Drinking while taking Warfarin(Coumadin)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attorney

attorney

allodwick said:
Every once in awhile people get a little too strong here. I guess it is because the topics are so near to our hearts.

I am reminded of the attorney who asked a question and when the witness answered, the attorney objected to the answer. The judge had to remind the attorney that you can't object to the answer to a question that you asked.
was that from the movie "The Verdict"

I don't know if it was in that movie or not.

One of my patients told me that it happened to an attorney who was opposing him in a product liability trial.

I think it was the same attorney who asked the judge, "I my last case, when the law was on my side, you said that it was more important to have justice than to follow the letter of the law and now when justice is on my side, you say that we need to follow the letter of the law?"

Ah, come on Rob, :)

That?s what makes this place different... it has a warm, caring quality to it. I understand what you?re saying... but what keeps the traffic coming back over and over? I think it would take on a different atmosphere if it was ruled with an iron fist.

Now get your butt to Vegas...... There?s a heck of a pool party in the making! :eek: Promises of ?swimming in margaritas?!! :D Woooo hooooooo!! Where?s Gina, Sherry & Lorraine? :D Marsha and Pam have found the slide!! :p Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..............!! :p :D

While it's true that many threads in small talk (and elsewhere sometimes) are off the valve replacement subject, life in general is off the valve replacement subject. As others have said, I think it is important to let new people know there is a life before, after, and in addition to OHS.

Threads like these do address some issues that we face. Yes, they might get off track a little (even a lot) but that only indicates the members are humans. We have a sense of humor, we know when to cry, and we know when to offer serious and important assistance.

How boring would this sight be if it only contained cold, medical terms without any mention or implication that life does go on.

The only time I have problems is when people start the name calling or forget about respecting others. Certainly this thread has had some interesting comments but, all in all, is fun, informative, and very indicative of our everyday lives (IMHO).

Beer Consumption In Men

Yesterday scientists suggested that, considering
the results of a recent analysis that revealed the
presence of female hormones in beer, men should
take a concerned look at their beer consumption.

The theory is that beer contains female hormones
(hops contain phytoeostrogens) and drinking it makes
men turn into women. To test the theory, 50 men were
fed 6 pints of beer each within a one hour period. It was
then observed that 100% of the men:

talked excessively without making sense;
became overly emotional;
couldn't drive;
failed to think rationally;
argued over nothing;
had to sit down while urinating;
and refused to apologize when obviously wrong.

No further testing was considered necessary

Rain, start salting the edge of that pool!

Rain, start salting the edge of that pool!

Rain said:
Promises of ?swimming in margaritas?!! :D Woooo hooooooo!! Where?s Gina, Sherry & Lorraine?

Goodness gracious, swimming in margaritas??? How can anyone turn that down :D :D :D I'll be there, sister!!!

Rob, I understand what you're saying, but I agree with the others, and especially after meeting many of them last October. We have a big family on this site, and we know when it's time to be serious and when it's time to cut up. Alcohol issues have been discussed many, many times, and frankly, it's such an variable thing: How much one drinks in one sitting, what he/she is drinking, binge drinking vs. consistency. Al is certainly our expert here, considering he checks hundreds of people per day and truly knows the numbers and the trends of heavy drinkers, light drinkers, and teetotalers, and he always weighs in with his advice on this issue, especially for our newbies. But regarding the highjacking of threads, it's just like putting 100 of us in a room together -- the conversation will sway back and forth from topic to topic, and that's normal. Oh, well, just my two cents.

This has been a very interesting thread. I'm with Bonnie, I love my Miller Lirte beer. Never in access, but never did drink to access before. Now has anyone ever seen me drunk at our reunions? I think not! :D

HighRain I'm here! Can't wait for Vegas, pool party, margaritas (maybe one) not much of a hard liquor drinker any more. Slides! Did someone mention a slide. If I don't get a cramp in my stomach again when sitting down on that sled thing, maybe I'll even get down the darn slide, instead of the Ski Lift! :D

I agree with you Rob, in one way, about new comers visiting the site, but on the other hand, if they really take time to get to know us here, they would see that there is a lot of information they can get, plus realize were really a fun loving caring informative group. A site I'm sure they will want to become part of. The fact we have a warfarin expert who inputs on this site is a great plus! Thanks for being here AL!

Sherry: Coming to Vegas. :cool: Hope to see you on the 14th in Batavia!

Update

Update

Another big test.

4/16 - 6+ Beers

4/18 - 8+ (Rough Friday Morning)

4/20 - 8+ & 2 Car Bombs :eek:

5/2 - INR 2.4 :)

Dear, dear Moo:
If you were mine, I don't know what I would do....spank you, hug you, or just bite you on the nose!!! I do know that, although you worry me, you have a great sense of self and a good sense of humor. In a way, I admire you. As Gen. Patton said, "If everyone is saying the same, someone isn't thinking." You got me thinking and you make me smile. Please take care of yourself.
Blanche

Moo

Moo

April 18th ..was on a Monday..why were you having a bad Friday morning? :confused: 8 beers on a monday night and you were feeling badly by Friday? Or, you did say, rough Friday morning? Maybe it was those 8 beers plus 2 car bombs on Wed. the 20th? that you cannot remember? :D Bonnie

Looks like the alcohol isn't affecting your INR, Moo, if I'm interpreting this correctly. You may want to cut back on the car bombs, though.

Myself, I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast.

