Vitamin and mineral deficiencies and heart/body symptoms

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protimenow

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I learned a while ago that my arrhythmias seemed to come about when my sodium intake was low. I cook for my family, and my wife doesn't like using a lot of salt.

I was plagued with arrhythmias (and had two ablations to stop them), but they persisted -- until I started eating more salt - a hot dog or two a week helped. Blood sodium levels aren't something that my cardiologist (and probably other doctors) routinely check - except, perhaps, if it's too HIGH.

I've been struggling with hip pain for years - it got so bad that I was walking slightly bent over - this caused balance issues because my upper body pulled the weight forward. I've gone to rehab for balance.

Making things worse, I have some hammertoes, so it hurts to put a lot of weight on my toes.

Then my wife happened to find what was almost miraculous - Vitamin B1 (thiamine). I started taking it. My hip pain is greatly reduced. I'm standing upright. My toes aren't as painful as before. I'm walking better - able to take my usual long strides, instead of short, irregular steps.

The dose of B1 that I'm taking (a few hundred mg per day, using 100 mg capsules) is more than I can get with multivitamins or B50 supplements.

It hasn't touched my INR.

I'm wondering if some of us who may be struggling with cardiac issues or sore joints like I had (and, to a degree STILL have) might also be deficient of nutrients that doctors don't even think about. For me, I'm still trying to remember to get enough sodium. I'm taking thiamin. I'm not sure what else to take -- but it seems obvious (to me, at least) that at least one vitamin has been missing from my diet, and replacing it helped.

Of course, this is anecdotal, and I'm not making any advice, but your diet and vitamin/mineral intake may be pushing you into problems that might be avoidable.

I was plagued with arrhythmias (and had two ablations to stop them), but they persisted -- until I started eating more salt - a hot dog or two a week helped.
Hot dogs to improve heart health :unsure:

Vitamin B1 (thiamine). I started taking it. My hip pain is greatly reduced. I'm standing upright. My toes aren't as painful as before. I'm walking better - able to take my usual long strides, instead of short, irregular steps.
Interesting. Never heard that remedy before.

It looks like there is support in the medical literature for the pain reducing benefits of B1.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5102562/

Hot dogs for arrhythmia. Yes. The sodium helped increase the blood sodium levels and actually helped.

B1 has helped me. Now that I'm standing more erect (yeah, yeah, I know), I'm putting more weight on my left knee because of changing pressure on it. I'll probably have to get a cortisone injection or something before too long.

In the past Men's Collagen actually helped after a few days.

I'll see if it works, once I get a new batch and it starts kicking in.

The original point in my post was that some (many?) of us may be undernourished or vitamin/mineral deficient. Some of these deficiencies might (might) contribute to other physical symptoms, and perhaps, even to heart issues.

Reactions: V__
Back