3 weeks post-op: Lessons Learned

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

John Cochran

The human body is amazing. Three weeks ago my family and surgeon weren't sure I'd live, and today I'm doing 40 minutes of aerobic exercise (treadmill and stationary bike). I'm eating well and sleeping well finally. I thought I'd try to share some things I've learned/discovered lately in hopes that some of you recent post-op folks might benefit. So here goes:

1) Buy yourself a "body pillow"; these are like regular pillows but about 4 - 5 feet long. They allow you to support yourself in an infinite number of ways, and allow for a much more comfortable night or nap.

2) Riding in a car is a special risk. The hospital recommended a pillow on the chest under the shoulder belt. The engineer in me decided this was neither very protective or stable in an accident, so I bought a Rawlings baseball catcher's chest protector for $60.00. This is gel filled, and designed to conform to the chest and absorb the impact from an 80+ mph pitch. It is light and unobtrusive, protects the chest from the shoulder belt, and in the case of an accident, will distribute the impact of an airbag over quite a wide area. Not perfect, but far better than a pillow that could go flying.

3) Keep doing the inspirational spirometer. The deep breathing really helps keep those air sacs open, and makes exercise easier by improving your lung capacity.

4) Allow people to help you when necessary, but try to increase your independence a little each day...you'll notice the progress and feel a lot better. I think loved ones will bend over backwards for the first couple weeks. Then they just want to shoot you.

5) Watch out for depression. This isn't like "being depressed" about a situation or event, but includes diminished ability to concentrate, feelings of worthlessness, lack of interest in things you normally like, and diminished appetite and/or sleeplessness. This happens to a LOT of heart patients, and is something to discuss with your doctor.

6) Make sure your family knows what meds you are taking, the correct dosages, and the time(s) each day you are to take them. It is quite easy to forget, especially in the first couple of weeks home.

That's it for now. Y'all take care!
--John

Great advice, John!

Great advice, John!

I was just going to add that I bought myself a "SnuggleRoll" at Walmart. It's like a body pillow except that it's a cylinder shape and works very well too.

Also, it really does help if your family knows when you need meds, my 5 yr old daughter is the one who usually reminds me to take my iron pills! She knows I take them at meal times, and always says, "Mom, did you take your iron?"

And I'm sure it's been discussed here before, but for the women out there, invest in some good sports bras before your surgery, so you have them when you get home. Trust me, you won't want to wear your underwires for a while!:D

It's great that you are able to do so well with your exercise, especially after your difficult experience! I knew you'd pass me up! But that's okay, I'm doing a lot more now than I ever did before surgery! (I hope your doing your exercise in air-conditioned comfort in this heat and humidity!)

Keep up the good work, Jean

You had quite a wild ride and I'm sure, quite the humbling experience also. I'm glad to see you still come around and touch base.

Thanks for the info. I can picture you now, with the catchers vest on, riding in the car. Hey, a mans gotta do, what a mans gotta do!

Talk to you soon and continue to get better and better.
Let me know when you feel like talking and can take sitting and typing for awhile. ;)

Ross

Hi John-

You're sounding better and better each time you post, and it sounds as if your putting out one fire at a time as they develop. Pretty soon there won't be any more fires.

Take care and be well.

Actually I wore undershirts for like 6 weeks. I didn't know about the painful shoulder belt, so my mom gave me her "nap" pillow. My husband knows about my meds, my kids would just take them all themselves. They are 3&1. For the first week I tried to stay off my pain pills, but I was always in pain, and they told me to take them...your body heals better if you are more comfortable.

Latest posts

Back