6 Month Update-Thankful

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Survived03

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I am six months out since AS and BAV surgical replacement with an Inspiris Reselia bovine tissue valve and wanted to provide a short update. This was my second OHS, the first surgery being a valve sparing aortic aneurysm repair twenty years ago. I have to say that the recovery was much smoother and for the most part quicker than the first surgery. I have been back in the gym for months and actually put some muscle back on this old body. Stamina is good and better than pre-surgery. Although I still get out of breath climbing stairs or a hill if starting from a standstill. It seems that I need more warm-up time than before but hopefully this will improve too. Resting heart rate is 50-55 bpm and 120 at peak exercise defined as 6.5 METS on an elliptical machine. I am currently only on losartan for blood pressure. I was also on amiodarone post surgery for afib, but stopped almost 12 weeks ago. I have had very few short arrythmias since stopping amiodarone and just completed another 14 days on a zio monitor for a 24/7 view of my heart rhythm. While awake I am very aware of arrythmias so I'm optimistic that the monitor will show a classic normal sinus rhythm. If so I will also be able to stop the apixaban that I am taking for stroke protection.

So on the eve of our US Thanksgiving I am very grateful. I had a lot of support pre and post surgery, including this forum. Its hard to describe to others what small gestures meant to me during the pre and post surgery timeframe. I hope that I am able to give the same back to others in need.

For now I will remain optimistic and live each day as if it were a gift. To those celebrating Thanksgiving I hope it is peaceful and happy and celebrated with family and friends.

Latest posts

Back