Those taking 81 milligram aspirin may want to change

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jack

This is only for information,

A study of more than 250 people showed that most of those who took low-dose or coated aspirin in fact saw no reduced blood clotting, the researchers told a meeting of the American Stroke Association in Phoenix.

Full-sized, uncoated aspirin seemed more effective, according to a measurement of the blood's stickiness called platelet function, said Dr. Mark Alberts, director of the Stroke Program at Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...51&e=2&u=/nm/20030214/hl_nm/stroke_aspirin_dc

Jack.

I read that too. I think we need to get some real expert opinions on this. I've even seen one Cleveland Clinic response saying that In that physicians opinion, aspirin regime is worthless and he wouldn't recommend it anymore to his patients. Now I don't know what to think. :confused:

Hi Ross!
You know, when I left Cleveland after my surgery, the docs never put me on aspirin, just the coumadin. When I followed up with my cardio at UVA, he was surprised that the Cleveland docs didn't put me on a baby aspirin. My cardio has since put me on a baby aspirin along with my coumadin. I just wanted to let you know that Cleveland didn't find it necessary to put me on aspirin. The aspirin I take is uncoated. I guess different doc different opinion.

Take Care!
Gail

Other benefits from baby aspirin after heart surgery?

Other benefits from baby aspirin after heart surgery?

I don't think thining our blood is the only reason they put us on baby aspirin.... I remember asking my cardio about this a looong time ago.... but I can't remember exactly what his explanation was. :confused: But I do remember it wasn't to thin my blood.

And just a couple days ago my husband told me he heard on some radio talk show with doctors that if you take an aspirin a day you shouldn't use Ibuprofern... YIKES! Then what are we supposed to take?

I was placed on 81mg aspirin, in addition to Coumadin, because of an episode which caused blurred vision for half an hour. Apparently the aspirin takes a different approach to clot prevention, but I'm not sure of the medical term covering it.

additional resources

additional resources

Here are a couple of articles related to aspirin for heart patients. The first one discusses how aspirin supposedly works; the second one deals with ibuprofen negating the effects of aspirin.

http://www.warfarinfo.com/aspirin-platelets.htm

http://www.startribune.com/stories/670/3653690.html

I do know that many heart patients (homografts) from the Mayo Clinic are prescribed the 81 mg dose of aspirin; my surgeon put me on a 325 mg dose, but 3 months post op, my cardiologist said the 81 mg dose was fine.

While there seem to be discrepancies in what the researchers are telling us, I know from first-hand experience that my 81 mg coated (enteric) dose of aspirin reduces clotting for me; this is confirmed every time I get even a tiny nick shaving. With the extremely dry winter air in heated buildings, occassional bloody noses are common. Now when I get one, it takes quite a while before it stops bleeding. I am not on coumadin or any other blood-thinning drug, so I believe the only difference is the aspirin. The study Jack referenced did not say that aspirin didn't work, only that it seemed not to work for everyone. Perhaps a platelet test is in order for each of us on an aspiriin regimen?

My understanding is that aspirin helps avoid the clotting on the valve. It would not do anything to stop the breaking off of plaque or other stroke-causing events in other parts of the body.

I will definitely be consulting my doctor about this study...perhaps all of us should do that and compare notes.

--John

Last edited:
my surgeon put me on baby aspirin at my two week check up. he told me that he recommends that anyone over the age of 35 should take a baby aspirin a day anyway. what the heck if a child can take it them i am sure it won't do me any harm except maybe in my wallet.

rich

Some thing that I have noticed since I started taking 81 mg of asprin is that I haven't been as sick like colds and flu that a so common in the fall and winter months. I think there are other reasons we should take 81 mg of asprin, I am even thinking that my husband who has no major medical issues should take one just for the benifits. I think I have been alot healthier since I started taking my baby asprin.
FAYE in Idaho

I wonder is some of the reason for the 81mg of aspirin is for the anti-inflamatory benefits it may render since they are finding reasons to believe that much heart disease is caused by inflamationin the veins and arteries? Just a thought.

I was on 81 mg ecotrin, then the 325 mg. I was taken off the ecotrin back in December. I think it is up the cardio unit you are with will discuss the findinga and decide what sounds best in case. I have had no problems with being without the ecotrin. It is asprin and asprin thins the blood, it does nothing on clotting. Ask your docotor. I know about the asprin thinning the blood from my mother, who took coated asprin for arthitis pain. So ask your cardio to be educated on the aspin regement, if you are on one. Thanks for getting educated.

Caroline
09-13-01
Aortic valve replacement
St. Jude's valve

take an aspirin and call me

take an aspirin and call me

Just to add two cents - my cardio wants me on coumadin and the aspirin. Shortly after a blood clot was diagnosed, he also had me on Plavix. I'm not an expert, but I beleive none of these drugs are actually thinners, that is they do not reduce the viscosity of the blood. Instead, they modify how fast the blood coagulates, either from a true coagulation process, or from the action of the platelets. The aspirin modifys (reduces) the action of the platelets. Somebody surely knows more about this than I do, and your thoughts are welcome. Chris

"Blood Thinners"

"Blood Thinners"

In my mind, you have given a much better, briefer explanation of the functions of Coumadin and aspirin than most cardiologists could do. I agree. I take approximately 20mg Coumadin per week and a baby aspirin each day. It works for me!

My cardio put me on aspirin 325 mg a year ago when I started having problems with my new valve and he's kept me on it ever since. Maybe he already knew something about the inefficacy of the 81 mg??

I also have noticed increased bruising/bleeding, but not too bad.

Sounds like a developing story as the research progresses. You'all keep us posted! Thanks!;)

Actually, Chris, that's exactly right. That's why Heart attack patients are supposed to take aspirin. It stops the platelettes from sticking to the walls of the arteries or veins, and thus makes it harder for the blood clot to stick, and when someone has high cholesterol, it makes it so the plateletts don't narrow the space for the blood to go through.
At least this is what I have heard through research, I don't know if I am right or not.

blindness?

blindness?

I had a discussion about aspirin with the big health nut at work this week (who has no idea that I had surgery or any sort of heart disease!!) He was trying to tell me that long-term aspirin therapy causes blindness???? Anyone have any information on that one?

I am doing the 81 mg. I take the enteric coated version that supposedly protects the stomach by dissolving instead in the intestine. But, will it harm the intestine, or will it definitely NOT harm the intestine, or is this something yet to be learned?

By the way, the health nut at work - he (not knowing my situation!) was telling me that heart valve problems can be healed by taking red cayenne pepper. He has a friend who supposedly healed himself of this. Of course, he couldn't provide me with any details, or what exactly was the problem. Needless to say, I took this with a grain of salt!! (and some red cayenne pepper....!) ;)

-J

Back