4.2cm Ascending Aortic Aneurysm, BAV and Burn Boot Camp??

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopefulHeart

Hi everyone......seems the latest fitness craze is Burn Boot Camp. At least in my neck of the woods here in NC. For $150+ a month, you can go to a 45 minute class M-F run by these ultra buff muscle-bound trainers that will make you do crazy exercises till you pass out in order for you to become the super model you've always dreamed of being......or at least that's the story they want you to believe so they can keep getting paid big $$$. Anyway, every female I know seems to have drank the KoolAide and raves about how wonderful Burn Boot Camp is. I asked my Cardiologist about it and he didn't really give me a "yay" or "nay" on it. I know it does involve some weight lifting and I'm sure the heart rate is pushed to the max, if they are indeed trying to make people "burn". I have a 4.2cm ascending aortic aneurysm (due to be rescanned next year to check to see if it's any larger) as well as a BAV. And I was told I can never let my heart rate get above 160 when exercising. I've been doing about 30-45 minutes of cardio in the form of brisk walking outdoors 5 days a week plus some very light weights (only 2 sets of 10....so very mild). I get fresh air while being outside and it doesn't cost me a dime. So.......should I give in to the the pressure of the Burn Boot Camp ladies and join this exercise class?? I feel like they are all getting a leg up on me with their fitness because they all brag about it so much. Honestly, I haven't noticed much of a change in some of them and the only thing that's probably lighter is their wallet. What do you all think of these "burn" exercise classes??? Should we heart patients just steer clear of them??

I think the thing about a boot camp is that there is a camaraderie to work harder than you would work alone. As with most things, if you work harder it is probably more effective, but also like most things as you work harder you are likely having diminishing returns and at some point even decreasing returns. While most runners tend to have a longer life expectancy than couch potato's, the advantage is lost by those that run the most. Here's an article that talks about this, from someone that is living with an aortic aneurysm: http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052970204047504574384973660445730

So my thought is if you work half as hard as those in the boot camp you probably get at least 3/4 of the benefit with less risk, though at 4.2 your risk is probably pretty low already. Weight lifting intensity doesn't come from the number of reps but from the weight. The most intense weight lifters tend to lift very few reps with heavy weights - that's what you don't want to do. One way to be sure your weight lifting is not too intense is to lift a weight that you could lift for 20-25 reps before failure.

Are you considering it because of peer pressure or because you expect to get results you are not getting on your own? Personally, I wouldn't risk my health to give into peer pressure but neither am I in good physical condition so it would be a bigger risk for me than for you.

Well, seems you may be playing with fire..
You have a condition, one that is known as the silent killer.Aneurysms don't announce that they are going to rupture.
Why in the world would you want to do anything that would place more than normal BP on your system?
To prove what? There are other ways to stay fit, and to be prepared and healthy for a future possible surgery to repair your aneurysm.
JMHO

Rob

Thanks so much for all your responses!! I've decided not to do the Burn Boot Camp. I do brisk walking that includes 3 steep hills for 45 minutes 5 days a week, plus some very light weight lifting. I think that's enough for me. I also have been trying to cut back on carbs. So hopefully I'll see some results. Plus I like the solitude of exercising outside in the sunshine by myself. It relaxes my mind and has a zen-like calming effect on me which is also good for blood pressure and heart health. being in a crowded exercise room at 5AM and shooting my heart rate through the roof just does not appeal to me, no matter how popular the boot camp may be. And I don't want to pay the money to join the class, only to have to moderate everything....basically paying for the class but only getting 1/2 the workout. Then I'd feel worse having to watch everyone else do twice as much as me. Nope.....this is one fad I don't think I need.

