6 month milestone

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Ron K

Hi All,

I just wanted to say that my recovery has been going nicely and I'm feeling great!

One of the earliest responses I got to a question I posted about what to expect during the recovery period was from a nice guy from "down under" telling me that 6 months after he had his valve replacement, he won his first competative tennis tournament, and he was only a couple of years younger than me. That post was one of the ones that helped me keep a positive attitude going into the surgery.

Well, last night I entered and won a local bowling tournament, which meant more to me emotionally than the prize money did.

I was bowling in 2 or 3 leagues before my surgery and carrying a decent average. I returned to bowling about 8 weeks after surgery and I have been doing better than ever. In fact, my average is up by about 10 pins from where it was. Another first for me was finishing with an final average over 200 in a summer league that ended last week.

I'm not bragging, but just trying to encourage others that are starting their climb up the mountain that there are a lot of success stories to focus on.

I went through a cardio-rehab program for about 8 weeks, took a few weeks off, then joined the local YMCA. My wife and I work out about 3 times a week. The only restriction I have is not to lift too much, so they set up a program for me that skips the bench presses and a few of the other nautilus machines. I do all the leg, lower back, abdominal, and some arm exercises, plus a lot of walking on the tread mills.. I really feel good when I've finished working out.

The only negative I have to mention is that I am on medication for hypertension now, but it's relatively low dosage. However, I never had high blood pressure until about 3 months before my surgery.

Also, my mitral valve is leaking at a mild to moderate level, but the cardiologist doesn't seem very concerned about that at all. He doubts that it will ever require another surgery. I do wish that the surgeon had repaired that while I was on the table for the aortic valve replacement, but the TEE at the time of the operation didn't show that the mitral valve required any attention.

I don't have any more memory lapses than I did before the surgery, at least none that I remember.

Best of all, I feel that my religous faith has been strenghtened, as has my appreciation of life in general. It's a wonderful feeling.

Thanks again to all of you who helped me along the way.

Hi Ron-

It's hard to imagine that 6 months have elapsed since you had surgery. I remember when you were getting ready to get it done.

You sound so wonderful and vibrant and healthy. I'm wishing you no more heart problems for ever and ever.

You've surely come out a winner!

Ron,
Wow! Over a 200 average! What a wonderful recovery you've made. I'm sure that those who are facing surgery and read your posting will be greatly encouraged. I do have one question. Now that I've had my surgery, will I start bowling over 200 too (bowled maybe a dozen times in my life)?:D

Thanks for sharing this with us, Ron, and keep on rolling those strikes!
--John

Great news, Ron. These milestones are very important to us in our recovery. That's why we all share them with each other.

Wonderful that your life is back to normal, isn't it. And by looking at your picture, you don't look a day older than you did before surgery! LOL

Wow, is that ever a glowing report! Ron, it's hard for me to believe that 6 months have already gone by. I remember watching for your status as you were only a few weeks ahead of me.

Great news...will look for another similar report in another 6 months.

Johnny

Scored a 300 yet?

Scored a 300 yet?

Yes, indeed, what a glowing report!

Congratulations. Ron. Keep up the good work.

p.s. I haven't bowled in years, but my golf score keeps improving.

Regards,

Congratulations Ron, I'm so glad to hear everything's going so well for you. I'm about 2 months behind you, I passed my 4 month mark on Saturday and to me that was a big deal. It's so nice to see you going out and doing things that bring you great joy. I love to bowl, Although I'm not that great. It was my big request before both my surgeries to go out bowling with all my friends, and my boyfriend and I are thinking about joining a couple's league and I doubted myself being able to do it but after seeing your post you inspired me, I'll let you know how it goes.
Happy 6 month anniversary! Wishing you all the best and your 1 year will be here before you know it. Take care and God Bless!

Yes SIR,

What a remarkable score. You and the others make me think I might have been mistaken about this surgery I have coming up being a "death sentence". I admit that my preconceptions are that hospitals are negative to THAT EXTREME.

Thanks for your inspiration and sharing. I, too, share your sense of renewed religious convictions.

We are all very happy for your achievement of this great milestone and know there will be many more.

Best Wishs

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks for the nice responses.

John C. --- I know you can bowl 200, even with you're limited experience on the lanes. It may take you a game and a half or even two, but you will eventually get to 200 and better. But the improtant thing is that you are able to participate in this sport, or golf, or swimming, etc. after going through open heart surgery. Many people doubt that they will ever be able to do so after surgery.

Perry --- Glad to hear your golf scores are improving. My golf scores are almost as high as my bowling average. That's why I gave that game up 30 years ago.

Nancy, Hensylee, and Johnny ... yes it is hard to believe that 6 months has gone by so quickly. Thanks for the warm wishes. It's been great being a part of this group.

Nicole ... go ahead and join that bowling league, if you enjoy the sport as much as you say. You can have a lot of fun and meet some nice people while getting a little physical exercise. One nice thing is that you can bowl for a lot of years, unlike sports such as basketball, baseball, rollerblading, etc. There are several 80+ year old men and women that bowl in one of the senior leagues down here. However, check with your MD first. You may have to wait a couple of months due to your recent "de-wiring."

Bill A. --- My posting was exactly for folks like you. It's important to realize you're going to be able to live a normal life and do everything you did before the surgery, and in some cases, even more when the surgery and a reasonable recovery time has passed.

I found my faith in God to be very comforting prior to the surgery and especially when I was lying in the hallway waiting to be wheeled into the operating room. Everyday since the surgery, I thank God for his grace and for the many blessings He has given me. Maybe it took the seriousness of the medical problem to help me gain this wisdom. I'll be following you closely on the board.

Ron K

Last edited:
Hey Ron

Hey Ron

Thanks for posting ..I for one do find good stories encouraging ...so glad things are going good for you .
Well done on your bowling ..my hubby is a golf fanatic so I know how important sport can be to some peoples well being ..although give me a good book anyday:)
I hope you continue to post as I always find your words encouraging too. Take care and best wishes for a continued great recovery.
Scottie

Latest posts

Back