1 week of rehab down..

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hot Rod Harry

Last week was my first week of rehab. I'm 6 weeks post op,, for MVR at CC. It went pretty well. They said they don't see many young people in there, and they didn't take it too easy on me.. I have to do a combined 40 min of continuous activity.

I was concerned when my heart rate was up to 150 the first day (previous high was 135 post op), but they said that was normal. So the 2nd visit, I took it up to 163.. No issues.

Today I noticed that it was hard to get my heart rate up to 150, doing activity that last week easily shot it up to 150. They told me I was adapting, and doing great. For some reason, I don't feel I've reached my goal unless I am in the 150 range. Mental note to self: it's not a competition, baby steps.

I started lifting weights, and got that great pump that gives you the lifters high. After stretching, I'm doing dumbell curls, dumbell hammer curls, tricep extentions, and shoulder presses. I kept it light, at around 25 lbs, and kept the reps high, for about 3 sets. Boy, I'm paying for it now, with the pain in my arms, but I like it. Feels like I did a good workout, but not overboard. I'll go back after it when the pain is gone or almost gone.

I'm adding abdominal work this week, crunches, reverse crunches, etc. I'm thinking that Yoga would be great for me, so I'll look into that. I love to stretch, and find myself doing it through the day, to stay loose.

Two issues: You would have thought I would have lost some weight, with all this activity, but I have gained 3 lbs in one week!! I'm not holding water, but my legs feel totally pumped, like after doing squats (without the back pain, lol), and I still have a pump in my arms. Maybe I'm gaining muscle? I've been very hungry, and I noticed that I've become irritable, at the simplest things.

Forgot to mention, I was able to grab 2 minutes of running while on the treadmill!! I haven't ran in YEARS. My 6 year old son will be surprised when I am able to chase him around, and catch him..

I think I will increase that running, slowly.. Not looking to run a marathon, but want to know my limit..

Great progress

Great progress

Wow... 25 pounds of weights sounds like great progress... but didn't you have surgery just about 6 weeks ago? If so, I'm surprised that they are letting you lift that kind of weight before the sternum is totally healed. What did they tell you about this in rehab?

Thanks,
Red

Wow... 25 pounds of weights sounds like great progress... but didn't you have surgery just about 6 weeks ago? If so, I'm surprised that they are letting you lift that kind of weight before the sternum is totally healed. What did they tell you about this in rehab?

Thanks,
Red

I'm not lifting the weights at rehab, I have a set of dumbells at home, that go up to 50 lbs. I told them that I wanted to lift, and they told me to keep it light. 25 lbs is light for me. They did say no side raises, or movements that take my arms out to the side, which would put direct pressure on my sternum.

Yes, I had surgery 6 weeks ago. My sternum feels very solid, and I don't intend to push the weights beyond the amount that I'm using now, for about another month.

My first OHS for MVR, my sternum was loose for over a month.. This time I went to CC, and I don't know what procedure they are using, but they have it sewed up tight since the day I came out of surgery.

Hi Hot Rod,

This is inspiring to me, I go in Monday for my surgery. I'm 30 and want to get back into lifting/running quickly, so please keep me informed of your progress!

I've updated in other threads, but I am finishing my 3rd week of rehab with walking, running, and weightlifting.
If you have researched the weightlifting, you will see that it's not about the amount of weight that you lift, but rather the higher reps. I tend to like to compete, so it's a constant reminder to myself to keep things within reason.
My first MVR, I didn't feel like doing anything, and this time I feel like doing everything.
I'm in week 3 of rehab, walking at least 4 mph for a solid 60 min, at a incline of 2. I have been finishing off the walk with a nice burst of running. So far I am up to 2.5 min of running, and today I plan to try 5 min.
I am not a runner, I have always been a weightlifter, who walked fast. I did run cross country in school. It might be easier for you to bounce back to running, if you have that experience. I'm taking that part slow, and is more for entertainment, and knowing how far I can push it. I'd like to be able to run 3 miles again someday, but I'm in no hurry to get there.
I'm going to start bench pressing, and squating, as soon as the Dr gives me the green light. I believe in progressive training, so it will be a slow progressive climb. Good luck to you, and I hope things turn out well for you.

Back