tissue valve longevity

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jeferi

Hi,

I am expecting to have valve surgery in the next week or two.
I was planning on getting a mechanical valve for the mitral and aortic since my age being 38 and not wishing to have repeat surgery. I just heard from an aquaintance that a tissue valve can last a lot longer that the standard 10 or so years if one keeps to a certain diet. I was curious if anybody has heard of any info or validity of that concept? Thanks

Jeff

Hi Jeff-

What diet might that be?? Tissue valves vary a great deal in longevity, no matter what you do. They will all have to be replaced at some point, and there are only averages to go by. No one can tell you how long the tissue valves you have inside of you can last.

Speak with your surgeon about longevity.

If you go with tissue valves, consider this. What if your aortic valve gives out early, and has to be replaced, but the mitral valve is still OK. So you have the aortic done, then a couple of years later, the mitral gives out, and you have to have that one done. Then in another 10 years, more surgery will be on the horizon. You are 38 now. Knowing the average age of tissue valves, you would be facing for sure 2-3 surgeries and probably more.

I can tell you as the wife of a man who has had 3 valve surgeries, they don't get any better, and as you age, the recovery gets harder and harder, plus there is all that scar tissue to contend with, and even if there are advances in heart surgery, scar tissue will always be there.

Mechanical valves last indefinitely, at least much, much longer than tissue valves.

I bet your surgeon will counsel you differently because you are having two valves done.

This is pretty difficult stuff, isn't it? Best wishes.

Some tissue valves can last 15 years or more, but it's very rare to get up to 20 years. These instances are often found in the elderly, since older people do not calcify tissue valves as quickly as younger individuals.

Based on your age, you will certainly require a second operation by the time you are 55 or so (if you go with tissue).

If you want to reduce the risk of a second operation, get the mechanical.

I am not a medical professional, but nothing I've ever read indicates tissue valve life being extended by diet.

At your age, you will calcify a tissue valve quickly.

Some of us prefer to face subsequent surgeries instead of having to take blood thinners, however, most people with mechanical valves on this site do not seem to find it inconvenient or problematic at all.

Good luck in your decision. No matter which way you choose, you will be able to enjoy a very normal lifestyle afterwards.
Kev

Jeff

I just got the news that I will need my aortic valve replaced again. I had a homograft put in 14 years ago. It lasted longer than they originally expected, though now I've seen 13-15 years is normal. Some could even last longer, take a look at the Cleveland Clinic web site.

I was 31 years old at the time it was replaced, and they told me a homograft was a good choice since I wouldn't need blood thinners. We also hoped that medical advances would bring significantly better choices. While I'm sure there are some great advances, my choices are essentially the same - tissue valve that will require another surgery or mechanical valve that will require coumadin.

My surgeon said it would be hard to convince him to give me another homograft - I am 45 years old. He said the second operation is not so bad, but the risks increase with each time. He said I definitely should not go thru this a 3rd time, so he is recommending a mechanical valve. To make his point, he said the first valve surgery he did was in the 70's, a mechanical valve in a woman. She is still alive and the valve is doing fine.

I have never heard nor read anything that implies diet can extend the life of your valve.

Good luck

Rob
homog

Latest posts

Back