The Great Leap Forward!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

alpage

I've been waiting two weeks to hear about my referral to Dr. David. I phoned my cardiologist's secretary again this morning and she hadn't heard back, but suggested I phone Dr. David's office myself. I called and left a message on the voice mail. Late in the afternoon his secretary (Susan) called back and said there were some cancellations and he could see me Thursday morning and was I available. I refrained from the proverbial "Wild horses couldn't..." cliche and said I would be happy to accept the appointment!

I was so happy to hear back from his office. If this cancellation hadn't come up I might have had to wait until January. Which I really don't want as I had a funny episode last night. My car broke down and I had to have it towed. By time I got home I felt a bit of an ache in my sternum and my valve felt very noisy. If I put my hand over my sternum it feels a lot like the vibration of a cat purring. I went to the local drop-in medical clinic, but while I was waiting to see the doctor (only about 15 minutes) the sensation receded. The doctor listened to my heart, took my blood pressure, etc. and basically said to take it easy - no obvious problem he could identify though my murmur was really loud. Also to check with my cardiologist if it recurs.

Now I know from my angiogram that I have no coronary artery disease and the discomfort was very, very mild, but it's still not a great feeling. I guess my valve is quite calcified, with a narrow slit that the blood passes through. It's as if the valve was like a whistle or reed and the blood is sometimes making it vibrate at a low frequency. Fortunately I will be seeing Dr. David Thursday morning and perhaps he can tell me what is going on. I haven't had any discomfort in my chest since then or any other symptoms. In fact, as soon as I found out that I was going to see Dr. David on Thursday I started feeling wonderful.

Anyone else have these types of symptoms? I really would like to have my valve replaced sooner rather than later.

Alan

I haven't but getting into the doctor's office is a start to getting help. There could be a number of things causing your problem, do not rush having surgery till you have a throurough exam. In your country, I uderstand that there is usually a wait for surgery anyway, so make sure before having it done. You have to be sure of what you are dealing with first. So go to the appointment and let us know what happens. Never take any chances either. You are lucky to have found us. Hang in there and you will have some answers soon.

Caroline
Aortic valve replacement
St Jude's valve

Caroline,

You may not have read the other threads I have previously posted. I don't know what is causing these specific symptoms, but I do know that valve replacement is most definitely required. In fact, 5 years ago my cardiologist predicted I would need replacement around about this time. I am fortunate to have had regular followups using a variety of tests. I've had many echocardiograms and an angiogram and the nuclear medicine bicycle scan test and my aortic valve is narrowed, calcified and in bad shape. I would hope that these tests would have revealed most other potential problems. I haven't had an MRI and I suppose there are a few other tests I could still have. The main choices left are what type of valve to replace it with and how soon.

It's been a pretty long process just getting from the cardiologist to the surgeon. I had my most recent echo in September, then had to wait a month for the angiogram, then three more weeks to discuss the results with the cardiologist (because he was out of town for a while), then two more weeks to get the appointment with the cardiac surgeon. So three months gone since the cardiologist and I talked about needing surgery. The valve hasn't gotten any better in that time. I'm more than ready for surgery at this point. Waiting is not fun. I'd have surgery next week if it was offered to me. But today I suddenly feel wonderful!

Alan

alpage,

I think I know what you're talking about. I have had annoying palpitations, not rapid heartbeat but a flutter feeling forever now. This week though, they have changed to an out and out thrust and after some of them it feels like my heart is actually quivering or vibrating. Like your cat scenario. I don't know what it means either but I too have an appointment on Thursday not with a surgeon but another cardio for a surgeon recommendation. I'll ask too and get back to you. Queenie

On the list for surgery

On the list for surgery

Saw Dr. David today. I need Aortic Valve replacement, which I already knew. My aorta is a bit enlarged and, since he feels that I would be at risk long term for aortic aneurism, he wants to replace the aorta as well. Time frame for surgery would be May or June, based on the current waiting list. I will get an exact date later on. Based on my overall situation there was no specific reason to favor one valve type over another so, after some discussion about the usual risks and benefits, I am left to ponder tissue vs mechanical.

A big weight is already off my mind so I think I will just put all this on the back burner until the new year and enjoy the holiday season.

Al-
I had those feelings. That purring sensation is called the "thrill." I didn't make that up, my cardio told that is the medical term.
I could feel that purring/flutter a lot. You can also feel the murmur in your neck. Weird.
But, since surgery I don't have those funy sensations, no palpitations and can't hear the murmur in my head!
Good luck with your appt.

-Mara

hi al!
so glad you got to see dr. david. i imagine you liked him, right? how nice that you will be able to relax and enjoy the holidays and resume your "research" in the new year. time is truly a luxury.
about the purring... there were nights (pre-surgery) when i could actually hear joey's valve making weird purring sounds while just lying next to him. how scary. atleast you know why they happen.
please keep us posted when you resume your investigation as to what type of valve you decide on.
good luck and have a happy and healthy holiday!
-sylvia

My meeting with Dr. David seemed to go by very quickly. Compared to some of the challenging cases he's done my condition is perhaps rather routine. I don't smoke, I have no coronary artery disease or other medical conditions, and treatment is reasonably straightforward. I've long since accepted that I need surgery, so there's no need to spend a lot of time explaining what a valve is and why mine needs replacing. So we got straight to business and talked about when I can have surgery, and any exercise limitations, and a few other minor questions.

It's reassuring to know that others have the same symptoms. I find it impossible to go to sleep on my stomach as the 'noise' is too annoying!

Alan

Latest posts

Back