5 weeks post-op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathy

Hello,

It is five weeks post-op for me. I posted on the pre-surgery board with questions about recovery and dextrocardia 2 or 3 days before I was hospitalized and received many practical and supportive responses.

I went to the Cleveland Clinic two days prior to surgery for pre-op instructions and a meeting with the surgeon, Dr Petterson, assuming that I would be having a replacement and would going to opt for the bovine mitral valve. I was surprised when he said that I might be a candidate for repair. I told my husband that the first thing that I wanted to know post-op was whether it was a repair. I was delighted to know that it was repaired.

I spent 3 days in I.C.U. because my heart rate was dangerously low. I then transferred to the step-down unit where I remained for another 12 days. I was experiencing A Fib. They gave my heart some time to regulate itself. Unfortunately, that was not the case. They were unable to send me home on drugs to regulate the A Fib, because my heart rate continued to drop to very low levels. I was told that I would need a pacemaker and that I would have to wait until there was an opening in the schedule. After 6 days of waiting my husband contacted the Ombudsman and I was on the schedule the next day.

Overall, I was quite pleased with the medical treatment. I worked at a hospital for 7 years and know that not all medical staff are equally competent or charming! I found the staff at CCF to be consistently well-informed and warm. Of course, having worked in a hospital, I also knew that if I was pleasant, I would be likely to receive good treatment.

I was happy to be heading home, but when I actually was out the door it was a bit unnerving to be out on my own with no monitors as I had been hooked up for the previous 15 days. I knew that I would be going home to a bed that didn?t have a handy little button to lift me up and that an RN would not be available to answer my calls.

My husband had closed his business while we were in Cleveland and had a major project that needed to be completed. Fortunately, my favorite aunt came from NY to watch over me and my daughter-in-law came from NJ to assist my husband with his project. My sister-in-law came to help after my aunt left and just headed home yesterday. We were quite fortunate to have so much support.

I needed to receive shots of Lovinox after leaving the hospital. I was shocked to think that they were going to allow my husband to give me shots. Fortunately, I have several friends that are RNs and they oversaw things the first few days. I am now on Warfarin Sodium, which is a challenge that I did not wish to face. I am relieved to learn that I can continue to eat green, leafy vegetables as long as I am consistent. The cardiologist that I am now seeing at home belongs to a practice which has a Coumadin Clinic which has worked out well. I was told there is a possibility that the A Fib will resolve itself and I may not be on Coumadin for life.

Once again, I really appreciated the support of the people on this board.

Kathy

Hey Kathy,
Glad to hear everything is OK and you are doing fine. You will continue to get better each day. If and when you start cardiac rehab you will notice a big difference. The 21st of August will be 4 months for me and I continue to feel better each day. Take Care.

Dave

Welcome back Kathy

Time will tell. Time will tell.

Some people go through this stuff and come out with no complications. Then there are some of us that have mild to severe complications. One things for sure, If we did nothing, we wouldn't be around very long. :)

Latest posts

Back