Use of Naturopathic & Homoeopathic Remedies

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Homeopathy? Osler

Homeopathy? Osler

Al Lodwicks dissertation on homeopathy was right on. I did not want to get involved because as an MD some would say I was not being objective but only protecting my own own turf. I like many MD's my age were taught a lot about and by the great William Osler. Osler was a Canadian who after graduating from McGill made his way to Philadelphia where it became apparent he was a unique physician and teacher. He was one of four who was asked to launch the soon to be great medical school and hospital in Baltimore, Johns Hopkins. There he wrote his classic Textbook of Medicine. Like Al said, the big thing Osler preached was the same as Hippocrates "first ,do no harm" At the time Osler practised there were no more than five or six drugs with scientifically proven action...morphine, digitalis, aspirin, thyroid extract and maybe one or two others. Osler was finally offered the Regius Professor Chair of Medicine at Oxford, England and finished his great career in the UK. His beloved only child ,a son volunteered for WW1 and was killed ,a tragedy from which Osler never really recovered.

Firstly i apologise for the misinformation on where hawthorn comes from...put it down to the general anaesthetic i had on Friday...However just as 1 swallow makes not a summer; 1 mistake does not make me all wrong.
Secondly muddying the waters is noit always bad....crystal clear tells us absolutely nothing.
I Iwould not seek to harm anyone with my opinion.....and in this forum opinions and beliefs are all we have.
My intention is to help not harm.I
believe in adjunct therapies and complimentary medecine; I would not seek to make suggestions for another person's wellbeing unless I had tried them myself and found ithem helpful.

As I am not a dr or scientist; I rely on the effect to prove for me, if something works for me.
That I do not always understand the mechanism is no different from the dr's' take this you'll feel better approach.'
Science has always been based on the cause and effect process...often afterwards the mechanism is found.

It is my hope and belief that medecine that regards the whole person will recognise and understand many therapies in the future.The history of medecine and other sciences tells us that no matter how right we believe we are we are invariably wrong, or have vast new areas to discover .SCIENCE IS ALWAYS RIGHT UNTIL IT PROVES OR IS PROVED TO BE WRONG.

I believe we have to be open to change on all fronts
People who are always right are invariably wrong.
The doctors who treated me; and who performed surgery on me are not gods.They are humans with skills and frailties who are giving me their best shot.
I admire their dedication...but they are not invariably right about everything.

There are many thousands of years of investigation behind 'alternative' therapies such as accupuncture....No-one in western medecine can understand its processes yet they consistently observe its effects..i.e in the area of anaesthesia.

If western medecine does not understand the mechanics of an effect does it simply ignore the therapy?
Does having a a broken leg, or diseased heart valve, or angina affect the rest of our body???
Do our spirits affect our bodies?
hell they do!

Why do we blush when we are embarrassed, if mind and body are not connected?
It follows that the 'placebo effect' s simply a mechanism that western science does not understand yet which has an effect;
Finally, this is a heavily opinionated forum.
People offer advice all the time
We Talk of our experiences here, and everyone should feel like they have a voice.
This is a useful forum and full of useful advice; but that is all it is ,advice and opinion.Consult your cardiologist...
consult your
homeopath...your nutritionist...your accupuncturist...

Complimentary practitioners rarely state that you should not have western medecine, or that you should not seek the most effective practice that society can provide at this time.

I have found them to be highly responsible and supportive; which is what you need for surgery when you cannot speak to a cardiologist or cardiothoracic surgeon for months....

In a book I have , published by Dorling Kindersley'The Encycopaedia of Medicinal plants' written by Andrew Chevallier MNIMH he states :
Hawthorn has been fairly well researched. Its main medicinal benefit due to its bioflavinoid content.These constituents relax and dilate the arteries, especially the coronary arteries.this increases the flow of blood to the heart muscles and reduces the symptoms of angina.the bioflavinoids are also strongly antioxidant, helping to reduce or prevent degeneration of the blood vessels.
As a Cardiac herb:
A number of trials have confirmed hawthorn's value in treating chronic heart failiure, notably a 1994 trial in Germany that showed that hawthorn improved heart rate and lowered blood pressure.
Finally are you willing to trash someone's beliefs in naturopathy and homeopathy just when they have had a double valve surgery.
Is that any way to make them feel better?

It may be that belief is all.
Believing in God....believing in a a therapy...
it might be that we simply need to believe and trust in ....something.
Awaiting many interesting replies....

Latest posts

Back