14 weeks post valve repalcement and developed Pericarditis. Is excercise OK?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimH

Hi,

I had mitral repair and aortic replacement about 14 weeks ago via sternotomy. Two weeks ago I got Pericarditis. I am 52 and was/am otherwise healthy. I have been increasing exercise slowly since surgery (I exercised a lot beforehand as well) as part of cardiac rehab. They put me on 600mg motrin 3x/day for two weeks for the pericarditis. I am done with the motrin today and generally symptoms have been gone for most of the two weeks but I do have some pains. My cardiologist said exercise does not cause pericarditis and will not aggravate it. My primary said to take it easy for a while (maybe a little walking but no jogging or extended biking like I've been doing). I want to believe my cardiologist and keep excercising.

At this point I am jogging ~3 miles and/or biking ~ 20 miles several times a week. My post-surgery goal is a 13 mile half marathon in September and I will need to train most of the summer to be able to do this. I don't really want to let go of that goal.

Does anyone have any feedback on if pericarditis is aggravated by exercise? I don't want to make things worse and I understand I need to listen to my body. On the other hand if my cardiologist is right I should be OK continuing with my exercise. Of course I would stop and go see him if symptoms recur but right now I guess I'm concerned the small pains will get aggravated with significant exercise. I am still in cardiac rehab but they just say to follow doctors advise. I have to decide which doctor to listen to ...

Any comments/experience appreciated. By the way they found no fluid with my pericarditis and felt it was just a side effect of the surgery.

Thanks...Jim

I don't know squat about your direct question. However, I've had my GP and cardiologist disagree; and my GP defers to the cardiologist.

For example, one time my GP drove me to the emergency room because he didn't understand my EKG. It was 5:30 on 12/23 and there was nobody he could talk to at the Cardio office about my weird and alarming EKG. About 3 hours and $600 later, the cardiologist at the ER said I was ok. I just needed that valve replacement that was already planned for February.

On BP and cholesterol medication, originally perscribed by my GP, he now defers to the cardiologist.

I would believe your cardio....they are usually conservative, so if they say go for it, then go for it! A great goal to do a half by September....what race are you shooting for?

I had pericarditis almost 3 months after AVR. I ended up in the hospital with a drain and a pericardial window. I'm glad yours was diagnosed before you got to that point.

In the hospital, they told me to walk as much as I could because it would help keep the fluid from accumulating.

Latest posts

Back