13 years with my porcine valve and having troubling symptoms

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penny2003

Hello to all! I was a member 12 years or so ago when I was facing my AVR surgery. I really appreciated all the information that I was able to get from you all, am very glad the site is still up and running for all of us that look to find some answers to their questions. ​
I had the AVR surgery in March 2013 and except for a few glitches along the way (tamponade and pericardial window) have been actively living my life. During the past 5 years, my valve is getting a bit narrow, and is now at 1.2 squared (?). I am not very athletic, but I do attend Cardiac Rehab 3 times a week, The past 5 weeks I have become short of breath while exercising and increasingly sob at night. Called my cardio, got the PA response to double my Lasix for 5 days. I lost 5 pounds of water weight and felt pretty good for a week and now I am back to the shortness of breath again, but no swelling in the ankles or feet. Guess my next step is to call them back and see what happen next. My cardio doc kept saying I would be a candidate for the TAVI, but from what I"ve read I couldn't be. I have no other big issues than this.
question..... would the Lasix doubled keep fluid out of my abdomen for just a week, hence the return to the shortness of breath? Doubling the Lasix gave me muscle cramps and charley horses in my calf that wouldn't go away for days. My doctor says he has patients with no sypmtoms at .5 aortic area and no sypmtoms, so they do not do surgery until symptoms present. It would scare me to get to that number. Being short of breath is very anxiety producing, especially aat night . I'll be using 2 pillows tonight LOL.

Well it's Friday night and all of you that aren't retired are probably tired from your work week. All have a nice weekend. Looking forward to being in the community of heart valvers again!

Penny2003

Back