10k Today Race Report

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommy

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
This is long (as usual). Starting with human interest, followed by data, and then my "game summary".

I almost didn't do it, but glad I did. It was on my calendar, but I've only run twice since 5k two weeks ago and didn?t register in advance. No problems, just lot's of stuff going on, and some let-down after a busy tri season. I felt like I wasn't ready for a 10k, and had not previewed the course. I have a much more analytical style (obviously). Perhaps it was the St Louis Cardinals victory last night that sparked my decision to run today, but I "went for it".

The overnight temperature was a crisp 50ºF with few clouds, a slight breeze, and low humidity. It doesn?t get any better than that. Perfect!

The course is largely flat (it's Texas), starting with some down hill (yes, that means an up-hill finish). The trail meanders its way following a lake shoreline (largely obscured by woods). Little vehicle traffic control required, just shared the road with other runners and walkers. It had some up-and-back loops, so we were able to exchange greetings throughout the race.

The event was put on by a runner's club with manual timing. It was relaxed and very friendly. So relaxed, that I went back to my car to get my IPOD. I've only used it a few times in training, but thought it might be fun. I quickly loaded a play list with the most up-beat stuff in the memory.

Patriotic songs by Daniel Rodriguez (the NYC cop turned singer after 911)
Praise music from our church praise team.
Classical songs by Andrea Bocelli's Sogno (Dream) album.
High school marching band music (my son's years)
Tchaikovsky's 1812 overture complete with chorus, chimes and cannons.

For those not familiar with 1812 overture, at the end it builds to a huge climax, reprising the main themes and throwing them together with the chorus singing ?hallelujah? (I?m sure that it?s in Russian, but sounds like hallelujah). the finale includes church chimes and cannons. It?s a favorite for outdoor July 4th concerts, often with fireworks instead of cannons. It?s a favorite of mine. Well, I got lucky and thrilled with the timing. 1812 started at about the 5 mile mark and I cranked up the volume. As I was ?climbing? the last hill, the music was building. As I reached the top, the chorus broke into ?hallelujah?, and when the finish line came into sight, the cannons started blasting. What a hoot! Can?t wait to see the photos and the expression on my face.

The starting ?gun? was a guy yelling ?GO?. 8 seconds later, he figured out how to shoot the gun. I was glad that it was a small group, because the ?gun? time is the only start time marker. The time it takes to get to the start line is lost.

Some participants were training up for upcoming half marathons and marathons. Many were from the host runners club. One gal rode her bicycle from home. That?s dedication to exercise! Peter is recovering from Plantar Faciitis surgery. He passed me at mile 1, but I kept him in sight the rest of the race. I met Tim after the race. He had passed me at about mile 5. He (and 1812) sparked me to push a little harder. After wards, I thanked him for the boost. He told me about his diabetes and his dedication to not let it hold him back. Diabetic runners tread a thin line in managing their glucose levels while burning calories at a high rate. He?s training for a half marathon next month. I didn?t get a chance to tell him my valve ?story?, but congratulated and encouraged him.

My race strategy was to again pace by heart rate. I set my range at 145 to 155 BPM 70%-80%, wanting to stay in the upper end if possible. Then I switched on the tunes.

Here?s the data.
Resting HR at wake-up 60 BPM.
Rate at race time 85 BPM (soothing music brought it down from 100).
Theoretical max 174 BPM (Karvonen method)
Race time 8:45 am.

Mile 1 9:23 152 BPM ave 82%
Mile 2 9:38 153 BPM ave 83%
Mile 3 9:25 156 BPM ave 85%
Mile 4 9:37 159 BPM ave 88%
Mile 5 9:47 161 BPM ave 90%
Mile 6 9:24 164 BPM ave 92%
Last 0.2 9:17 pace 172 BPM ave 98%
Total time 59:05 9:31 pace

Peak heart rate 178 BPM 102%! That?s my fastest that I?ve recorded, 4 beats higher that the theoretical. I?ll use 178 from now on as my max HR.

It was not my fastest 10k, but within 1/2 minute. Although, I didn?t have consistent negative splits (incrementally faster paces), I did have incrementally higher heart rates, rising above the target rate for the last half of the race. I spent 38 minutes above range. It confirms my suspicion that I can push harder in races.

Need to load up my IPOD with some more tunes. How about "Bohemian Rhapsody"? "We are the Champions"? Any suggestions?

Great job Tommy. I'm always glad to hear stories like yours. I'm three weeks out and another three until I get to start running. I'm planning on walking a
5K Turkey trot 11/18. I'm really anxious to get out there again.
Those are some pretty good heart rates and the % of MAX shows the real effort you put into it. OH! to be young again like you. :D

I have a variety of stuff on my IPOD. For the first time in 27+ years of running I decided to listen to music while walking. I might continue once I start running, but never in a race! I have some Sara Brightman, some great 80's (real variety), Chris LeDoux, Disco. Not much into some of the classical but have some Chopin that I want to load.

Congratulations on the job again. What's up next for you?

Good job Tommy! It sounds like you had lots of fun in addition to running well. Keep the race reports coming, they are inspirational.
Next Sunday, weather permitting I will run my 1st race (5k) since AVR 6 months ago. I will be pleased if I can hold your 10k pace for 5k.
Philip

Running songs

Running songs

Great times, Tommy! My suggestions for your ipod..."Running on Empty"- Jackson Bowne; "YMCA" - Village People....I still do the arm gestures when I run listening to that! Must be quite the sight! :)

Kodi/Philip, best wishes for your upcoming races. We want full reports - don't hold back like I do :rolleyes:

Tprice, send photos! :)

BTW, my definition of "old" is 10 years older than me. :D

Way to Go Tommy

Way to Go Tommy

Tommy: Excellent report and excellent result. Congrats. Mark

Latest posts

Back