What is the LDA? Does it show infection in a replaced aortic valve?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

heartlady2

Hi again, Rob, zipper, and many of you have helped me before. My husband Max had his aortic valve replaced with a St. Jude valve in January, 2001. He had an auto accident last thursday--was rear -ended. He had some bleeding in his urine, just after the accident. The doctor now thinks it wasn't due to the impact, but may have something to do with infection (is giving him antibiotic) I thought he meant a urinary tract infection. But today the doc said no, that Max's LDA (?) I think--some function of the valve he said, was elevated, and he would be watching it--wants Max to finish the antibiotic of course. By the way, Max's coumadin was cut in half due to his being put on Cipro, but yesterday his protime was 1.4, so he's increased it back to his previous level of 5.0 coumadin 5 days a week, and 2.5 mg coumadin two days a week! He said for Max to finish the antibiotic next week, and return to him the next week. I 'm wondering what this LDA is? Or is it LDH? He said it was not cholesterol--it was a measure having to do with the heart valve. Now I'm worried--any thoughts would be appreciated! Helen

Hi Helen,

First... Happy Birthday.. !!!!! hehehehe...See what happens when you post your B-day when you sign up! I hope it was a good one.

OK, now.. I have looked up both LDA and LDH I cannot find out any information on these. Could you check back with the doctor to find out exactly what it is he was talking about?

Next, I am assuming that Max's valve is mechanical. His INR should never go below 2.0 In fact, 2.5 t0 3.5 would probably be prefered. The risk of blood clotting greatly increases for us when the INR falls below 2.0

Bob Gleason, one of our charter members posted a chart awhile back that was fantastic. It showed you the risk levels that were associated with the INR readings.

I hope this link works to get back to his original post.

http://www.valvereplacement.com/for...ent.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=133

If not do a search on the site, do a partial member name search for "Gleason" then when there, go to page #4

Please post back and clearify the LDA and LDH.

Rob

Last edited:
Hi again Helen,

I just read Larry's response on the other site.

His post....

Hi Helen,

I would still get that lawyer involved. This is too close to the accident not to be related. According to labtestsonline, LDH is part of a liver panel that includes AST, PT time and LDH (lactic acid dehydrogenase). You should be able to research that one further.

Larry

I just wanted to say.. I agree with Larry. If Max didn't have a problem with his liver prior to the accident, then the accident most likely caused this, I would watch his INR closely, get it up, as I mentioned in the post above, but more importantly.. find out how to get this problem with Max and his LDH corrected.

Wishing you both the best,

Rob

Hi Helen-

I found this definition. Hope it helps.

LDH: Lactate dehydrogenase is an enzyme that catalyzes the conversion of lactate to pyruvate. This is an important step in energy production in cells. Many different types of cells in the body contain this enzyme. Some of the organs relatively rich in LDH are heart, kidney, liver, and muscle.

As cells die their LDH is released and finds its way into the blood. Normal LDH levels vary with age, being higher in childhood due to bone growth. Analysis of LDH has not been standardized and normal ranges vary greatly between laboratories. Generally, the upper limit of normal for adults is in the range of 200 units/liter.

thanks

thanks

thanks Nancy, Rob-I really appreciate your help! Max's doc knows that was very low Rob, so he increased his coumadin again--I'm watching for symptoms! I hope to find out more about this LDH thing. Have a good weekend. Thanks for the birthday wishes! It was a good day! Helen

He may be referring to Left Coronary Artery (LCA) or left Anterior Descending (LAD) artery. The LCA is one of the two main coronary arteries that supply blood to the heart. The left main coronary artery branches into two arteries needed for the left side of the heart. The LAD, left anterior descending artery, runs down the anterior interventricular sulcus and provides blood to the septum between the two ventricles as well as the anterior wall of the left ventricle.

Jack.

Thanks Rob/(chart)

Thanks Rob/(chart)

Hi Helen,

Good advice here from these folks I printed the graph/chart out that Rob so kindly referred us to.

I know you are very knowledgable in heart matters due to your own struggles, but I am so glad to see you here for Max's valve info!!!!

Happy St Pat's Day..keep us posted on Max, please!

Zipper/Joan *~*

Latest posts

Back