What is your emergency plan(s) for when warfarin goes wrong?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good morning Protime

I found my reference to the paper - years ago - and it's no longer online.
thanks for the link, using that I was able to get to the paper (attached)

Regarding bridging, the Duke paper said "Bridging should be considered if a patient is on Coumadin, and will be having a procedure or surgery." In other words
which means to me:
  • considered may not mean you decided its needed
The risk of a clot forming on a heart valve probably varies from individual to individual, and is also related to the type of valve.
something I say here all the time

what I didn't see in that was anything to support your assertion of:
According to a study by the Duke Clinic (I'm still looking for it), it takes 10 days (I'd only give it a week) when your INR is below 2 for a clot to form.

so I think you may have just mis-remembered it ... unless I missed it in the document.

Best Wishes

Attachments

• Coag Binder 1-09.pdf
    946.9 KB · Views: 0
That may not actually be the paper I remembered. I searched for an earlier message that I sent, and maybe grabbed the wrong paper.

I have to keep looking for it -- the paper I remember had specific charts showing the risk of clots by the number of days a person was off warfarin, It was specific, and, IIRC had a chart showing the risks, day by day.

I will have to do more hunting to find the correct article that I've been quoting. IIRC (and I'm pretty sure that am) risk started on day 10 and got higher the longer a person (I think these were people - not a sample of patients who were asked to skip dosage - but people who came in with thromboembolic issues -- I don't remember how many were included in this anecdotal report).

Attached some guidelines from 2016 i received from a doctor in the family; Maybe this gives more info about the subject;

Attachments

• Guidelines_for_warfarin.pdf
    58.1 KB · Views: 0
In 34 years I’ve gone to urgent care one time for blood in my urine. Seems cranberry juice and warfarin don’t mix. That was pre-home monitoring. I think my INR was close to 10 or something ridiculous.

Urgent care is like ER-light. Just a staffed clinic. No hospital and lower cost (back then a small co-pay).

Don’t remember exactly what we did other than stop cranberry juice and hold / adjust dosing with more frequent testing till I was back in range. And I took a short leave from my job as a target for a knife thrower in the circus. 😁

As for a “plan”? I’m definitely more of a take it as it comes kind of person. Every situation is different.

Latest posts

Back