6 days Post Op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCCWS

Had a tissue Aortic Valve Replacement a week ago tomorrow. Male 63 Everything went well: The highlights so far:

1. No bypasses expected going in due to CC but the Dr. found some tissue concerns around the aorta so had to do some patchwork besides the valve. Said it saved me a future trip back for OHS
2. The tube down the throat has been talked about a lot. I slept through most but the gauging of my ability to breathe alone for about an hour was tough since they jogged me as soon as i started to sleep. That was the worst part as I just wanted the hour to end and get it out.
3. I never had any pain. I had upper shoulder discomfort but I passed on all the pain meds after one 2 ml of morphine. I was very lucky because I am sure it was not my toughness. Still just using regular tylenol for minor aches.
4. There must be reserved seats in heaven for nurses.
5. The coughing started Day 4 and I had two extended bouts where I either passed out or became disoriented for a couple of seconds. That was the worst part of the early recovery but then a nurse observed I was so concerned when extended cough started that i stopped breathing normally. Still having 1 or 2 a day but I am concentrating on breathing now.
6. Had one extended ( 2 hours) bout of A-Fib and one short ( 12 minutes) in hospital. Doc says that was normal.
7. Doing well at home but still not sleeping well because of nagging coughing.
8. Getting the Visiting Nurse for 1st home visit today was a nightmare w Insurance Company because the Case manager was in jury duty yesterday. Actually was on the phone for 3 hours yesterday/last night my first day back. aagggh
9. First time ever in hospital for any overnight so I had some concerns going in. The experience w the whole hospital staff was terrific.
10. VERY IMPORTANT to warn your significant other that the view will not be pretty in the recovery room. I did but my wife said she still was stunned that I looked so puffy and with all the tubes.
11. This site is terrific for preparing for the procedure. But every case is different which makes sense w the myriad of conditions, ages, health conditions and problems associated w OHS. I think for those going in, be positive. With a week today, I think I was lucky to have a fairly routine replacement w minimal discomfort afterwards. Hopefully this will continue. I also hope your hotel and staff treat you as well as mine did.

Latest posts

Back