10 days post op...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

socalhome

Hi everyone. My husband made it home 6 days after surgery, some hiccups in surgery, but all well now. It is amazing to have him home. Now trying to avoid the many viral "bugs" one can get from kids in school. Only post op question so far.. elevated heart rate post op. How long did it last? Were you prescribed any meds? How long til your rate resumed to normal?

Mine was high after surgery. Was prescribed Metoprolol (Lopressor). Took it once a day for about a month.

10 days post op...

Mine was high too, came down after 4-5 weeks and metoprolol. Now 5 months post op and its around 70, I was 58 bpm pre op.
Eat, sleep, walk and he'll progress nicely.

After surgery I was in the mid 80-90 range while on Toprol XL (25mg/day) and came off it after a month. Due to BP issues I went back on it and added Norvasc (5mg/day) about 3 weeks later. I was in cardio rehab during this time and the Toprol had little impact on my top rate, probably due to the low dose. After another month I was tapered off both meds and both heart rate and BP were stable at near pre-op levels. Currently on no meds other than 81mg aspirin and multivitamin.

Mine was high as well - I think 80-90 range and lasted for a while (maybe 3-4 months for me) but I wasn't on anything to bring it down (due to my very very low BP). I'm told it's normal to have a high pulse rate after surgery.

Latest posts

Back