What home testing service do you use?

Help Support ValveReplacement.org:

almost_hectic

IF you use a service for home INR testing supplies, who monitors your results. Which company/service do some of you use? If you test at home, buy your own test strips and don't use a service Im not looking for that kind of additional input. But if you have a company who provides you that service, Im curious to know who the company is and how you like them.

starrman

VR.org Supporter
The company providing the supplies monitors the results and the results are also sent to your cardiologist in my case. You will or do know how to adjust your blood thinner dosage that can be confirmed by either using algorithms or by your monitoring doctor. I have been self monitoring for over 5 years without a major problem. For me it is more convenient plus I test every week (or even more if I want) as compared to each month when I went to the INR clinic at the cardiologist. The monthly cost with insurance was not significantly different. The company who coordinated the supplies, machine and results is MDINR, LLC which is part of Lincare, a Linde company.

almost_hectic

Thanks starrman, MDINR is one I will look into. I already home test and am completely comfortable with how to do it and such, im just looking for a new company based on my insurance.

Superman

Real Time Diagnostics is the one I use. They supply my meter, test strips, and lancets. I email my results to them, they forward to the ‘Coumadin Clinic’, then the Clinic calls to verify with me and we discuss what changes, if any, are needed. Usually this is a voicemail or a quick second to confirm my dosing hasn’t changed and to keep doing what I’m doing

It took a bit, but the clinic seems to trust me now and will update my chart with whatever I tell them I’m doing. Being in range 90% of the time and knowing why I’m out of range when that happens has serves to build trust.

Real Time seems to be strictly a supplier and record keeper, which works for me.

I did have a positive clinic experience this week. After throwing my back out and being in a ton of pain, I was prescribed a steroid taper and a muscle relaxer. They called me unsolicited to confirm and we agreed to test early to check for any INR impact. I was planning on that already, but not everyone has 30 plus years experience on Warfarin and a proactive discussion like that can be a lifesaver.

tom in MO

My meter and supplies comes from Edgepark (BCBS specified provider) based upon my cardiologist's order. My cardio group has a coumadin clinic they want me to use but I didn't because of the cost. I home test and dose, but needed my personal cardio's permission to do this per group practice rules. He met with me and gave me permission; I compared home testing go diabetes management which is similar but more frequent, at least equal in risk but patient-managed. At my yearly checkup I show him my testing and dosing history so he knows I am compliant, in range and not yet incompetent :)

Keithl

My PCP let’s me self manage and I bought my own machine and supplies. My cardiologist wanted me to use a service that would have been $120 a month. I run any changes by my PCP, but she knows how I am about my health and I have been seeing her for like 14 years.

Mister_James

I have Acelis.

You call in and report your INR into an automated system. System prompts if you want supplies and they connect you to a live body that puts in an order for you.

They report to my cardio and a nurse calls me to stay the same and test again in 2/3 weeks.

They typically ship 2 boxes of strips at a time. I have not figured how and when they charge but the cost to the insurance company for the year is more than if they allowed me to buy a meter outright.

QuincyRunner

VR.org Supporter
I also have Acelis Connected Health (formerly Alere Home Monitoring) to whom I report my weekly results and order strips whenever needed using their App. It is very convenient and I don't pay anything. They bill my insurance company, which is an HMO, only $47.12 per month.

Latest posts