100 Marathons (Training miles)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Wagner

Hi 'My Friends'

(I know this should be in Active Lifestyles, but I put this in Post Surgery to offer hope, that things do get better. Just trust in God and don't quit.)

Sometimes I feel stupid; maybe not very humble, when I share my success with you. Some of you struggle so hard. I remember that first year, and the difficulty I had. Then there is few others whom just breeze through surgery and are back on their feet going strong in a month! I am happy for them, but wonder in the back of my mind why my recovery did not go along at a faster clip. We are all different physically and mentally, and that is what is so wonderful. (I mean come on now, can you imagine 800 of us whom all worry about each other like Ross! :D Just kidding Ross, you make this site happen.) One thing is certain, in my case, after the first year post surgery the race to recovery was on!

A marathon is 26.2 miles. I have run three full marathons presently with times of 4:55, 4:47 and now 4:29. I guess that is not too shabby for an old man, whom has had his heart taken out of his chest and stopped for just under 3 hours. I have now run 2,638 miles and have reached a mile stone of 100 marathons (training miles and competitive miles inclusive) and have presently run the distance of the United States from San Diego to New York City, and currently am on my way back. (Okay, I am patting myself on my back a little. I apologize.)

My point ... where all different, and not everyone can or will want to run a marathon; but if you set a realistic challange before you, trust in God, and don't quit; your whole out look on life can change for the better spiritually, physically, and mentally. We have all been given a second chance, (some third and fourth ...) What you do with that chance is your choice.

God bless all of you as you move forward into this next phase.

During my second marathon, World Vision sponsored me to help raise money for widows and orphans in Zambia, Africa. My run 'Second Chance. A Run for Hope' was used as a model to raise money for children around the world. As of recent, I was sent a link, and out of that model it has now grown into a program where athletes and runners, walkers etc. can raise money for widows and orphans. My testamony, and the link to the site is below. You may pick any event in your area, and walk or run for a purpose. Enjoy the site.

Remember, "Quitting is not an option."

Blessings to all ... Mark

https://www.worldvision.org/worldvision/guest.nsf/phim_home?OpenForm&cmp=ILC-PHIM

My testomony ....

http://www.worldvision.org/worldvision/comms.nsf/stable/phim_testimonials2

Good on ya!

Good on ya!

Hi Mark

It'a been a little while since I jumped on the site, so it was good to read of your continued progress.

I just celebrated six months post-op from Ross procedure and have been back jogging for about eight weeks now. Just the other day I managed to 'run' for the first time without having to stop with my heart rate getting to high or leg-fatigue. I tell you, it's a far cry from the days I used to average 20 kms a day! But guess what - it felt fantastic to be able to run again and to feel better than I did even eighteen months ago when I was struggling pre-surgery.

Tomorrow morning i meet with one of my Church Elders who is 65 and who started running again last year after recovering from cancer. He's an inspiration - and still has to wait for me on the steeper hills!

I'm gradually building back up the miles, trying to run 3-4 times aweek and walking/cycling/swimming also. I managed to slowly jog 12 kms last saturday with only a couple of breathers which was fantastic. I really feel that God has given me a second chance and to even be able to run again is a real blessing.

Thanks again for the inspiration - keep it up.

Kind regards

Grant

Hey Mark,

I posted a congratulatory reply here the other day, as I was so impressed with the accomplishment- and it has somehow disappeared. Ross???? (Ross didn't touch anything nor move this thread!)

Anyway, just wanted you to know what an inspiration you are to all of us valvers. Keep up the good work.

Hi Grant,
Thanks for the encouragement. Congratulations on your recovery and jogging routine. 65, running and recovering from cancer .... that is amazing! Please pass on to him my congratulations, and I will pray he stay cancer free.

I'll send you a PM later Grant.

Take care 'brother' ... Mark

Bill, your post is on the same thread in Post Surgery. Thanks again. (But we do have to keep an eye on that Ross guy! ;) But Ross didn't do anything! :(

Back