Worsening symptoms

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

amy

My husband is having an Aortic Valve replacement July 24 (our 20th anniversary). The past week he has noticed that he is starting to become winded doing things that never gave him trouble before. He has had some angina the past few days. This is also new for him. I guess we schedueled his surgery just in time.

It sure sounds like it's time. I'm going through the samething minus the angina.

Have you told the Doc's about the chest pains? I think they might want to know about that asap.

My husband described the chest pain as a mild muscle cramp following exertion. He wasn't planning on telling the doctor until I insisted and told him that I would call if he doesn't.

Hi Amy-

I've learned some very hard lessons throughout Joe's illnesses, and the most important one is that you get medical care fast. Don't wait around, even if you have to go to the ER. It's a total pain in the ---, but heart people can't wait.

So if your husband is reluctant, just take the bull by the horns and make the call yourself. It might turn out to be OK, but at least you won't be saying, "if only".

Dear Amy:

Try not to get too much more frightened that you are already. The exact same thing happened to my husband, twice. The first set back was at mid-August, when there was a noticeable set backwards. Then mid September, he experienced the same thing your husband did. I had picked him up to go down to the Red Cross, and he asked if he could lay down for a minute first. We got to the Red Cross (for a second blood donation), where they told me his pulse was thready, of course he also didn't look to good). When we got back into the car, he admitted that he had chest pain, but would not allow me to take him to the ER. I then drove him up to his PCP. While driving, he called them twice. They said they could not see him as his Dr. was booked. I parked outside and went in myself. You can just imagine how angry I was. Needless to say, about four sentences later, they had me bring him in and they hooked him up, etc. The bottom line is, this type of thing does happen, and you must manipualte him, however you can, to get some medical attention......just to make sure he is not in serious danger. From that point until the surgery three weeks later, he didn't move/breath, unless I knew exactly who/what/when and where. There was NO question in anyone's mind by that time, that his time was very limited without the surgery. That actually gave us all some peace, and determination to get through this whole. God Bless you on this journey.
Marybeth

His first excuse was that he has too much to finish up at work. I reminded him that his father died at 54 and uncle 46...both heart attacks. I told him that he will get a lot less done if he has a heart attack. He promised that he will call today. When I called him at work, he didn't call yet and was annoyed that I had called. I told him that he can get mad because I care. He then promised to call me after he calls the doctoe. If it doesn't happen by two, I will call myself. If he pouts ...OH WELL AGHHHHHHH It promises to be a long long long day. Better jump in the shower now. Who knows what will happen as this day unfolds

Hello Amy,

I strongly support everyone's suggestion that your husband get tested ASAP !

I scheduled my surgery for 2 months after I met my surgeon in order to finish my taxes and get everything in order and accomodate his travel schedule. I took the first surgical date after his return. Two days before I was to check in, I had moderately intense chest pains and went to the ER in an ambulance. They held me over for observation.

Only hours after I checked in for surgery, I was sent to the CICU where a balloon pump was insesrted into my heart the night before surgery. I hate to think what might have happened if I had waited any longer !

Bottom Line: DON'T PLAY GAMES WITH YOUR LIFE !

When a valve shuts down, you don't get a second chance.

'AL'

Amy it's too close and too risky not to get him into a Doctor just to make sure things are o.k.. I don't need to harp on ya, but do whatever it takes to get him in to one. This might not wait another week.

Thinking of you and your hubby,
Ross

Amy,
Your husband's symptoms may just be due to pre-surgical anxiety, but better safe than sorry. Have him checked out to make sure.
We men like to be tough, but this is not the time. I was lucky that my wife bugged me to get to the cardiologist when I needed to.
Good luck.
Mark

My husband did just speak with the cardiologists office. They want to move the catherization up to tomorrow or Wednesday to see what is going on. He was told to get right to the ER iff his symptoms get any worse.

