1000mg Cod Liver Oil Capsules

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike1959

I have had AVR with tissue valve, quick question, would taking this supplement benefit or adversely effect the valve

​Has anybody else taken cod liver oil or been advised to.

I'm prescribed Omacor, which is omega-3 fish oil, not quite the same as Cod Liver Oil, I know, but not tons different. I'm prescribed Omacor as an antiinflammatory. When I was admitted for AVR surgery (tissue) I handed my Omacor to the nursing staff. They duly gave me my regular dose every day post surgery, and I have continued with that regular dose, now just over two and a half years post surgery.

I'm prescribed Omacor, which is omega-3 fish oil, not quite the same as Cod Liver Oil, I know, but not tons different. I'm prescribed Omacor as an antiinflammatory. When I was admitted for AVR surgery (tissue) I handed my Omacor to the nursing staff. They duly gave me my regular dose every day post surgery, and I have continued with that regular dose, now just over two and a half years post surgery.
Hi Just checking in to see how you are doing with the AVR 10 years post surgery, i too have a mismatch apparently

would be good to hear how you are doing

Best
Mike

Hi Mike - I'm doing okay thanks ! It will be ten years at the beginning of January and the valve is still going strong. I'll have my annual echo in February or March. The pressure gradients are high but it doesn't seem to affect the valve or my heart, they just indicate moderate patient prosthesis mismatch.

How are you doing ?

I have had AVR with tissue valve, quick question, would taking this supplement benefit or adversely effect the valve

Has anybody else taken cod liver oil or been advised to.
It would not expect cod liver oil to have any effect on your bioprosthetic valve, at least I am not aware of any evidence of this. Cod liver oil is high in Omega 3, which might help inflammation. So, there is at least a theoretical that it might do some good, but probably not really any difference, pro or con, for your bioprosthetic valve.
Although it might not do your biovalve any good, omega 3 is considered very heart healthy, so you could benefit in other ways.

Hi Mike - I'm doing okay thanks ! It will be ten years at the beginning of January and the valve is still going strong. I'll have my annual echo in February or March. The pressure gradients are high but it doesn't seem to affect the valve or my heart, they just indicate moderate patient prosthesis mismatch.

How are you doing ?
Hi,

Yeah still doing ok thanks - the gradients are high, but like you the valve is still functioning well - next echo Jan 2024
It will be 12 years in April -

Valve is slightly stenosed - but the leaflets and valve is still working well.

In the meantime have a great Christmas!

I will let you know how i get on in January :)

Hi,

Yeah still doing ok thanks - the gradients are high, but like you the valve is still functioning well - next echo Jan 2024
It will be 12 years in April -

Valve is slightly stenosed - but the leaflets and valve is still working well.

In the meantime have a great Christmas!

I will let you know how i get on in January :)
You have a great Christmas too !

Back