nd preference (ie, to go with a tissue valve). I am concerned that I will be back on the OHS roster within ~10 years or so if we go that route. I have great confidence in Dr. Ryan that he will do the right thing for me - my concern is that if the right thing is a tissue valve I won't make it to the finish line without another OHS.

Other than this, I'm doing great! Except for the fear and anxiety of course...

:(

-Robert

Best wishes for your surgery on Monday! I will be thinking and praying for you speedy recovery. Try to enjoy your weekend, relax a little, do something you love!

Jamie

Good morning Rob. I am sorry about the Ross news. I would be disappointed if the plans were changed at the last minute also. I am sure Dr. Ryan is making the best decision for you. My son is a couple of days behind you- we have spoken before. He also will be facing another surgery within the next ten years. A little disheartening, I know. Just know that you are in our prayers as we wish you godspeed through this and smooth sailing on the other side.

Robert,

Wishing you well. We will have you in our prayers. Looking forward to hearing about your surgery and a boring recovery.

I had a few bumps on the recovery path but all in all it was not near as bad as I feared. Enjoy your weekend.

Tom

Wishing you well for Monday! Things happen for a reason so keep your chin up, do something special that you enjoy this weekend and enjoy it to the fullest:)

So sorry that the chances for the Ross have dimmed, but be thankful that you have a good surgeon that will do the "right" thing. Best wishes for a successful surgery and we look forward to hearing all good news.

Robert. I just wanted to say that I'm sorry your first choice may not be available to you. Those are difficult things to process while you are waiting. But, better to go with a different valve, than to be in again sooner with a failed Ross performed by an overly cavalier surgeon!

Talk with your surgeon some more about the longevity issue with the tissue valves. I chose bovine at age 52 (and my teetering on the edge of statistics, your extra 6 years youthfulness is significant) and on 3 separate ocassions, my surgeon said given the statistics that are just now rolling in, this one could very well last me my entire lifetime. "Could", literally being the "operative" word, here.

There were a few days, there, after my surgery (which was textbook and boring) where I wondered why on earth I'd basically signed up for another one down the road. But now, 7 weeks out, I'm very, very glad that I stayed true to my instincts about the choice. All I'm saying is, there is no perfect choice in some cases. The thing you must keep in mind is that whatever you choose, you get to live! Stay optimisitc. Read some more, ask some more and then go with your gut on this one.....it should be true to you.

Post again as you're headed in so we can wish you well and keep you in mind!!

Good luck!

Marguerite

robert....try not to worry too much about it and just accept that everything will work out for the best. the tissue valve that dr. ryan is suggesting is the same thing that i have. the ross procedure was the plan and the tissue was the back up. the ross was unable to be done for different reasons but now that i have the valve...i am happier with the results. i go see dr. ryan on the 23rd since he is doing surgeries all next week...i guess you are one of them. just try not to stress yourself out too much...the pre-surgery is the worse part of the whole process. i went and saw my cardio yesterday to get the results back from my echo. my heart is completely back to the normal size range and my ejection fraction went from 20% pre-surgery to 60% a year later...which was questionable due to the size of my heart enlargement and what not. i work down the street from presby so shoot me a pm if you want. let me know what your last name is and i will try to visit you once you get a room. if you have any questions about what to expect and need a play by play of what i went through let me know :)

Robert,
Best of luck to you on Monday. We will see you on the other side of the mountain. If you can, do something you enjoy this weekend. This advice was given to me, so my wife and I went to the beautiful Oregon coast. It was one of the most memorable trips we have ever taken.

We will be thinking about you on Monday.

Doug

You'll have a good outcome

You'll have a good outcome

Robert -

While the prospects have dimmed for the Ross, I can tell you that you should be very happy if you decide to go with the Medtronic Stentless valve.

I spent countless hours on this site and others, talking to many medical professionals and valve recipients and ultimately chose to go with the Medtronic device. I'm only 4 weeks post-op, but I've had an excellent recovery (I went out to dinner 8 days after surgery and no one could tell that I'd had any problem, let alone OHS). I'm 43 and was obviously concerned about the eventual re-op. Essentially my surgeon suggested what Marguerite's did: that the research is stll coming in, but that I could expect this valve to last longer than the roughly 15 years that is quoted to many people. No guarantees, of course, but that sounded good to me, given a pretty much maintenance-free valve (I take an aspirin a day). Right now I'm totally focused on walking and resting and healing this little ticker...hopefully it'll pay off with a nice return on the valve.

Feel free to PM me for any questions or more information.

I'll be thinking of you on Monday. You'll do just fine.

Kristine

Hello Robert !!

Hello Robert !!

Sorry that your first choice may not be available. Time before surgery is the hardest. I was so confused about valve selection, just couldn't decide which valve to go with, but I finally made the choice and had gone with tissue valve, and happy with my choice. I am in 4th week post OHS :) , its much much better than I thought it would be after 3 weeks, the EKG today very good. It is working :D .
And yeah, I'll be going through another OHS at some point( I am 29 ), this was my second OHS, first one was 22 years ago.

We will keep you in our prayers!!!. and will be watching for your post under 'Post-Surgery' thread on this side of the mountain :)

Hey Robert,
Good luck on Monday, it will go fine, I also didn't get my first choice but was pleasently surprised to get my third choice. I also picked a Ross doc since I wanted a Ross. But as his nurse said, "you picked him for is expertise, he knows what you want, he will make the best decision when he sees the condition of everything in there".

Hi Rob

I will put you and your family in my vr prayers for Monday. Go with what your surgeon says.....he knows best. If you can't have a Ross done, it's ok, you will still be fine. It will all work out, and now it's out of your control. Let them do what they do best!!!

Please have someone post and let us know how you're doing.

Godspeed.

Evelyn

Wishing you the Best

Wishing you the Best

Robert,
From what I read, you are in good hands. I am sure Dr. Ryan will do the best by you. I am scheduled for a Ross on July 5th with Dr. Oswalt in Austin, Texas. I may also have to have an alternate plan if my Pulmonary valve is also bicuspid like my aorta. I understand your concerns about your second choice. It is so difficult knowing which way to go. You are a few years younger than me but we are both in that in-between range due to our ages.
My prayers are with you for Monday! Soon you will be on your way back to the races. My best to you, Robert.
Terry

Latest posts

Back