12 days post-op. Need headache relief NOW!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3Princesses

Hi all! Long-time lurker, first time poster.

On February 29th I had a root replacement with the Onyx valve. I came home from the hospital 4 days later. Things are going really well, I'm actually quite surprised! The only issue I'm having, is this constant headache! It starts at the base of my skull and works its way forward. I have it all the time, except when I managed to sleep. I'm really not into taking the narcotic pain medication they gave me, as I have two young children at home. I do plan on sleeping in my bed tonight, as my brother who was here to take care of me left this afternoon. I'm hoping that helps. Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions on how to get this headache to go away? Tylenol does nothing, and I am literally in tears!
Thanks!

An ice pack on your head maybe with the tylenol? If I were having your symptoms 13 days after surgery, I would have called my surgeon's office or cardiologist's office and requested a call-back from the nurse. Good luck, I know you must feel miserable.
-Meredith

Hi

Paracetamol worked for me. It is known in other countries as different names. The main caution is on using it for extended periods. If you take 2 tablets every 4 hours for a day it will be visible on your INR. I advise taking 2 just before bed and then only as needed after that. Inform your INR clinic that you are taking it and in what quantities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paracetamol

Paracetamol, also known as acetaminophen or APAP, is a medication used to treat pain and fever

Have you tried Ibuprofen ?

Have you checked to see if other meds you might be on have headache as side effect ? Or it could be transferred muscular pain from your upper back and shoulders. You should probably check with your GP ?

Tylenol, or paracetamol, or paracetamol/tylenol combined with codeine, eg co-codamol in various strengths, never works for me for any type of pain (there's a certain enzyme a person needs for those meds to work which around 10% of people lack).

Hope you feel better soon.

Put an ice pack on the back of your neck, from the base of your skull down and keep it there for ten minutes at least. I bet you'll get results from that. But it's likely that it might come back and if so just repeat. I had loads of the same pain even while still in the hospital and I requested an ice pack and it did the job. They really beat you up in surgery.

I'll echo what others have said. Talk to your doctors as soon as possible. Headaches can be a side effect from medication. If that is the problem then simply switching meds will eliminate the pain you are feeling. I get killer migraines from hydrocodone. Fortunately I figured that out years ago so it was listed as a med-allergy when I had my OHS.

fwiw i spoke to a neurologist and it's not uncommon to have headaches or migraines post OHS. i was getting migraines with aura's after the first couple months. she assured me it could very well be a temporary thing and sure enough it went away in a couple days. i haven't had any ever since (knock on wood)

I hope you've seen your GP since your first posting, or the headache has stopped. I had a never-ending headache after my OHS, that over the counter medication wouldn't help at all. I went to my GP, who called an ambulance for me right away. The hospital did a CT scan and found that my brain was bleeding. They had me on blood thinner prior to me surgery, which caused the bleed. I had to have my skull opened and my brain washed of all the blood. I hope your case doesn't turn out like mine, but I'll be sending good thoughts your way.

Thanks for the advice all! Sorry for the late reply, but my computer's not working and this site is slow to load on my phone. LOL

Turns out, I think it was sleeping and sitting in that recliner for long periods. Once I moved upstairs to my bed, the headaches went away after a day. Thank goodness!

Back