100 Marathons (Training miles)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Wagner

Hi 'My Friends'

(I know this should be in Active Lifestyles, but I put this in Post Surgery to offer hope, that things do get better. Just trust in God and don't quit.)

Sometimes I feel stupid; maybe not very humble, when I share my success with you. Some of you struggle so hard. I remember that first year, and the difficulty I had. Then there is few others whom just breeze through surgery and are back on their feet going strong in a month! I am happy for them, but wonder in the back of my mind why my recovery did not go along at a faster clip. We are all different physically and mentally, and that is what is so wonderful. (I mean come on now, can you imagine 800 of us whom all worry about each other like Ross! :D Just kidding Ross, you make this site happen.) One thing is certain, in my case, after the first year post surgery the race to recovery was on!

A marathon is 26.2 miles. I have run three full marathons presently with times of 4:55, 4:47 and now 4:29. I guess that is not too shabby for an old man, whom has had his heart taken out of his chest and stopped for just under 3 hours. I have now run 2,638 miles and have reached a mile stone of 100 marathons (training miles and competitive miles inclusive) and have presently run the distance of the United States from San Diego to New York City, and currently am on my way back. (Okay, I am patting myself on my back a little. I apologize.)

My point ... where all different, and not everyone can or will want to run a marathon; but if you set a realistic challange before you, trust in God, and don't quit; your whole out look on life can change for the better spiritually, physically, and mentally. We have all been given a second chance, (some third and fourth ...) What you do with that chance is your choice.

God bless all of you as you move forward into this next phase.

During my second marathon, World Vision sponsored me to help raise money for widows and orphans in Zambia, Africa. My run 'Second Chance. A Run for Hope' was used as a model to raise money for children around the world. As of recent, I was sent a link, and out of that model it has now grown into a program where athletes and runners, walkers etc. can raise money for widows and orphans. My testamony, and the link to the site is below. You may pick any event in your area, and walk or run for a purpose. Enjoy the site.

Remember, "Quitting is not an option."

Blessings to all ... Mark

https://www.worldvision.org/worldvision/guest.nsf/phim_home?OpenForm&cmp=ILC-PHIM

My testomony ....

http://www.worldvision.org/worldvision/comms.nsf/stable/phim_testimonials2

Mark-

Old? You must have been referring to Tom and I ;) - you're not old yet!

Seriously, Mark, you have been an inspiration to all of us who are treating valve replacement as an opportunity not just to keep on living, but to live a better life than we did "before." Your dedication to running is very impressive, as is the number of miles you have racked up.

I'll be checking out the links you provided. I wonder if I can row for charity instead of run? :rolleyes: If not, I'll be joining the TKR.com web site soon :eek:

You certainly can Bill. Just go to the site. Any questions feel free to ask me. If I do not know the answer, I'll certainly get you in touch with the people who do. No cost, just 'elbow grease' on your part!

Mark

Mark, that is incredible. For those of us waiting for our future surgery, you are a great inspiration to our quality of life questions having a new valve. I used to run long distance in high school and a little in college and run occaissionly to stay in shape these days. I try to do low impact for most of my workouts to save my knees from many years of skiing and running.

One of the things I worry about in my future post surgery is twisting an ankle while running. I have a weak right ankle as a result from a torn ligament during my college days of running. Sometimes I twist it and and get a slight swelling but nothing serious. If I were to go mechanical and take Warfin, should this be something I should worry about? Have you experienced a twisted ankle or any bruising injuries that was further complicated by Warfin?

Keep up the inspirational posts. I don't know what mechanical valve you have, but I think you could be a marketing spokesperson for the company!

Jim

Mark,
That is great.
Hopefully stories like yours will give hope for a 'new life' for those facing surgery.
Not everyone has been as fortunate as Mark or myself, but the odds are with you so keep the faith.
Mark the only downside for me is now I'm too old and with a bum knee to do any running.
When I was young I could run very fast but not very far, now I know why.
Now my valve would let me run far and fast but I'm just too damn old. :(
Oh well I guess what counts is I'm still on this side of the grass. :D

Thanks for the kind comments Jim and Rich.

Jim in regard to injury and coumadin .... during my training for marathon #2 I tore my hamstring in my left thigh. There was quite a bit of bleeding initially; and that can be expected somewhat with the Warfin. As long as your within range, the excess bleeding will quit; just a slower clotting time. What I found was heavy bruising in the area of the injury. In a week, my feet and ankles were showing bruising, but after seeing my doctor, I was told that was just gravity naturally pulling the old blood down from the area of injury. Pressure against the areas where the blood pooled was sore ... for instance pressure from my shoes. It just has to disipate on it's own, and that can take up to a month or two. It took me a couple of the months, but only the hamstring injury itself set me back.

Rich, when I look back, I now see why I was so quickly fatigued in my high school years during sports activities. Now that the heart has a 'bandaid' later in life, your right, it is a pain in the butt to get old! :rolleyes: I adopted Les Barretts Dad's moto .... "I would rather wear out then rust out!" Trouble is the wearing out bit seems to be happening as fast as I am loosing my hair!! :D That's okay ... where still smiling. :)

Mark, thanks for sharing the experiences you had w/ your sports injuries. If you get prolonged bruising in your ankles and feet, try soaking them in a tub of hot water for a couple of minutes and then putting them in a bucket of ice water. When I tore my ligament, the trainers recommended this and it helped to clear up the bruised area quite nicely.

On another note, given that I probably had this faulty valve in my high school and college years, I cannot believe I ran as well as I did.

Thanks,
Jim

On another note, given that I probably had this faulty valve in my high school and college years,

Perhaps this is why I liked baseball in my youth - only had to run 90 feet at a time. Still was slow and never had any interest in running like I do in my "second youth". Osgood Slatter didn't help either. Now that I have no excuses, it's time to see what these legs can do. So far, so good.

Mark, thanks again for your off-line counsel in the hamstrings.

I'm lamenting the upcoming loss of our website with the running log and Run Across America maps. Bummer!

Jim
Thanks for the ice and hot water routine. If it happens again, (which I am sure will at some point) I'll give it a shot. I have heard that after a long run, laying in a bath of ice water for as long as possible will help avoid the sore muscles somewhat. I don't think I have the courage on this end! Burr!!! :eek:

Tom
I'm bummed about it too. October 18th it shuts down. I have to make copies of my logs from the last half year. :(

Latest posts

Back