4 weeks after surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Granbonny

:) Tomorrow I will be 4 weeks into my recovery...First 2 weeks were confusing..3rd week I was up walking and this past week..2 doctor appointments..Card. said he would see me in 3 months..Off all meds..Hyzaar..once a day.....However, learned that if I do too much (car trip) ect. feel weak the the next day.When is a good average time to get back to one's self..I have heard 4-6 weeks..8 weeks? Feel sorry for hubby having to do all housework..haAlso wondering if anyone has a problem with air trapped in throat..burping air most of day..Card. says it is all in my mind..Glad I found this site..Have ordered tee shirt...Granbonny

Hi Granbonny-

Welcome to this wonderful site. You'll love it here. So many fine people who have all kinds of experiences regarding heart valve surgery and beyond. You'll be sure to get lots of answers to your questions.

Did you get a St. Jude mechanical or another type St. Jude valve?

My husband is the one who's had all the surgery. I don't remember specifically air being trapped in his throat right after surgery. However, he has had lots of irritation from the breathing tubes and this takes a while to heal. Maybe that's part of the problem. Perhaps your throat was stretched a little and has irritation. I bet with a little more time, it will correct itself.

Joe's voice was also hoarse for a long time, and even now he cannot speak very loudly. This surgery has some benefits beyond repairing the heart, LOL. :D :D

Hope to see you here often.

Hello and Welcome Granbonny

Everyone is a little different, but 6 to 8 weeks seems to be a minimum, with some going even longer. Your mileage may vary.
I would think that by 6 to 8 weeks, you'd be feeling much better.
Don't worry about the tiredness and don't over do. Take it easy and let the spouse have all the work for now, with what you've been through, you should be treated like royalty anyhow. :)

Thank you Nancy and Ross for your replies...I have found this site very helfful in my recovery..Nancy, you asked about my valve. It isa St. Jude's...I also have the ball rolling on a ProTime home system...since I will be on coumadin for life..We live in the beautiful North Ga. Mts..an hour down to the doctor's office to be tested..plus John and I love to travel in our motorhome...Just hope my insurance will help pay some or all...I'm 4 weeks and 4 days since operation...Most of the day is so-so..Seem to feel good in a.m. and then downhill the rest of day...Looking forward to feeling like driving down to watch my grandson play ball..Hopefully that will come in another week or so..Thanks again for replies...Bonnie Anderson..

Bonnie!

Congratulations on your sucessful surgery! Isn't life grand???

My husbands cardio in Boston told us that at three months, the bulk of the recovery is done. There would be some improvement in the next three months, but not a lot. So, plan on three months till you feel pretty darn good!

Have fun in the motor home!

Marybeth

4 Weeks and still going !

4 Weeks and still going !

Hi Gang!

At the 4 week mark! It seems as though I have hit a "plateau". The past couple of days have been pretty much the same. Most pain is gone except for directly over the breast bone. :eek: It is also difficult to get used to my pulse. It seems quicker and louder then I remember before the surgery. Is this normal after an AVR? I did manage to sneeze today without popping a stitch so I guess that's OK. Thanks in advance to all on this forum.

Greg T

Last edited:
Hi Granbonny,

When I asked about recovery periods prior to my surgery everyone said "you'll go home and feel better every day". That is true but what I missed was how low I would start out. I had ignored the immensity of the surgery.
I was warned no heavy lifting, limit use of stairs etc. In the hospital I was given a list of what I could and couldn't do. My wife and I would read it and laugh. Things like quiet conversations were allowed, laying railway track was not.
At the same time I was encouraged to walk and told I should build to 30 minutes in about four weeks. I tended to take it easy and probably hit 30 minutes closer to eight weeks. However we live in a older home with three stories. Our bedroom is on the third floor and so I did stairs alot right from the start. Not a good idea.
I also found I was short of breath on any exertion, more so than prior to the surgery. I have been told this might be due to a lack of iron a common side effect of the surgery. I also have had a problem with pain in my upper left chest and a tingling in my left fingers. I was told that this was a common side effect of the surgery as well and would go away in six weeks. After ten weeks it is better but still with me.
I have been told that after three months things are back to normal and everyone goes back to work etc. I have a sense it takes longer.

This is not the place for vacation advice but a friend of ours recently moved to Georgia and we are thinking of a week next spring on Tybee Island. Have you been and if so what is it like??

Tom Harrison

Recovery

Recovery

Hi Greg and Ton..It seems like the 3 of us are running pretty close together on our recovery period. I will be 8 weeks tomorrow...This is a crazy recovery..The weekend of 3rd week I drove into town with sister and her granddaughter and did the sites in Helen (Tom ,Helen is #1 tourist town in Ga..in the mountains and everything is Bavarian) Tybee Island and all the other islands off the coast of Ga. tend to be VERY humid..Depends on if you are there before the weather gets hot)..The 4th week and 5th week had some setbacks...Depression, no energy..however, I continued to go out and walk..6th weekend ..rode over to Alabama to spend the weekend with my 87 year old Dad (Mama died suddenly on Oct. 26th of last year..and that is when I first noticed my lack of energy, ect..attibuted everything to her passing..)..Did great on the car ride..(6 hrs.) I never have had any pain..not even in hospital...Glad I got your e-mail Tom this a.m...because I would like to know too..I tend to wake early and cannot go back to sleep because of the loudness of the valve..Do not hear it during the day. Also, b/p is great..but pulse seems to stay in the 90's lately..Guess I need to call Card's office on go back on a beta blocker....Back to pain..I decided to walk my frisky small dog on a leash 2 days ago..pain in shoulder blades lasted about a day..Won't do that again..Good to vent to people who had surgery around same time I did..Let's chat again..Bonnie

Hi GranBonny:

Isn't this forum great. Now I don't feel so bad about my pulse being in the low 80's. The pounding is a bit un-nerving though, especialy in the morning. I am still on Toprol-XL so that's probably what is keeping it in that range. Have you heard if the pounding ever goes away(gracefully I mean!). I too am low on energy, I think Tom may be on to something with that iron idea. Might try multi-vitamin or an iron supplement.

Greg T

6-Weeks and feelin' great!

6-Weeks and feelin' great!

Hi everyone:

I am at the 6 week point since my surgery. My surgeon says I can go back to work and drive! I am up to 2 miles/day with my walking and it feels great to take a deep breath without having to stop! It also feels great to be exhuasted without any chest pain! I another month I can cut the grass in my yard! Still on Toprol and the ever present coumadin. Thanks to all on this forum.

Greg T.

9 weeks post op

9 weeks post op

Hi Greg, Glad to hear you are feeling better..Me too..This week (my 9th)..I am really moving good..Driving around town..walking fast..hanging out at the pool with friends (heat does bother me a tad)..Keep a light shirt on over chest..No sun reaction to coumadin so I am getting a rather nice tan..Card's nurse called yesterday to tell me I could go 3 weeks before testing for INR again..Hooray..I have stayed in range since I came home..Keep on improving. Bonnie

Latest posts

Back