12 weeks now. Tired and memory loss?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aetos

Nice to have stumbled on to this forum. Very encouraging with lots of great info here
Had an open heart emerg surgery 12 weeks ago, aortic aneurysm and now with a mechanic heart valve. Recovered nicely with no complications to date. Still some pain when in sitting position. Still a huge "Thump" noise and reaction when I deep inhale.

I'm fairly active and have been walking quite a bit. I do have some moments where fatigue kicks in out of nowhere throughout the day
My memory isn't the same either, I forget many simple things (where my wallet was left, keys etc etc)
I read somewhere that cardiac surgery can have an effect with memory.
Anybody experience anything similar?

----------------------------------------------------------
Aneurysm of aortic root & ascending aorta. Bentall procedure, mechanical valve 27mm carbomedics. Replacement of aortic root + ascending aorta and aortic hemiar

Hi and welcome
aetos;n864958 said:
My memory isn't the same either, I forget many simple things (where my wallet was left, keys etc etc)
Anybody experience anything similar?

yes, I'd say its quite common. I can say for myself that I had a stretch where I thought I was better off put out to pasture. But it comes back. I did some things like forcing myself to do paper additions and stuff to bring it back. Ability to manage large complex problems (I'm a software engineer) took some to come back too ... but it does.

I think of it as "restarting the system" and it takes a while to get all the windows open again and all the connections to various databases going.

Work on it, and you'll be up to speed again in a few months (yes, it won't happen over night, but it will happen). Its like the Rachel Hunter Principle.

Appreciate the reply pellicle, thought perhaps I was losing my marbles at 42 yrs old...
What a great site this is here

I agree seems to be very common symptoms, nothing to worry about. I had and still have short term memory loss (my surrounding found that very funny), unusual anxiety, light headache, feeling like ****, but the more I get active, the more it goes away.

Yes, short term memory loss (probably made worse from medical staff negligence in a Canadian hospital that put me in end stage CHF/total organ failure 4 days before surgery). But thankfully the medical notes provide the names of all those involved, so they won't be forgotten.

aetos;n864958 said:
Hi welcome to the forum ! I didn't have any memory probllems after heart surgery but I came across this report, when I was looking for reasons for visual disturbances I experience since surgery which several others here also experienced, which mentions memory and attention problems as a some of the problems that can occur following heart surgery: 'Neurological Complications of Heart Surgery: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/08/090813142455.htm

I've had the occasional migraine aura and shooting star visual disturbances and I believe some short term memory loss. I say "I believe" because it's not that dramatic and I think it's a difficult thing to quantify and totally attribute to my surgery. If I'm working on the house and I head to the shed and I forget what I was out there for is it due to being preoccupied with the project and what I'm going to accomplish that day or to my OHS or to the fact I'm now 47 not 27?

I suppose I'm really lucky - or it may be all the fish oils - but my memory, both long and short term, is as good now at 63 as it was when I was 27 or 23 :) Everyone who knows me comments on my excellent memory, but then I've always had an excellent memory. I lost none of that with heart surgery I'm glad to say. It must be disconcerting to have memory or attention problems.

When you read about the trauma your body suffers during OHS, it's a wonder we aren't more "damaged". I don't understand the precise mechanics of it but our bodies are shut down and the heart-lung machine takes over. Blood and oxygen are circulated artificially. Then our bodies are allowed to take over those functions again. A bit of memory loss after that procedure seems logical to me. I like pellicle's analogy of the body rebooting.

I was at 6 weeks post-op and worried because I wasn't getting my energy back like I thought I should. The folks here reminded me that my body had undergone tremendous stress and to take things one day at a time. That advice helped tremendously. I relaxed and let nature take its course.

I'm glad your condition was caught in time and your emergency surgery was successful. Glad, too, that you found this site. Welcome.

Thanks honeybunny
" it's a wonder we aren't more "damaged"
Very true indeed considering what we've all went thru.
My case was sudden with no warning, I hadn't even a doctor up till that day. Was simply at work and POW, I'll never forget that pain in my life nor the look of the faces of the staff in emergency after I did he CT scan.
Lucky to be alive :)

I think "honeybunny" nailed it. FWIW, I believe that these types of issues were gone a short time after my surgery.....but heck, I just don't remember too much about that time of my life.....pun intended. If it is of a concern, I'd call my surgeon or cardio and, by all means, search memory loss posts on this site.

Last edited:
Hi
dick0236;n864979 said:
...I believe that these types of issues were gone a short time after my surgery.....but heck, I just don't remember too much about that time of my life.....pun intended.

interesting point, I wonder if its part of the bodies defence mechanisms? You know, like to ward off reactions to trauma and regressive behaviour to pain?

Hmmmm....

Paleogirl;n864971 said:
I suppose I'm really lucky - or it may be all the fish oils - but my memory, both long and short term, is as good now at 63 as it was when I was 27 or 23 :) Everyone who knows me comments on my excellent memory, but then I've always had an excellent memory. I lost none of that with heart surgery I'm glad to say. It must be disconcerting to have memory or attention problems.
I can't speak for others but I don't find it disconcerting for two reasons. First of all my memory loss hasn't been that dramatic - I can remember all my grudges and to put on my pants before I leave the house- and I assume it was a one time hit and the damage is done not like a progressive condition such as alzheimers or dementia.

pellicle;n864982 said:
Hi

interesting point, I wonder if its part of the bodies defence mechanisms? You know, like to ward off reactions to trauma and regressive behaviour to pain?

Hmmmm....
Maybe Dick doesn't remember that period much because it was the 1960's.......

cldlhd;n864984 said:
Maybe Dick doesn't remember that period much because it was the 1960's.......
tumblr_n984f39Xko1s39b3lo1_400.jpg

:)

dick0236;n864989 said:
Ya think??......
I have been warned off it in the past, and I do my best not to ... but sometimes it just happens ... like I'm on the can and its quiet and suddenly I'm thinking about INR and Vitamin K and fat soluble vitamins and ... well its all down hill

Hi l think it must be normal to feel like that ..
Funny cause today l kept think of how lm not thinking to well these days. Extremely tired no motivation days turn into nights. Memory sucks comprehension along with my brain freeze in the middle of conversations. All this at 4 the post surgery. So l think your doing amazing at 12 wks
AND if l wanna be real honest l read through this threaD. And have no idea . I am feeling pretty outta sorts these days.

Back