Surgery postponed....

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan CA

So I completed my pre-op chest x-ray, pre-op EKG and pre-op labs. The next day I recieved a call from the hospital informing me that my AVR surgery needed to be postponed from June 2nd to June 23rd. My first reaction was "OH CRAP", was something not right with my labs????

Nope...I was bumped for TWO...not just one, but two patients awaiting heart transplants who had donors come available. Awesome for the two recipients, terrible for the donors and thier families.......I am definitely 3rd to be considered in this case and I cant really complain about it.

On a postiive note....pretty pumped up that when there needs to be an emergency heart trasnplant.....my surgeon is the one they call.

So, it will be an additional 3 weeks before I can get back on my bike. Clearly there are worse things that can happen.

Ryan

Oh, I know how that feels. Mine got postponed from May 20, to the 29th.
9 days, not so bad, but I was bummed about it too for about three hours.

Then I realized I must be in really good shape and somebody else needs it more than I do at this point. My surgeon also does heart (and lung) transplants and is the head of the department, so I am certain there was some kind of rearranging due to emergencies or somebody in way worse condition, so I feel blessed all in all. It also allowed me to get to see my son march in the Memorial Day parade yesterday, with his high school band - something I would not have been up for had I had surgery last Tuesday. So a blessing in disguise... I do love a good parade and appreciate that I got to see that, as well as a few extra baseball games with my son's team.

All of my tests were great as well, which has actually been a nice bonus about all of this - I am not pre-diabetic, have great arteries (no cholesterol build up) got the great dental care I needed and all my other labs were pretty much perfect too. Things I wouldn't have done or have had tested any time soon, had it not been for this.

I hope your extra wait time passes quickly and calmly for you. :)

So I completed my pre-op chest x-ray, pre-op EKG and pre-op labs. The next day I recieved a call from the hospital informing me that my AVR surgery needed to be postponed from June 2nd to June 23rd. My first reaction was "OH CRAP", was something not right with my labs????

Nope...I was bumped for TWO...not just one, but two patients awaiting heart transplants who had donors come available. Awesome for the two recipients, terrible for the donors and thier families.......I am definitely 3rd to be considered in this case and I cant really complain about it.

On a postiive note....pretty pumped up that when there needs to be an emergency heart trasnplant.....my surgeon is the one they call.

So, it will be an additional 3 weeks before I can get back on my bike. Clearly there are worse things that can happen.

Ryan

Totally agree with you, Ryan!

I've always believed that there is a reason "why" things happen the way they do, such as in your case.....there's two people who's urgency for surgery surpassed your need. But in the process, you gained the knowledge and reassurance you needed by knowing that your surgeon was performing their surgery! How's that for a boost in confidence?!

So hang in there....your bike will be waiting for you!

Good luck! :)

Totally agree with you, Ryan!

I've always believed that there is a reason "why" things happen the way they do, such as in your case.....there's two people who's urgency for surgery surpassed your need. But in the process, you gained the knowledge and reassurance you needed by knowing that your surgeon was performing their surgery! How's that for a boost in confidence?!

So hang in there....your bike will be waiting for you!

Good luck! :)

It is so good to read the great attitude about postponed surgeries.
My first OHS, I was the emergency and at the time was too sick to fully understand my surgeon bumped someone he had scheduled in order to do my emergency surgery. When it came time for my second OHS, I seriously believed I would be 'paying it forward' and this time I would be the one bumped but that didn't happen.

I had been in CICU for days and too ill for surgery. When they finally deemed me strong/well enough, they wanted me in the OR as soon as possible. That was 10 years ago. :)

Latest posts

Back