Treadmill Test and Longevity

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

I just got back from my treadmill workout and this news came across the wire.

A person's peak exercise capacity as measured on a treadmill test is a more powerful indicator of how long someone will live than risk factors such as heart disease, high blood pressure,cholesterol, or smoking a new study says.

The study. done by researchers from the VA Palo Alto Care System/Stanford University, amounts to some of the strongest evidence yet of the importance of physical fitness.

For the study, patients with and without heart trouble were given treadmill tests where they were hooked up to sensors- including a mask to measure the amount of oxygen and CO2 in each breath.
They gradually increased the speed and inclination and continued to exhaustion, chest pain, etc.

The study found that that a person's chances of staying alive rise 12% with each increase of one "metabolic equivalent" when exercising as hard as one can.

A "metabolic equivalent" or MET is defined as the amount of oxygen used by the average person at rest. Two MET's is roughly equivalent to walking 2 mph; 5 METS at 4mph; 8 METS to a 6mph jog. The risk for those who couldn't get past 4MET was twice that of those who could get up to 8 METS. Whether you have or don't have heart disease going into the test, the higher you go the better you do in the long run.

This is not an endurance test- its a test of peak exercise capacity.
Walking briskly for 30 minutes three or four times a week was found to increase peak capacity. In fact the study found the greatest improvement in death rate was largest between the lowest 20% and the next lowest 20%.

This study was done on 6200 men some who had heart trouble and some who did not. They were followed for over a decade during which 1256 died.

Last edited:
Marty,
Thanks for this excellent information. It certainly sounds correct.

I conclude then that the more I use the treadmill, the better. Or is there a more specific conclusion to make? I use the treadmill every day for 45 minutes. I want to build back up, but it seems to take so long, perhaps because I was so run down before surgery, perhaps because I cheated afterwards on what I could do.

Time to get in good condition post heart surgery

Time to get in good condition post heart surgery

Jim, It does take time.Age, condition prior to surgery,type of surgery, etc. are factors. I am 75 had MVR
surgery over three years ago and still improving but it took a good two years to fully recover. I have a workout buddy age 42, aortic valve replacement who now runs 5K, 10K races who says it took him two years to recover. I also do 45' at 4mph and 3 or 4% incline. I try to keep my heart rate 120-130 bpm. This is about 5-6 METS.
You're doing fine. Keep it up.

Thanks Marty!

Thanks Marty!

Marty,

You are an inspiration. When I get to be your age, I hope I'll feel as good as you. It has also taken me 2 years to start feeling good. Just had a positive 2-yr. follow-up as well.

I enjoy participating in 5K/10K's. Would you mind giving my e-mail address ([email protected]) to your work-out buddy? I have some specific 5k training questions for him? Us clickers have to stay together, you know!

Thanks, and keep up the good work.

PerryA

Good for you, Perry!

Good for you, Perry!

Perry, it is guys like you who make their heart surgeons look good. I will indeed give your Email address to my friend. He has been busy lately as he is a computer systems guy at DOD and works directly for Rummy himself.

Latest posts

Back