24 hours out

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been following this forum for a while now and I'm scheduled for surgery Oct 27. I appreciate the experiences and opinions expressed here. I know everyone reacts differently to this type of surgery, but overall this has taken a lot of fear away and I'm ready to get this behind me. I was born with a biscuspid aortic valve and have always been followed by a cardiologist. I'm usually very active and after becoming tired more easily and some dizziness this summer it was discovered the valve blame severe.
I'm having a St Jude mechincial valve replaced and am willing to manage blood thinner instead of having this once or twice more in my lifetime.
I'm satisfied with my decision after research and consultation with my surgeon. Schedule for tomorrow at Vanderbilt in Nashville with Dr Micheal Petracek. I have faith in my surgeon and team and even more faith in God above!

Best wishes to another Kentuckian and you've made a good choice since you appear to be young (35?). Warfarin is not a problem so long as you use common sense. Push your doc to allow you to self-test INR....some rural docs are a little hesitant to prescribe home testing.......but it really does work.

Thanks Dick, noticed you're a Kentucky guy and post here a lot. Thanks for you're kind words. Yes I'm 35 and am encouraged reading you're history with a mechincial valve..

Good luck! It won't be as bad as you are probably expecting. I had the St. Judes put in on 9/7. For me, getting my INR level right has been a little bit of a challenge, but that's so minor considering everything else. You will close your eyes before the surgery, then all of a sudden you are waking up and in recovery mode.. It's funny how fast that happens, after months or years for some, of sweating the details of the surgery. You are in good hands at Vanderbilt..

Welcome to the forum; glad you found it reassuring. You probably won't see this until you are on the other side but you will be in my thoughts today. Wishing you well....

Good luck today. I'm sure you'll read this soon. I had a Jt. Jude put in in 1990, and I liked it so much I got another in 2009! I've been enjoying warfarin for almost 26 years now, hopefully with another 40 plus to go.

If you're like me - you will never forget the moment you "come to" after surgery. It's an interesting experience. First time, I vividly recall my dad saying, "Yup, he's awake!" Second time, the nurse was the only one in the room. She asked how I was feeling, and in my state at that time, I managed to mumble, "Feeling pretty sexy" before I had time to think.

Thinking of you and wishing you all the best today. :)
I had my surgery 7 years ago today and am doing well. You will, too.
Look forward to your post-op post.

Back