Drinking while taking Warfarin(Coumadin)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Confused

Confused

I guess I?m a little confused about the whole bleeding thing an alcohol. The previous threads seem to imply there?s a ?higher? risk if you consume alcohol while taking anticoagulants. However, my cardiologist & surgeon both indicated that Coumadin doesn?t make you bleed, but only makes bleeding worse once it occurs. My point is, if you don?t have a bleeding problem, are you really worse off? It seems once a bleed starts, with or without Coumadin, you?re in trouble . . .

Final thought ? There are lots of people who can?t eat ?hot & spicy? food due to stomach irritation, ulcers, etc. Why isn?t this addressed while taking Coumadin?

Wow, this is my third post of the day (on separate subjects). I?m on a roll!

Buzz Lanning said:
...my cardiologist & surgeon both indicated that Coumadin doesn?t make you bleed, but only makes bleeding worse once it occurs. My point is, if you don?t have a bleeding problem, are you really worse off? ...

My take is that, as you were told, Coumadin doesn't cause bleeding - it exacerbates it. But that with Coumadin on board, bleeding that normally would be no problem at all can be a problem. And I guess there's some degree of bleeding that goes on all the time in our bodies but that normally is immediately resolved - for example, one time when my INR went through the roof there was blood in my urine. I guess if you were into sick practical jokes as a form of suicide you could take a massive OD of Coumadin and go to the ER saying that you'd been exposed to Ebola.

Quick Update

Quick Update

Barry said:
Moo, we all appreciate the selfless sacrifice you're making for science.

I do find your results pretty interesting, given that you're apparantly not drinking every day (in which case your Coumadin dosage could become adjusted over time to compensate for any interaction).

Today I went to my cardiologist for my 4 week blood check and tested my machine (INRatio) with theirs (Coagucheck). Theirs was 2.5 mine was 2.4, not bad. My cardiologist also lowered my Range from 2.5-3.5 to 2.0-3.0. So for the alcohol test, after 6 days it is 2.5.

4/14/05 - 6 Beers (1-1/2 Pitchers)

4/18/05 - INR = 2.7

4/20/05 - INR = 2.5

Rich

I think the thing we need to think about here (as told by my doctor) is that the main concern with drinking alcohol (to excess or not) and bleeding is that they do not want us to drink to a point that we may fall (or worse), bump our head, and bleed. It's not that drinking will cause bleeding, but by drinking, we may hurt ourselves and that may cause bleeding that may be hard to control.

I don't know why hot,spicy foods seem to make no difference. We live in a place that grows a lot of green chilis. They are roasted everywhere including Wal Mart in late summer. You can hardly get a bowl of oatmeal without green chili mixed in. The favorite local burger is the slopper - a cheeseburger served open face smothered in green chili.

perrybucsdad said:
...It's not that drinking will cause bleeding, but by drinking, we may hurt ourselves and that may cause bleeding that may be hard to control.

On more than one occasion I've explained to friends trying to ply me with drinks that I'll be the life of the party when I fall down and bleed out in front of everyone.

Coumadin & Spicy Food

Coumadin & Spicy Food

Al,

Thanks anyway. Regardless, I?m not convinced that Mexican peppers (e.g. Habanero, Jamaican Hot, Jalapeno, etc.) are less harmful than alcohol on your stomach lining. Just eat a few raw, which many people do in the American southwest, to get my point.

In summary, there are lots of people who CAN?T eat hot peppers due to the irritation this type of food causes to their stomach linings. However, you?ll be hard pressed to find a physician (of any kind) instruct a Coumadin patient ?not to eat these things?. I?m still very confused . . .

I've seen lots of alcohol-realted GI bleeds (with or without warfarin) but I've never seen a hospital chart that listed the cause of a GI bleed as chili-induced.

Pueblo is less than 100 miles from Highlands Ranch but it is far removed culturally. The Arkansas River that flows through Pueblo was once the border between the Spanish Territories and The US Territories. I cross the river every day on the way to work and there is still a big divide between the opposite banks.

Has anyone else noticed that this thread has 5 times as many views and the one in second place.

allodwick said:
Has anyone else noticed that this thread has 5 times as many views and the one in second place.
Just goes to prove that Sex and Alcohol is what VR is made up of. :D

perrybucsdad said:
How do we go from Chili to sex?? :D

easy - we do it all the time. And if this thread becomes another sex thread, we will call this one sex and booze instead of just sex. uh, I mean drinking. uh, what was that again!

Mary said:
Obviously you're a new member! A few more weeks, and you'll wonder why you asked. :)

I guess you can say I'm a "virgin" to chili sex. That's gotta smart! :eek:

perrybucsdad said:
I guess you can say I'm a "virgin" to chili sex. That's gotta smart! :eek:

Did you say, "Chilly sex?"
According to alot of guys around here, that's all they know! ;) ;) ;)

Mary said:
Did you say, "Chilly sex?"
According to alot of guys around here, that's all they know! ;) ;) ;)

Well, I wouldn't know anything about "Chilly sex" since I have a warm blooded Italian girl for my wife. :)

perrybucsdad said:
Well, I wouldn't know anything about "Chilly sex" since I have a warm blooded Italian girl for my wife. :)

It's about time for Ross to make an appearance! (Be careful!) :D :D

Mary

Mary

What are you doing home in the middle of a school Day? :D Who's teaching the kids? :p Perhaps, a Nooner? :p :p Watch out, Ross is going to ban us, again. :D :D :D :D Bonnie

Latest posts

Back