Granbonny said:
April 18th ..was on a Monday..why were you having a bad Friday morning? :confused: 8 beers on a monday night and you were feeling badly by Friday? Or, you did say, rough Friday morning? Maybe it was those 8 beers plus 2 car bombs on Wed. the 20th? that you cannot remember? :D Bonnie

Wrong Dates... Should read:

Another big test.

4/26 - 6+ Beers

4/28 - 8+ (Rough Friday Morning)

4/30 - 8+ & 2 Car Bombs

5/2 - INR 2.4

Sorry for the mistake... :rolleyes:

Rich

Rich:

Don't know if anyone has brought this up -- but check out www.coumadin.com under prescribing information. The pdf file is the leaflet that comes from Bristol-Myers-Squibb ... says that alcohol can both increase and decrease the INR.

Most of us here have operated under the assumption that alcohol INCREASES our INR. However, BMS says yes -- and no.

Wonder what your INR would have been had you not imbibed?

Moo, I presume you're not an Islamicist terrorist, so I don't know what a "Car Bomb" is. Can you explain?

And if I recall correctly, 2.4 is within the desired range for you. Izzat right?

And wondering about the effect of blood-alcohol level in all this. Our bodies metabolize about a drink an hour - so that 8 drinks over the course of the day really wouldn't raise your BAL that much, while slamming down 8 drinks in an hour certainly would. Wondering if the former wouldn't affect INR much, while the latter would.

Which means, Moo, that in the name of science you need to not only quadruple your Coumadin dose as previously requested, but you need to wash it down with a fifth of Jack Daniels'. Please have your survivors post the results.

Barry said:
Moo, I presume you're not an Islamicist terrorist, so I don't know what a "Car Bomb" is. Can you explain?

And if I recall correctly, 2.4 is within the desired range for you. Izzat right?

And wondering about the effect of blood-alcohol level in all this. Our bodies metabolize about a drink an hour - so that 8 drinks over the course of the day really wouldn't raise your BAL that much, while slamming down 8 drinks in an hour certainly would. Wondering if the former wouldn't affect INR much, while the latter would.

Which means, Moo, that in the name of science you need to not only quadruple your Coumadin dose as previously requested, but you need to wash it down with a fifth of Jack Daniels'. Please have your survivors post the results.

As for the Car Bomb:
1 Pint Guiness (3/4 full actually)
1 Shot of Baileys Topped with Jameson (Irish Cream)
Drop the shot in and chug (Takes about 3-4 seconds)

And yes 2.4 is in range (2.0-3.0).

As for the dosage increase, ahhhhh no. I hate this coumadin stuff as it is.

Rich

Moo said:
As for the Car Bomb:
1 Pint Guiness (3/4 full actually)
1 Shot of Baileys Topped with Jameson (Irish Cream)
Drop the shot in and chug (Takes about 3-4 seconds)

Is nothing sacred?

Guiness is my absolute favorite beer/stout.

Jameson's is my absolute favorite Irish whisky (don't care for Irish Cream)

I think I'll stick with a shot of Jameson's and a Guiness chaser.

PS "whisky" ("whiskey" in American spelling" is derived from the Gaelic "o'is keigh" - "Nectar of the Gods")

Wonder what happened to Moo. Hope he's OK.

Anyway, resurrecting this old chestnut because I just got back from talking with my cariologist about this and a few other things. The doc very responsibly inquired very closely about my alcohol use (most docs never seem to do this, despite all the health problems associated with alcohol), told him that I drink a jigger (1 1/2 ounces) of Bourbon a day. That I'd like to drink more if I could get away with it, but that I don't want to screw up my INR.

Anyway, the doc told me that the real problem with alcohol and Warfarin is getting smashed and then hitting your head or falling down and getting a cerebral hemmorhage.

Rings true for me: Father-in-law of a friend of mine was on Coumadin, accidentally hit his head on the wall behind him when sitting at a restaurant booth and it killed him.

I guess among the limitations imposed on my lifestyle by Coumadin I'm going to have to include giving up bare-fisted boxing. I'd already given up knife-fighting.

Still ticking and testing...

Still ticking and testing...

Barry said:
Wonder what happened to Moo. Hope he's OK.

Thanks for your concern. I'm fine. I've maintained a fairly steady testing program: 5 to 8 beers, 2 times a week (Tuesday/Thursday) and have stayed in a decently close range.

4/20 - 2.4
4/25 - 2.3
5/2 - 2.4
5/9 - 3.1
5/16 - 2.4
5/23 - 2.0
6/1 - 2.1
6/6 - 2.6

Mind you, all these numbers are on the same dosage that kept me 2.5-3.5, the only thing I do now is eat 5-6 salads a week.

After 2 Months of solid testing and no abnormal readings, I think I can safely say that in MY case, alcohol has no effect on INR. :)

Rich

You were smart to increase your salads because the more vitamin K you take in, the less likely the INR is to fluctuate.

I'm really glad to know this!

I'm really glad to know this!

allodwick said:
I don't know why hot,spicy foods seem to make no difference. We live in a place that grows a lot of green chilis. They are roasted everywhere including Wal Mart in late summer. You can hardly get a bowl of oatmeal without green chili mixed in. The favorite local burger is the slopper - a cheeseburger served open face smothered in green chili.

Boy, am I glad you posted this, Al.

Now I know that on what has become for us pretty much an annual trek to Northern New Mexico it is safe to eat as much green (and red) chile as I want. It is something I look forward to every year. I had wondered if green chile was one of the "green" veggies I am supposed to be careful about.

Latest posts

Back