Thera Tears and INR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perkicar

I had lasik eye surgery a couple of years ago and my eye doctor recommended I take these to help with dry eye. Can they interfere with mh INR?
Per the website:
Each 4 softgels contain 187 IU of Vitamin E, 1000 mg of Flaxseed Oil, 450 mg of EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid from Fish Oil) and 300 mg of DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid from Fish Oil). Four softgels provide 30 calories.
I take two softgels a day.

Carolyn

From my understanding, it can affect the INR. I believe it can raise your INR, the question is how much? If you do start taking it, get your INR tested prior to and then shortly after starting.

Dry Eye post LASIK

Dry Eye post LASIK

Hi!

Still to new to offer much about the coumadin/INR, but after LASIK we would offer our patients Refresh lubricating eye drops in a post op kit. There is also a thicker Refresh that has more gel like properties that also worked very well, but better to use before bed as it may blur the vision a bit. I don't recall any contraindications with Refresh, but it is always best to check.

Good luck!

Karlynn is right on that the vitamins could affect your INR. However, if you stay consistent in taking them her advice on testing prior to and after taking them is 100% right on. I would see a problem more if you took them on and off - then your INR may fluctuate. I take Thera-Tears drops for Ocular Rosacea and love them. My Dr. has given me samples of Refresh also but for some reason I still really like the Thera Tears drops to avoid dry eye.

Shirley

Karlynn said:
From my understanding, it can affect the INR. I believe it can raise your INR, the question is how much? If you do start taking it, get your INR tested prior to and then shortly after starting.

Thanks, Karlynn, I was trying to figure out which direction it might send my INR. I recently dropped to 2.0 and was scratching my head why. Getting tested tomorrow and we'll see what going to 7.5 4 days a week and 5 3 days a week has done.

I would be careful with this

I would be careful with this

Carolyn:
All of the things you have mentioned, Vitamin E, Flaxseed Oil, EPA, and DHA affect the blood platelets. You may recall conversations here on aspirin and plavix. Well, the things you mentioned work in the same manner that aspirin and Plavix do. Platelet activity will NOT show up on a prothrombin test thus iit will not show up on your INR.

Albert had several bleeds earlier this year which doctors attributed to platelet problems. The links that follow will give you some further information.
http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/nmdrugprofiles/nutsupdrugs/fis_0106.shtml (Especially "precautions.")
Perhaps Al Lodwick will comment on this. He has addressed platelet concerns in the past. Sadly, there is no easy test for platelet action.

Regards,
Blanche
http://www.seagrant.umn.edu/fish/oil.html
http://www.supergreen.biz/fish-oil.html

I have seen two people today who took flaxseed oil with their warfarin and the INR was low. I think the fiber in the flaxseed binds the warfarin and it never gets absorbed into your body. So take the flaxseed stuff two hours or more away from the warfarin dose.

allodwick said:
I have seen two people today who took flaxseed oil with their warfarin and the INR was low. I think the fiber in the flaxseed binds the warfarin and it never gets absorbed into your body. So take the flaxseed stuff two hours or more away from the warfarin dose.

Thanks Al! I was back up to 3.1 today but since I haven't taken the flaxseed for several weeks, I'll consider this my "pre". I'll get checked again in 3 weeks and we'll see what has happened. And I will take it at least 2 hours away from taking my coumadin.

Latest posts

Back