thumping heart

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csutherland

My husband is 2 wks post op. Last night we got some disturbing news (unrelated to his medical condition) and he got rather upset. His heart began "thumping" in his chest and he could feel it in his neck. It kind of scared him although he says it has done that a few times before and he didn't say anything. What exactly is that called? I read about PACs, PVCs, arrythmia, palpitations, etc. Are they all the same? Is it anything to be concerned about? There was no pain, just thumping.

Thumping Heart

Thumping Heart

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband, please keep us informed. Syl

There have been several posts on this. Do a search on"bounding pulse" , "hard beats" and "thumping". I think your husband will have plenty of company.

But if there is even the slightest question in your mind, please call your friendly cardiologist and run it by them. It's always nice to have some reassurance from the expert.

Good luck

Ye old bounding pulse

Ye old bounding pulse

Sounds like a "bounding pulse" which is what I have. I've been experiencing a hard pulse for a year! I can see/feel it in my neck also. Check out the definitions at http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003077.htm

My PCP explained it was caused by my mechanical valves and how they thrust open and close vs. a smooth, effortless opening/closing for normal valves.

I intend to discuss with my new Cardiologist at my March 12 appointment.

It was pretty intense for me about a month ago as it felt like there was a basketball game going on inside me from the chest up! Everything pounded like crazy! I was in a transitional de-caffeination period and am now completely decaffeinated. Symptoms have diminished greatly, but not gone away entirely. Go figure, these symptoms completely dissapear and don't bother me at all during exercise!

I'll let you know more in a couple of weeks what my Cardio doc says about it.

Perhaps I'm getting too much or not enough of one of my daily meds? (12.5mg Toprol XL, 25mg Digoxin, 20mg Altace, 85mg Ecotrin, alternating 2.5/5.0 Barr Warfarin) + vitamin supplements.

Last edited:
Heart rate-pounding heart

Heart rate-pounding heart

Hi Perry, Just read your post on pounding heart. So glad you posted that web site on difinitions. I looked it up and got alot of information, that I really needed to know. That is why I just love this Forum. I have some heart pounding but not always, when I walk of course,. But at night it seems to bother me more. I'm wondering if I should be on some kind of beta-blocker. I've been reading all the posts on this med, not to sure I want to go on it. Maybe I'll just wait and see. It's only been 4 weeks since my surgery. Thanks again. Talk to later. Syl

Back