Terrorism in DC?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

We live by the Potomac in Virginia seven miles from the White House. This AM I realized I have something to worry about beside
the performance of my St.Jude mitral valve and my INR. The Washington Post said authorities believe a terrorist attack in our area will happen in the near future. We were advised to assemble a disaster kit with essential food ,water, and supplies for three days. This should include one gallon of water per person per day.
A disaster kit is recommended to be kept in your car and another at work. We are asked to designate one room in our homes as a "safe" room where we can take shelter in case of a chemical or biological attack. Use plastic and duct tape to secure the doors windows and vents. Etc......Etc.... How are things out in other areas of the country?

Atlanta News too

Atlanta News too

They said same thing...3 days worth of food and water. Thank goodness we have caves up here in these hills.:D Sister lives in Walhalla, S.C. with a Nuclear plant. She also works for Red Cross...said it would be bad on them when we go to war.
She oversees soldiers trying to come home for family deaths, Got a boy home not long ago for his Mother's open-heart surgery. I heard them say it may be this week because it's the end of ???they are having over there. Take care..Bonnie

Bonnie,

Not to change the subject, but I have a sister-in-law that lives in walhalla, we call it hogwalla. She is a school teacher there. My son lived there awhile when he was at Clemson. small world, hey?

As far as preparing for any acts of terroism, I think the strategy is to follow the patern set by the people of Israel. they've known plenty.

I was waiting for this topic to pop up. Chicago has not been given a 'specific' warning. It applies to all.

Curious, how many of you are preparing? We always have enough food and supplies on hand in our home. I am a Costco/Sam's junkie:D

Tape and plastic, well that's another story. I made certain we have OTC medical supplies on hand. Household dissinfectants, etc. My Rx's have been refilled. Not much more we can do about it
:(

Last edited:
Duct tape

Duct tape

Just came over the Atlanta news again..Hubby said he sure was glad he bought a roll of duct tape last week:D It's going to disappear off the shelves like milk and bread when forecasters predict snow in the South.:D My question..what happens after 3 days:confused: :confused: :confused: Heard this morning where there was a guy in a raft boat under the Oakland bridge with scuba gear:eek: :eek: Glad I don't live in any big cities.:) :) Bonnie

Disaster prep

Disaster prep

I would love to say that here in California we are already prepared, but we're not. The rest of the country is now getting the information that we have been getting for years.

I worked at the Office of Emergency Services booth at the County fair in 1999, and everyone was asking about how to prepare for Y2K. They got the same information about 3 days of supplies etc., they just weren't told to designate a "safe-room". I told people that we had more to worry about with an earthquake here than everything failing when 2000 rolled around.

Probably not a bad idea for everyone to get prepared around the country. Historically there have been some very big earthquakes in the mid-west/east coast...

Cheers!

Will

Oh my..the world keeps getting scarier!

As Will said, we Californians have been told to keep emergency supplies on hand at all times...just in case. I keep my house well stocked with bottled water, cans of sodas, and other canned goods. Flashlights, batteries, candles and matches along with duct tape are always here, too. A manual can opener is a must. Now I'll have to think about a 'safe room' and plastic. Also important is to remember to rotate the can goods/water, etc. so suplies stay fresh.

I also have an extra supply of all my Rx's and first aid items. I pray for the safety of us all. I imagine everyone is close to something that could be a possible 'target area'....it just scares me so much!

Take care all,

Zipper/Joan

Wow, I can't even fathom what I'm reading here. The top story in Toronto today is our hockey team. Maybe us Canadians are in denial or something. I've got to give it to you guys for staying so calm about this.

Take care everyone.

I'm in-between...

I'm in-between...

Philadelphia, New york City, and DC are all within driving distance, I've been too busy to watch the news, but it's funny how I just stocked up on bottle water.

I better refill the coumadin ASAP

Terry40

I accidentally bought a big ole roll of duct tape last week - but, do we really think we are safe with duct tape and plastic wraps? Come on guys, let's get real. If it comes this way - we ain't safe. It's not coming. If it does, none of us are safe, especially with duct tape.

