Surgery scheduled for Synergraft AVR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

BrooksM

Hi All,
I just finalized my surgery date, gulp. Thursday it is (yes, this Thursday.) I finally got my letter of approval from the ins. company Sat. and called Mayo this morning to see if I could schedule it for mid-June. She said that Dr. Zehr was gone for most of June but the May 23rd was open. I don't think I can get in for a haircut that quick.
Anyway any last minute advice would be appreciated. I'm kind of glad it's working out this way because everyone says waiting is the worst part. I'll be sure to keep everyone updated.

Brooks McIntyre
AVR Scheduled 5/23/02 w/ Dr. Zehr , Mayo

I can imagine the "Gulp". Sounds like your bluff got called too.
As for suggestions, you might like to see some of the ones I got in this thread:
http://www.valvereplacement.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1579
I'll certainly keep you in my prayers and thoughts as you go through yours. If anyone can post on your behalf, please have them do so. ;)
I'll see ya coming down the face of the mountain.
Best wishes and Good luck!

Oh gosh, I can just imagine how the "gulp" stuck in your throat!

Get a pillow, a recliner, and some good books.

The other side of the mountain has so much to offer. You will be there late Thursday!

God speed you on your journey

Marybeth

Hi Brooks-

What a surprise it must have been, but good to get it over with and on to healing mode.

I wish you the very best surgical result possible, and hope that someone can let us know when you're out of surgery, we'll all be waiting to hear.

Good luck and God speed.

Hi Brooks

Wow, I thought my 3 weeks was a short time to prepare :)

Get yourself a cough pillow to support your sternum post-op. It will become your best friend / security blanket. Also, a light robe to cover that which the hospital gown does not.

Best of luck during your upcoming procedure. We're all pulling for you, I'm sure you'll do fine.

Johnny

Hi Brook,

Joining the others in prayers for you on Thursday! It'll be so great to have it all behind you! Think positive and have faith...everything will be fine!

Zipper

Hi Brooks..I only had 3 days also..Gathered my family for Breakfast out..watched my Grandson play Little League..and the next thing I knew I was in a Private Room at St. Joseph's Hospital in Atlanta.....NO pain..Do not remember anything about ICU..Here I am 8 weeks later..14 lbs. lighter..with my St. Jude's clicking away..and a second chance to watch my grandson play ball . I know you will do great and I will be thinking and praying for you..Bonnie

Hey Brooks - doesn't look like you needed a haircut anyway. Prayers are with you as you trot along that path to the mountain and yours will be up and over quickly. We will be anxious to know how you fare so if somebody can let us know, we appreciate it. Godspeed

Hi Brooks,

It's a trade-off, but I think quick beats the waiting game. I had my first AVR 25 years after I was first told that I needed it! Now, it's been several months that I've known I'll need surgery again, and am in monthly monitoring mode. Sometimes I think it would be a blessing to just get it over with, and other times I'm glad to put it off. A lot really depends on how bad the symptoms are. Last time, I wanted to keep putting it off. But, when my CHF symptoms got really bad, I didn't want to linger any more in that condition.

In any case, I wish you well and Godspeed. Good luck with the SynerGraft. I still think it's the most promising valve development going, even though mine hasn't worked out.

See you soon on the other side of the mountain!

Steve

Use your Inspire-o-meter religiously, post-op.

Use your Inspire-o-meter religiously, post-op.

Wouldn't hurt to practice with it a bit beforehand. But use it frequently, it will help your lungs return to normal better than anything else you can do. You'll hate it, but do it.

IF you get the urge to sneeze, press your index finger crossways just under your nose, with a bit of force in the concave space on your upper lip. It may help cut down the severity and number of sneezes, which you would well do without.

If you can, try and meet as many members of the surgical team as you can, while on the table. It'll keep you busy as the sedative takes effect and before lights out. Offer them bribes of boxes or crates of Belgian Chocolates or other incentives that seem appropriate to perform their best work ever. Promise them anything.

"...may the fair winds be at your back, the road rise up to meet you straight and true..."

AVR: CCF, 4/00, Cosgrove
25 Bovine Pericardial Valve.

Brooks-
Relax. you'll be fine. Dr.Zehr is great, Mayo is great. What are you worried about? It's a sinch. You will not remember anything after the anesthesiologist gives you that "happy shot." Another 4 weeks and you'll be doing things you haven't done in years. The difference in how you feel post-op is so amazing!

Try not to stress, because there is nothing to stress over. Zehr knows what he's doing.
Take the family out to dinner tonight and relax. You'll do fine!!! God's looking out for you.

See you on the other side!
And welcome to the SynerGraft club!
-Mara

Hey Brooks!
Geez, I remember when I first gave you Dr. Zehr's e-mail address, and here you are getting your valve before me! Maybe they think I'm more valuable as a "referrer" than I am as a patient! Actually, I did get a valve lined up, but declined due to the donor being a few years older than me...my surgeon thought I should hold out for someone the same age or younger based on my other-wise very fit condition. Soooo, still waiting! Part of this waiting is that I am going outside of the "established" aortic SynerGraft launch sites of Mayo and Oklahoma, and I believe both sites started out with a stash of valves.

Anyhow, since I've personally seen the facilities at Mayo when I visited Jennie, I can tell you that you are going to like it a lot. Extremely modern, post-cardiac surgery rooms are all singles, I think, and everything looks extremely modern and sparkling. I just know you are going to do great, and you'll be home recovering before you know it.

Tons of good wishes and positive vibes,
--John

Last edited:
Hey Brooks,

I agree that the worst part was the waiting. On the morning of the surgery (5:00 a.m.) everything went real fast. I don't remember falling asleep. My kids said I was in la-la land. At any rate, the surgery felt like it took a few seconds. My first thought when I woke up was when did it start. I'm sure you will do fine. You'll be in my prayers.

God Bless.

Surgery scheduled for Synergraft AVR

Hey Brooks,

Know what you went thru"..the waiting is a pain in the a---!
In many ways you have it lucky. Hang in there my friend... the Good Lord will hold you in the palm of His Hand. All will be well.

Jack ( Welland )
still waiting for the surgeon's call

hi brooks!
i think it's frightening but good that you'll be doing this sooner than later. in less than 2 days you'll take a nap and when you wake up it will all be behind you. you will be on your way to recovery!
we will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. please let us know how you are and how things went.
God bless and be well, sylvia

go for it, dude!!

go for it, dude!!

Hey Brooks!

Wishing you all the best! Having just walked the same path four weeks ago today (April 23 vs. your May 23) with the same valve, surgeon, and hospital, I know what you're dealing with here! And you're in great hands - Zehr's and God's. The hardest part is over already (I hope, anyway!!), I'm rooting for you all the way and hoping that, like me, you'll soon be looking back with amazement at how well everything went. Soon the dark clouds will be making way for sunny skies, and you'll be back playing sports with your kids!

Gary - those chocolates sound great! How much salt is in those?? ;) But those Mayo folks, let me tell you, chocolates will be more of a "thank you" than a bribe for them, they took wonderful care of me!!

So, you're in my prayers big time this week. And let me join Steve and Mara in welcoming you to the SynerGraft Club!! Talk to you when you get out of the slammer.

-Jennie

Last edited:
Best of luck tomorrow Brooks. Sounds like your in good hands at the Mayo Clinic and rest is easy. You will be back on your feet in no time.

Hey Brooks

Hey Brooks

wow ...not a long wait ....but I'm sure it's better your way than mine where I feel I've been waiting forever ...you take care on Thursday ..I'll be thinking and praying for you ...Let us know how you get on ...
Best wishes
Scottie

Latest posts

Back