1 year post-op-keloids?Debbie

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wayne, that is funny-- I have seen your pic's and you do look like you've been in a knife fight!! Don't want to see what the other guy looks like :D:D

Jeff, would you consider posting a pic for us to see??
I think it always is helpful to others to see what other people's scars look like so they don't feel "different".

Thanks everyone Debbie :)

Debbie, my scar is the opposite to yours. The top of the scar is the worst part, but the middle and the bottom look better. In addition, I have nerve pain located at the top left hand side of the scar close to my breast. After 2.5 yrs, and it still hurts sometime. I am a regular swimmer and have given the scar daily massages with natural oil and cream products. I've even stuck it in the hot jets in the spa, and it still gives me problems. Do you do anything to care for the scar?

Lilly

Hypertrophic scars (keloids are when the scar enlarges beyond the original width) are best treated by a dermatologist with 20 mg/cc Kenalog/triamcinolone. At least the first time, it is best to freeze it first with liquid nitrogen which softens up the scar allowing more to be injected. Several monthly visits can totally flatten but not narrow the scar. It may come back. Yes it hurts briefly. Better than lasers and silicon. I wouldn't let anybody use x-ray due to the chance of cancer 20 years later. I don't just play one on TV--wink. Hope to meet some of you in New Orleans.

Fun is just beginning for me

Fun is just beginning for me

I had my 5 bypass 5 yrs ago. I'm not skinny so I've had a lot off pulling so my keloids have been a problem for me. Now soon after Thanksgiving, I'll be going back into Memorial Mission Heart Tower for A-Valve replacement. My scar has stretched over an inch wide. When I get opened I guess all that will have to come out for a fresh knitting. If anyone has been opened more than once drop me a line to let me know if all my knee knocking and nail biting is worth it. Rick in WNC:cool:

I had my 5 bypass 5 yrs ago. I'm not skinny so I've had a lot off pulling so my keloids have been a problem for me. Now soon after Thanksgiving, I'll be going back into Memorial Mission Heart Tower for A-Valve replacement. My scar has stretched over an inch wide. When I get opened I guess all that will have to come out for a fresh knitting. If anyone has been opened more than once drop me a line to let me know if all my knee knocking and nail biting is worth it. Rick in WNC:cool:

I had a keloid with my first surgery and was concerned about having a new one with my second surgery 27 years later. Instead, I got a very nice scar the second time around, no keloiding at all.

As for your knee knocking and nail biting, you've been through it before, you know what to expect. In my opinion, the waiting before surgery is the worst part.

Kim

Just would like to welcome you to the website. You'll find caring folks here who will help you make it through your coming aortic valve replacement. When is your surgery scheduled?

Great tips, folks. Thanks for sharing the pictures. the scar definitely matters a little more to us ladies, I think. I'm allergic to the adhesives they use now to close incisions, so I'm worrid about a bigger scar from stitches/alternate methods. Looking a surgery sometime next year (should know in Jan.)
I also want to know if being on coumadin prevents any in office cosmetic/dermatological procedures (laser hair removal, skin resurfacing, spider vein treatment, etc).

Great tips, folks. Thanks for sharing the pictures. the scar definitely matters a little more to us ladies, I think. I'm allergic to the adhesives they use now to close incisions, so I'm worrid about a bigger scar from stitches/alternate methods. Looking a surgery sometime next year (should know in Jan.)
I also want to know if being on coumadin prevents any in office cosmetic/dermatological procedures (laser hair removal, skin resurfacing, spider vein treatment, etc).

Are you saying that you allergic to stuff like krazy glue?

You might want to post your question about cosmetic/dermatological procedures in the Anticoagulation forum for better response. I did a quick search on Google: try warfarin and spider vein, etc. Looks like it should ok on warfarin.

Yes- allergic to sticky stuff with methylmethacrylates.
Glue, acrylic nails, hairspray, gel, spray on sunscreen, lots of lotions. Good suggestion.

You may not have to be worried about being "glued". I was told specifically that I was sewed up from the inside out and that some people would try and tell me that I was "glued" shut, but that was not the case at all. Hopefully, your Dr's can do the same.

Debbie,

I had OHS on 31 March 2008 and again 9 November 2009 and the Surgeon got rid of all the old keloids and now my scar looks so much better!

I am sure the Surgeon can do the same for you! Do you have a surgery date yet? The waiting for surgery is the worst, but also the 2nd time around you sort-of know what to expect and that is a bit frightning, but then you can plan better and now what you are going to need for your recovery!

All the best and welcome to the forum.

Debbie,

I had OHS on 31 March 2008 and again 9 November 2009 and the Surgeon got rid of all the old keloids and now my scar looks so much better!

I am sure the Surgeon can do the same for you! Do you have a surgery date yet? The waiting for surgery is the worst, but also the 2nd time around you sort-of know what to expect and that is a bit frightning, but then you can plan better and now what you are going to need for your recovery!

All the best and welcome to the forum.

I hope it doesn't happen tto you, but when Justin had his surgery in 05 they also did a "scar revision" (it was his 4th OHS) at the same time and cut out all the old keloidy parts, it looked great for a few months, but by about a year, he had sections that had keloided again. Then THEY were all cut out in 2007 and he even had a plastic surgeon close his sternal incision, took a longer time, very precise ect. It was beautiful. and once again with in a year, sections of it were stuck out red ect. I think some people just tend to build more keloid than others.

Latest posts

Back