Water filter .

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATHENS1964

Microplastics are everywhere, I've been using a water filter for many years, what do you know?
Overall, the study found that thrombi retrieved from major blood vessels of patients with myocardial infarction, ischemic stroke, or deep vein thrombosis contain significant concentrations of microplastics of varying polymer types and physical properties. Furthermore, the risk of thrombotic events and disease severity increases with increasing levels of microplastics.
https://www.news-medical.net/news/2...tm_campaign=cardiology_newsletter_5_june_2024

Last edited:
Good morning

yes, microplastics are an issue (in another area I've been bringing this to attention for some decades now).

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35367073/

However my view is that water is not the main problem but (like with so many other things) accumulation of these things in the "autotrophs" via accumulation and concentration via food chain consumption.

The fish eat the plankton, the fish are eaten by bigger fish and eventually it winds up on your plate.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0269749123022352?via=ihub

Water filtration is probably the least effective way of blocking it because water is usually filtered and at the very least sedimented by water treatment facilities. So if your tap water runs clear then there are probably few microplastic particles.

I do use water filtration here at home but only for deionisation and only for what water goes into my coffee machine. Its lasted for nearly 20 years now perhaps because I used simple filters to remove ions like chlorine.

There are limits to what filtration can do with particle sizes of 1µm in size.

Best Wishes

Last edited:
Unless there's a way to remove micro plastics from all around us - and to ban their use - these things will be around centuries longer than we are. Maybe they'll find a friendly organism that feeds on these things and (maybe?) converts them into energy --- imagine filling silos with water, letting the organisms do their thing - and getting pure, potable water out one end and a lot of DC energy at the other. The goal will be to digest and remove microplastics - but we may be so addicted to microplastics energy, we may just start making them to feed the critters.

microplastics ... - and to ban their use -
in case you aren't sure, microplastics come from every plastic we use; which then breaks down into something so small you can't see it. So to "ban their use" would mean banning everything synthetic used in clothes all the way through to packaging.

Even just doing the laundry releases them in the water. They are not sufficiently trapped in sewerage treatment in 1st world countries let alone Asia...

Last edited:
Yes, but microplastics were also intentionally added to shampoos and other products - IIRC, microplastics helped make hair 'shine.' So, yes, some microplastics slough off of glass containers, but microplastics are (or were) created specifically for other purposes.

Consumer Reports reported on Microplastics recently. I was aghast at the high concentration levels for some “healthy” products. Example: Cheerios (the cereal pellicle, not the little wieners, 😂). Cheerios has an ungodly high concentration of microplastics. Seeing that number literally stopped me from buying them. I’ve also stopped drinking bottled water. I now use a 40oz steel container that I fill twice a day with tap water (filtered using an under counter filter) and 1 Tbsp pure organic lemon juice. No more Brita water filter for me.

I’m hoping that small changes can assist in a slower accumulation of these things in my body.

Lemon tastes good. I have a Meyer Lemon tree in front of the house and should be drinking the juice. I use water from the refrigerator filter. I don't know if the activated charcoal can get things as small as microplastics. I don't know if a ceramic filter can, either.

don't know if the activated charcoal can get things as small as microplastics. I don't know if a ceramic filter can, either
activated charcoal is based on ionic attraction not filtration; so things in solution, not suspension.

For ultrafiltration you need a filter which can be backwashed or cleaned or be disposable. The finer the filter the more pressure (or time with gravity) is needed to push the water through the fine filter.

This won't be effective on your foods.

I've argued for decades now that all behaviours in a closed system are self correcting:
1717878835084.png

our approach to our successes in the industrial revolution combined with our apparent natures as animals will also see a correction ... I've got popcorn ready as perhaps I'll get to see the wars of resource grabbing.

Last edited:
activated charcoal is based on ionic attraction not filtration; so things in solution, not suspension.

For ultrafiltration you need a filter which can be backwashed or cleaned or be disposable. The finer the filter the more pressure (or time with gravity) is needed to push the water through the fine filter.

This won't be effective on your foods.

I've argued for decades now that all behaviours in a closed system are self correcting:
View attachment 890284
our approach to our successes in the industrial revolution combined with our apparent natures as animals will also see a correction ... I've got popcorn ready as perhaps I'll get to see the wars of resource grabbing.
You'll be in a better position to watch it unfold in relative safety over there in Oz than where I am in a crowded island off the coast of Europe 😅

I don't know if any of you get the Washington Post, but there was an interesting - and scary - photo story about microplastics. They're everywhere. We can't avoid them. The smallest particles are small enough to pass through filters. As Pellicle point out, it's not just microplastics that are intentionally made so our hair is shinier (or whatever) - microplastics are sloughed off just because plastic is there (microplastics in your plastic bottles, for example). It's not just the plastics - it's also the chemical additives that were used in their manufacture.

These things are scary - and I don't see if there's a way to get away from them - perhaps we can limit our exposure - but thee things are there all around us.

Back