Dear Amy:

Another note. When my husband has experienced angina in the past, they told us it was angina, but different then for folks who had blockages in their coronary arteries. Therefor, nitro was NOT recommended, as nitro opens up those arteries, and that would be contra indicated for a person who was having angina from the heart not able to pump enough blood. I am not sure I explained it correctly, but the cath getting moved up is a very good thing. That way, if he has the angina again pre-surgery, they will know how to treat him. The cath will tell if he has any blocked artieres.

Over the past year, Amy, I have been exactly where you are, more times than I wish to count. I decided when my husband was first dx'd that he needed the new valves, that I would let him have full control over the process. What I have found though, is that there are times that I have needed to step in. I could give you a number of examples. For example, there have been times when he plain and simply wasn't feeling up to making the phone calls. And, then other times, when I actually think he might have been embarassed to be calling his Dr., about something that might be trivial.......I think that might be a testosterone thing. Over the past year, there have been moments when I've reminded him that he not only has an obligation to himself to stay as well as he can, but that he has an obligation to me as well. I remind him how we both signed up for the long run the day we got married, and that I want him with me for every day and every hour that God's will has in store. I remind him that in our entire lives together I have not been selfish...........but this time I am. This is what I want. He and I together, till the last....whenever that might be.....for either of us. There is no one in the world who loves him, and cares about him as much as I do.............and thats a fact. So, if he needs me to step in sometimes.......just say the word..........and I'll be there.

Best of luck tomorrow.....or Wednesday with the heart cath. Please let us know what happens.

It sounds like the Dr. is right on track with this one!

Marybeth

I'm not happy that he's having symptoms, but I'm elated that he got ahold of the Doc. I thought they might say something like that.

Try to stay at ease, if possible. Let us know the results of the Cath when you know them.

I'll certainly keep you both in thought and prayer.

HELLO AMY

SO GLAD THAT HE'LL BE IN FOR THE ANGIO.....A MUCH WISER THING TO DO THAN WAIT.

PLEASE LISTEN TO MARYBETH....SHE IS ABSOLUTELY RIGHT....A TESTOSTERONE THING SOUNDS GOOD, BUT I ALSO FEEL IT CAN BE BECAUSE THEY HAVE A TENDENCY TO PROCRASTINATE AND MINIMIZE THINGS....THEY ALSO DON'T WANT TO WORRY THEIR OTHER HALF WHO IS ALREADY WORRIED OUT OF HER MIND ANYWAY. MY HUSBAND SAID THIS MORNING THAT IF I HADN'T PUSHED HIM HE PROBABLY WOULDN'T HAVE HAD THE SURGERY DONE AT THE FIRST POSSIBLE DATE HE COULD HAVE GOTTEN.....DUH!!!!! WE'RE TALKING HIS LIFE HERE, SO YOU GO GIRL AND BE AS AGRESSIVE AS IS NEEDED TO TAKE GOOD CARE OF HIM.

PLEASE LET US KNOW THE RESULTS.....WE'LL BE PRAYING FOR YOU.

EVELYN

PS. AND OF COURSE, WALTER , ROSS, NANCY AND JOE, YOU GUYS ARE RIGHT UP THERE ON MY LIST, TOO

I agree with you about the testosterone thing. Boy is it frustrating. He was not happy with me for "bugging" him about it. I told him that I would rather he be annoyed but alive. If he resents me for caring, then Oh. well. That did mellow him out. I guess he knew that I would drive him crazy until he called and figured it was less stressful to call the doctor. When the doctor wanted to move the cath up and told him to go to the er if there was any worsening of symptoms, he realized that his concerns were not viewed as trivial by the doctor

Yeah Amy! We gals have to be tough sometimes. The guys don't want to be seen as whimps. But you gotta do what you gotta do.

He may not thank you in words, but he'll be thinking them.

Are you ladies ganging up on us stubborn old men?
We love you for it, we just have to fight it. It's part of our biological being. :D

NOW ROSS, YOU KNOW WE'D NEVER DO THAT TO YOU GUYS!!! WELLLLLLLL, MAYBE JUST A LITTLE. STAY WELL.

EVELYN

Back