When Choice Is Not An Option

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Shari

As I was reading Peter and Peachy's posts regarding making the choice among various valve options, I was thinking about those of us (and I'm talking about my husband in our case) who were not given a choice because of having emergency surgery. He was given the St. Jude (Gold) valve. It's not as if we had a choice in the matter, so I guess I'm just finding something to worry about. Hopefully, it will last a long time and if any problems should arise, we would know about it ahead of time in order to correct it. Has there been a history of mechanical valves just failing all at once? I know it will take a while to get used to everything that goes along with it (ticking, coumadin)...it's only been about seven weeks since the surgery. Does anyone with a mechanical valve have second thoughts on their choice (if it was theirs to make)?

Hi Shari,

I am in the same boat. I had emergency surgery and woke-up with a St Judes.. The main thing is... I WOKE-UP! It is so good to be alive!

My surgeon tells me my valve has a 50 yr waranty. Not sure what to do if I have a waranty failure, but in the meantime... it sure feels good to hear a hearty clicking!

Rob

When I had my valve replaced in 1988 the only choice was between a mechanical and pigs valve. The pigs valve was only being recommended for older people (probably >70 years) because of the expected short life of the pigs valve and the potential difficulty in older people being diligent in taking coumadin and the monthly blood tests.

At the time of my replacement, St. Jude was the only valve that did not have problems. There was another type of valve that caused serious problems and had a high risk of failure and emergency replacement if caught in time. I believe some people had them replaced before they failed. To demonstrate my faith and hope in the St. Jude valve, I made a small investment in their stock right after the successful replacement.

Mechanical or Bio?

Mechanical or Bio?

Hi Shari,I had a mechanical valve-St.Jude bileaflet- put in when I was 72 now three years ago. I am pleased with the decision of my surgeons. The surgeon who operated on me said he discussed it with his colleagues at a staff meeting and the concensus was to go mechanical. I think the bio valves are getting better but apparently a lot of the older ones went out faster than the patients and the surgeons liked. I heard of valves that needed reop in three years , five years , etc. though some are still functioning well at ten and fifteen years.As for the ticking I never hear it any more except sometimes late at night in bed when I roll onto my left side. As Rob said ,I too find it somewhat reassuring. The Coumadin can be a problem. It is the most mismanaged drug in the formulary.You need a good doctor to follow you post op. If you feel neglected try to find a hospital or HMO clinic run by pharmacists or nurses. Around this area I think they do a better job than doctors offices.Once you find your correct weekly dose and it varies widely from patient to patient, things get better. You may then need testing only every 4 to 6 weeks. Many of us like to go one step farther and self test with a home fingerstick monitor. And finally if you self test it is a short step to self regulate the dose of warfarin. I had a checkup with my doctor last Monday. I have been self regulating for two years so he said lets see how you and your Coaguchek are doing. He drew blood and sent it to the hospital. Result INR 3.2! Please feel free to contact me personally if you have any questions. Marty

St. Jude stock

St. Jude stock

Herb I bought St. Jude stock also for sentimental reasons after my surgery in September 1998. I paid $27 a share. Last time I looked it was $62. I wish I had put all my money in it instead of buying so many of those high flying tech stocks. Marty

Back