3 weeks post-op already!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weekycat

Wow, it doesn't seem like it's been 3 weeks already, probably because I spent the first 8 days in the hospital.

But all in all, since I've been home things have gone quite well. Last night my husband and I even went out, I sang a karaoke song, danced a slow dance, and had my first alcoholic drink post-op. My doc never mentioned anything about drinking or not, but I figured one Bloody Mary wasn't going to hurt too much.

My surgeon told me before surgery that at 4 weeks, I would be able to drive, walk a mile, (I walked .80mi today so I'm gettin' there), and be off of pain medication pretty much. I'm just taking extra- strength Tylenol now, and can usually go most of the day without it, but at night I like to take a couple, otherwise I wake up with chest pain. Sometimes it's just hard to get comfortable in bed at night, so I'm thankful that my wonderful hubby bought me a recliner the day after I got home. (I think he figures on taking it over once I'm recovered though!)

Since I don't currently work outside the home, there's no wondering when I'll go back to work, so my next milestone will be getting to drive, I can't wait! Jean

Congratulations Jean!

It all gets better from here on out. Sometimes there's a few bumps in the road, but it sounds like you're way past the worst.

You'll be surprised some days to notice that the pain or other conditions you've become accustomed to with the surgery will just disappear.

I wouldn't give up your rights to that recliner anytime soon though, even if you no longer 'need' it! I still use my heart pillow to cushion my chest and I'm 13 months post-op!

Good luck and Godspeed with the rest of your recovery.

Steve

Hubby taking over your recliner???? :eek: There must be some way to stop him!! LOL.

Seriously, Jean, congratulations on your excellent recovery so far. Don't push yourself too hard and things will continue to go well. Take it from me, once you can drive again you will really feel like you're coming back.

Keep it up.

Driving

Driving

Hi Jean, Glad to hear how well you are doing..but, I wouldn't push that driving too fast. I am 12 weeks post-op and had my first severe sharp pain behind my shoulder blades when I went to bed last night. Wow..All from driving my large car in the past few days...I put it back into the garage today. Just turning the steering wheel, ect..Some things you can do and some you can't..If you have a small car..o.k...Bonnie

hi jean!
so glad to see you are having an uneventful recovery. please don't rush into anything. it will all come in good time.
by the way, you've got a b-day coming up (same day as my daughers, just a few yrs off). you've got so much to celebrate!!
be well, sylvia

Thanks!

Thanks!

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. And yes I do have a birthday coming up, Sylvia. As I said, the surgeon had told me at my consultation with him where I should be at 1 month post-op, so when my surgery was scheduled for 5/30, I knew I should be feeling much better by 6/30, (my birthday).

By the way, your daughter's in good company, It's also my cousin's (we were born the same day/same year/same hospital), and my sister's who was born on our 11th birthday. So I always have lots to celebrate!

Tomorrow I go to see another surgeon regarding my next surgery, yipppeee! :rolleyes: You see I still need to have a hysterectomy as soon as I'm healed enough! This doc says he for sure wants me off the Coumadin, and would like me to be off of it for 2 weeks. I need to be on it for 8 weeks, so I guess we're probably looking at Aug. or Sep. at least.

Meanwhile, I'll just try to deal with one thing at a time! :eek: Jean

Latest posts

Back