AZ Don;n860795 said:
I think the thing about a boot camp is that there is a camaraderie to work harder than you would work alone. As with most things, if you work harder it is probably more effective, but also like most things as you work harder you are likely having diminishing returns and at some point even decreasing returns. While most runners tend to have a longer life expectancy than couch potato's, the advantage is lost by those that run the most. Here's an article that talks about this, from someone that is living with an aortic aneurysm: http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052970204047504574384973660445730

So my thought is if you work half as hard as those in the boot camp you probably get at least 3/4 of the benefit with less risk, though at 4.2 your risk is probably pretty low already. Weight lifting intensity doesn't come from the number of reps but from the weight. The most intense weight lifters tend to lift very few reps with heavy weights - that's what you don't want to do. One way to be sure your weight lifting is not too intense is to lift a weight that you could lift for 20-25 reps before failure.

Great info! Thank you!!!

HopefulHeart;n860879 said:
Thanks so much for all your responses!! I've decided not to do the Burn Boot Camp. I do brisk walking that includes 3 steep hills for 45 minutes 5 days a week, plus some very light weight lifting. I think that's enough for me. I also have been trying to cut back on carbs. So hopefully I'll see some results. Plus I like the solitude of exercising outside in the sunshine by myself. It relaxes my mind and has a zen-like calming effect on me which is also good for blood pressure and heart health. being in a crowded exercise room at 5AM and shooting my heart rate through the roof just does not appeal to me, no matter how popular the boot camp may be. And I don't want to pay the money to join the class, only to have to moderate everything....basically paying for the class but only getting 1/2 the workout. Then I'd feel worse having to watch everyone else do twice as much as me. Nope.....this is one fad I don't think I need.

I think you made the right choice.
I am in hospital now for aneurysm surgery this next Monday. My aorta was stable for 4 yrs since my surgery, and them within 10 months went from 37mm to 47mm. One more jump like that and I would be at critical stage for immediate surgery, or worse, rupture. My surgeon recommended me being proactive and getting the issue fixed while I was still in good health, and also, since I am Coumadin, the surgery can be done in a controlled environment, and not in a critical or emergency situation.
So, here I sit in my hospital room on a Heparin drip until surgery on Monday.

Also, I liked AZ Don's advise of usong low weights and high reps in the 20-35 rep range. This will give you the toning results you would be happy with.

This is coming from someone when younger used to put in 60-100 mile running weeks to keep my sanity. Sometimes less is just right when you have heart disease. Now when I over do it exercising, at night when i'm laying down my heart feels like a motor that is running rough. It continually skips beats. When I just walk at a brisk pace 20 miles a week I feel excellent and sleep like a baby. :)

RobThatsMe;n860884 said:
I am in hospital now for aneurysm surgery this next Monday. My aorta was stable for 4 yrs since my surgery, and them within 10 months went from 3.7mm to 47mm. One

Geeze Rob, that's crook ... best wishes for a good result mate !!

Thanks for the good wishes pellicle.
I am ready to get on with this, and put it in the history books. Btw... Had a typo on my earlier post, my aneurysm went from 37mm to 47mm in a years time, that's a big jump after being stable for 4 yrs after my last OH surgery, so best to be proactive and get it repaired now, especially since I am on warfarin. Better to have the surgery done now in a controlled environment, than later as an emergency. I'll write after a re-gain my senses from Monday's surgery and let you know how I made out.
Rob

RobThatsMe;n860898 said:
Thanks for the good wishes pellicle.
I am ready to get on with this, and put it in the history books. Btw... Had a typo on my earlier post, my aneurysm went from 37mm to 47mm in a years time, that's a big jump after being stable for 4 yrs after my last OH surgery, so best to be proactive and get it repaired now, especially since I am on warfarin. Better to have the surgery done now in a controlled environment, than later as an emergency. I'll write after a re-gain my senses from Monday's surgery and let you know how I made out.
Rob
Rob,
Just wanted to add my very best wishes to you for a successful surgery and smooth recovery! We will look forward to an update.
Godspeed.
Apologies for highjacking Hopeful Heart's thread, but didn't notice one on Rob's upcoming surgery. Thanks for understanding, Hopefulheart. You received some great advice.

Latest posts

Back