3 Months Out Now

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oilman

Just thought I would update my progress at the 3 month marker, all seems to be going well, no bad issues with the heart or trouble with the medication as of yet. I am sitting at work this snowy Sunday morning and feeling very grateful that some of my life has returned to a level that it was pre surgery. I returned to work at the rig site after 9 weeks of recovery and it was a real tough start, I am working on day 24, out of the past 27 days today. Most days have averaged about 10-11 hrs and some being about 14 hrs, that is the nature of my job, oh well. I have also overcome my fear of driving a total of 3 hrs (round trip) to work & back everyday. I will get 4 days off starting in two days, then start one more 21 day run, before break up hits up here in Alberta, thats when we cant move any heavy equipment while the frost is coming out of the roads, usually last 2 months. I am so looking forward to that time off to focus on recovery once again, as my exercise has suffered a little compared to the days leading up to, returning to work. I was 90 minutes of exersize per day, now I average about 30 min for 5 days a week. I have to admit, I had a few days at work where my stress level was at the max, but I managed to get through those days and move on to better ones. I never realized how stressful my job as a Wellsite supervisor was, until I had 30 or 40 men a day on my site, looking for direction from me, and a phone stuck to my ear at the same time. I had took for granted how fast paced the rig location can be. Truth be know, I was scared that my ability to do my job was in danger from this whole experience, I know today it was fear and a lack of confidence. Im am grateful for what was given to me so freely, a chance to extend my life, and to be with my family. As far as my meds go, nothing has changed I still take 75mg of Metropolol twice a day, a low dose asprin and I'm currently taking 58mg of Warfarin per week and running at a 3.0 INR most of the time. My body weight is 206 lbs at current and Im happy with that, as a year before surgery I had tipped the scales at 246 lbs, not good. I will attend my oldest sons high school graduation this spring, I am a proud husband & father with two sons, and feel so blessed to have loved ones that would go to the moon and back for me. I am also grateful for the support of the people here on VR.org that gave me answers to all my questions and concerns, and I know would continue to share thier experiences freely. Thanks to all.

Doug

Wow! Doug!... thanks for the update. I enjoy reading how everyone is doing post surgery and seeing their life gradually return to normal. I especially feel connected to those who have ON-X Valves. I get mine two weeks from tommorrow!:thumbup:

Sounds like you are doing great.
So happy you brought us an update. I was hoping you were transitioning back to work and that is an understatement.

Try to get some rest when you can and keep in touch with us.

Well done!!!! Stay well.

Good to hear from you Doug! Sounds like you're doing really well, despite having a very stressful job and commute.

Keep it up, you're an inspiration!

Rachel

So glad to hear you're doing well, Doug! I'm glad my return to work has been a little less intense than yours (although today was a frustrating day, but I digress...). Hopefully you will get a chance soon to take a deep breath and let your recovery catch up to you a bit. Keep us posted:)

Thanks for the comments everyone. I know I couldn't have got through this without your support. Spring is here now for me, even tho its still -15 C up here right now...brrr..the work got cut short and that's alright by me. It is time to relax and concentrate more on recovery. The upper body muscle has taken a beating and I have a date with the Cancun beaches in 6 weeks, so I better get cracking or lifting. Take care everyone, thanks.

Latest posts

Back