Wisdom Tooth Extraction

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine susan

Hi everyone! I have been reading the various and several threads which are similar to my concern, but not really specific so am asking a different question. I have to have 2 wisdom teeth pulled. Neither are impacted so the oral surgeon doesn't think there will be much if any otherwise cutting. We discussed the coumadin and he really didn't have much of an opinion one way or the other. I am of a mind to not stop the coumadin at all except maybe the day before. I take 6 mg a day. On those few occasions in 4 years when I have gotten out of kilter for one reason or another, it hasn't taken much to get back in line. Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm not sure I understand all the Lovenox and Heparin talk. Nor do I like the concept of hospitalization just to have these 2 teeth removed, not that it has otherwise been mentioned, but note that someone here has to have some cysts removed that way. Anyway, your shared thoughts and experiences will be most appreciated! Thanks! Susan :cool:

You might want to check out this link at Al's site.
http://www.warfarinfo.com/procedures.htm

Personally, I think you should continue your Coumadin and just expect to bleed a little longer. I really don't think it's going to be that big of a deal. Besides, it takes 3 days for a change to occur in your INR so stopping one day before isn't really going to do anything. Tis much more preferred to bleed then to clot and stroke out. :)

Hi Susan,
I had a tooth removed a few years back.
They had me stop the Coumadin for three days prior.
That is a scary thing and could lead to severe problems.
If I had to do it over again I would ask them to just stitch it up to control the bleeding and not stop the Coumadin.

How about some green veggies?

How about some green veggies?

Susan,

Recently my employer (a dentist) had a patient come in to have several teeth extracted (I think 4). His Drs. did not want to take him off his coumadin, so they just made sure that he ate a good amount of green veggies during the 2 or 3 days prior to the extraction. The nurses also had him drinking green tea. This might be a good way to very temporarily bring down the INR. Discuss your options with your primary care Dr. or cardiologist (whoever is managing your coumadin).

HTH

Hi Susan,

Staying on the coumadin with normal dosages seems much preferable to the other alternatives.

According to my cardiologist, lovenox is no longer an option. So, if a person is to stop coumadin, it means a week stay minimum in the hospital, tied to the IV heparin, even for the simplest procedure.

I'm searching now for a surgeon who is willing to remove my cysts while I'm on coumadin; I'm told there are many such. Fortunately, it's not a rush decision.

I had a wisdom tooth extracted a year ago and did not stop Coumadin. My dentist did not even suggest it. It was a simple extraction with no cutting. I slightly bleed (Or more of a drainage) for 36 hours or so. That may even be a normal occurence with an extraction and not the result of taking Coumadin.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Thanks to you all--I think it is easy to see that I will definitely not be stopping the coumadin! Now I just got to get the nerve to go through with it--weird but heart surgery seems a breeze compared to having a tooth pulled! Thanks, Susan:D

To ShezaGirlie

To ShezaGirlie

I had to chuckle at your "other sunshine state" comment. I ws in your fair state just a couple of weeks ago, landed in Ft. Worth in the first ice storm in years--nary a day of sunshine!! But then I wasn't there for fun albeit the ice certainly turned it into an adventure I wasn't planning on! My best friend from 2nd grade was dying from breast cancer and I went to visit while I still could, fearful I wouldn't make it in time (iced in at hospital and slept on the floor of the ICU waiting room!). I did fotunately make it, but she has since passed on. I feel as if my right arm has been cut off. However, I had visited several times before and really enjoyed it. Also have some friends in Tyler. Thanks for your experience--I am NOT looking forward to this!!! Susan:cool: :(

Sunshine Susan...

Sunshine Susan...

Susan -- Condolences on the loss of your close friend. You were a dear friend to be near her toward the dawning of her new 'life.'

On the wisdom tooth issue: I don't love going to the Dentist either. I always take my CD player along with Stevie Ray Vaughan and turn him up full blast.. Drowns out all those n-o-i-s-e-s-s-s..;)

He's my 'pride and joy.'

WAIT a minute, the clinic that used to manage my coumadin said I had to go of it for 3 days before my procedure and go on Lovenox. But if that's not an option...Perhaps maybe this is why they USED to manage my coumadin and why I found someone else...Ok, I guess I just confused everybody now...SORRY!

Latest posts

Back