4-week update

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGymGuy

Has it been 4 weeks already????? It's crazy how time passes so fast.

So, it has been 4 weeks since my surgery. Here is a - 1-week update. And, here is a - 2-week update. Lastly, here is the 3-week update.

This is, probably, my last weekly update. You will see next one after I see my surgeon in 2 weeks or better yet after the CT Scan after that.

As always, here are the good things and things that improved.

• I am off of all the meds but my life-long, best friend, Coumadin and, of course, my vitamins.
  • My resting heart-rate is in the low 70s, high 60s, and once the Metoprolol is completely gone from my system and I up my physical activity a bit, I am hoping it will get to mid-60s, and then some months later back to low 60s, high 50s.
  • My feet and hands are no longer freezing cold. I do not have to wear a bear during mid-day to stay warm. I still get occasional cold hands, but it does not happen daily and will only be less from here on out.
  • No pain. Sneezes, though I muffle them as much as I can, hurt 3-4 on the scale of 10, and that discomfort goes away within seconds.
  • No more night-sweats. Finally!!!!
  • Incisions look pretty decent, I will post up a picture tomorrow.
  • Working full time from home (starting my 3rd work week now).
  • Physically, I am feeling around 80% as good as before the surgery. Occasional cracks and pops in my sternum (no pain) are still slightly distracting. I just need to wait the prescribed number of weeks before I can get back into gym (this is probably the toughest part). I walk/speed-walk lots, do bodyweight squats, lunges, and stairs, but still miss some heavy lifting.

Not so great things:
  • Some numbness left around the scars (clavicle scar, in particular). Not sure if there is much progress from last week, not sure how to keep track of this. But, I am sure it's getting better.
  • Range of motion in my right shoulder is still not restored, we are around 90% mobility. At this point we will get the rest of it back with rehab and mobility work. I'll start all these things in a week or two. Should be able to get all the mobility back within 1-2 month maybe sooner.
  • I get several headaches a week. Not every day, not even every other day, but still get some. The fact that the frequency reduced on it's own is very promising. I have not taken any headache medicine in 4 days now ;)
  • My body is still eating up my lean body mass. It has no idea that the more it catabolizes my muscle mass the more its going to have to work hard to get it back. Oh, silly body.

I noticed that every week I keep on celebrating victories which might even be duplicated from a week before, but to me, they are very significant. Also, other than numbness around my clavicle scar rest of the "not so great things" are pretty insignificant now.

I sincerely hope everyone is doing well and improving daily.

[*]My body is still eating up my lean body mass. It has no idea that the more it catabolizes my muscle mass the more its going to have to work hard to get it back. Oh, silly body.
[/LIST]

I have lost so much body mass. I have shirts that just droop off of those things that used to be my shoulders. I have not worked out since early January. It wasn't to bad as long as I kept up other activities but after the surgery when I did nothing but sit around it just fell off of me.

Happy to hear you are doing so well...seems like some of the remaining minor symptoms are slowly but surely taking care of themselves. Wow, 4 weeks already - how time flies when we're having fun.
Regards,
Charlie

I should have said "Infrequent night-sweats". When I wrote this post I did not remember last time I was soaking sweaty at night, and last night there definitely was more sweating than usual.

my 4 week update

my 4 week update

sleeping good,,,having some gas pains that come and go in my back, tube holes are just about closed up, still noticing pop or click when breathing in deep (RN said it is just my mechanical valve) ibuprofen for pain and I see the surgeon next week. Walking twice a day about 20 min each and hope to start cardiac rehab soon.
Good Luch Gym guy see you on the treadmill soon!

Oh, my surgery was March 28th and they replaced the aerotic with a sorin mech and upper aorta artery with artificial:biggrin2: material.

Hey Bassman, its great to hear you are doing well!!!!! I think a good night worth of sleep goes a long way. I got plenty of popping from my sternum too. Got clicking from the valve and can hear it most of the time when it is quiet in the house. I use it to count my heart-rate ;)

Wait until a month from now....I keep saying I'm 7 weeks...no 8...I think...oh I can't keep track....

Amazing as it may sound, I really am feeling pretty darn normal. My biggest complaint is that I still have some minor back problems. Guess that massage therapist of mine needs to get her butt back from her trip to Greece...ha ha.

Latest posts

Back