Ann, your right. Just the thought of having much supplies may comfort us correct:confused: We are all deeply upset. It's difficult to comment much further. In a state of shock.

Yes, Gina - you are right - we need whatever we can find to give us comfort right now. I have one daughter who is in complete panic, I am not very comfortable, either but try to just go on as always. And every day things seem to just get worse. Bad news increases. But it just boggles my mind that we are spending so much money on the home front protection, yet our local agencies don't know what to do any more than you and me, and then the feds come along and tell us to buy duct tape???? So, ok, we do that, we fix up our windows, get 3 days of water and food - what do we do after the 3 days? What these instructions amount to are what we do in Florida in preparation for a hurricane. Except for one thing. We know what to do when the hurricane blows over. They have been telling us that in spite of all these dire warnings, we are to live everyday as usual - what? Are they kidding? Duct tape does not make me happy.:confused:

Would anyone like to take my seat on American Airlines out of London Heathrow next week bound for Chicago?:D Wonder why I didn't book Lufthansa?

BBC news has been telling and showing us all the military tanks surrounding Heathrow as there has been a terrorism threat. They even considered closing Heathrow a couple of days ago. Seems they have info the terrorists may fire a rocket at an airliner.

Guess I'll have to duck! :D

Who me paranoid? Nah, never -- life's too short!

Gina-- nice to read you shop at Costco, I own Costco .000000001% owner:D

Did you ever wonder why there aren't Christian terroists threatening/ committing, acts of death and destruction on Muslim populations?? Did anyone ever threaten to destroy Mecca? Is it because Christians are against this kind of stuff and Muslims are not? (death to the infidels) Are all non-Muslims infidels? Just wondering and wandering thoughts. ( If there were no Muslims in the USA, would you feel safer?)

I think the duct tape and plastic provide a secure air space in a room temporarily until poisen/biologic danger is over.?????

:confused:

Well, I have a problem using plastic and duct tape to seal off one room to live in. I read in the paper this morning, we should pick one room, use the plastic and duct tape to seal off everything including the vents. Turn off your furnace, keep your radio tuned to find out what to do after three days, or sooner depending on what happens and if there is still fallout around.

I live in the Chicago area, as does Perry, Gina, Steve, Cort, Pegne and anyone else I missed, sorry! Well freeze to death in three days with no heat. Our weather has been brutally cold the last month or so. So we'd be in a sealed environment with no heat. Of course you would wear plenty of clothes, but with no heat? Guess I better hurry south in a hurry, huh?

How about it Lorraine. Hummmm 10 degrees and -20 wind chill. We could last a half a day (after we "seal up") without heat. We hear some are purchasing generators. If it gets to that, sealing off our homes. Would hate to see what the world will look like after three days. We would best in a higher place if you catch my drift. Praying it does not come to that.

You all take care!

This sure all adds up to nervous, bad attitudes for me. With Germany and France and Russia poopin' all over us, I have about decided, "OK, we won't do anything, BUT if something happens in their neck of the woods...don't you dare expect us to come a runnn'!" Do they want us to wait until he nukes the Mediterranean?

Most of the supplies they mentioned we keep for winter wonderland storms downing the power anyway. Duct tape and plastic are on the list.

Our local news and papers have mentioned it but not too frantically. I think we are rollin' with the punches. I think a lot of this is no different that before. The Feds just want to cover their hinnies with warning so we won't blame them like some idiots did after 911.

It certainly is a tense time. But I do believe I probably have more of a chance of being held hostage by the weather than terrorists.

Duct and cover!

Duct and cover!

My daughters Kris and Debbie just flew to Madrid to visit Kris' daughter Jessica who is coming up on semester break at the University of Madrid.( she's an exchange Spanish and journalism major from the University of Georgia) They said Heathrow was a mess when they went through due to a terrorist threat. The girls remember how in the 1950's when they were in elementary school they were taught to "duck and cover" to avoid the ill effects of a nuclear bomb. Now Kris says its "duct(tape) and cover" !

Latest posts

Back